General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Out of interest... who's right and who's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2014, 12:02 AM
tsutton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of interest... who's right and who's wrong?

I posted this video on Facebook group and a number of truckers were saying that it's both of the cars in front of me are at their fault for making this happen.

But I disagree and I think it's the HGV driver who is at its fault for this.

So I thought I'd post it here... what's your views?

Old 16-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

How can it be the cars fault, they are already on the roundabout. I can't imagine they both flashed to let him out

And they we going a safe speed.

Typical 'I win because I'm driving something bigger' situation
Old 16-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Fullflush

And they are both indicating correctly
Old 16-03-2014, 01:07 AM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

wagon drivers fault
Old 16-03-2014, 01:42 AM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Had exactly the same thing, ironically, also on the A47 at Lynn. Dopey twat pulled straight out on me. Completely oblivious! Couldn't even use the obligatory 'sorry, didn't see you cos I'm LHD, so i can get away with anything' card!
Where abouts was that?
Old 16-03-2014, 06:41 AM
RigPig

There must be some thing about the Ipswich road roundabout, same thing happened there to me last week.
Old 16-03-2014, 07:50 AM
tsutton

Originally Posted by cossiestu
Where abouts was that?
Postwick roundabout, leaving Norwich, going toward A140 (Ipswich) - it's next to the Park & Ride.
Old 16-03-2014, 07:52 AM
tsutton

Originally Posted by RigPig
There must be some thing about the Ipswich road roundabout, same thing happened there to me last week.
Thickthorn roundabout - drivers using the wrong lanes & switching lanes without any signals.

Postwick roundabout - HGV ploughing through traffic.

Welcome to Norfolk. ;P
Old 16-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The phrases: Give way to right and pull out when safe to do so, come to mind!!! Stupid lorry driver!!
Old 16-03-2014, 08:09 AM
tsutton

Originally Posted by Maxwell
The phrases: Give way to right and pull out when safe to do so, come to mind!!! Stupid lorry driver!!
Yep, exactly.

However the small group of HGV driver on Facebook disagreed with that! They kept saying how the Punto should be indicating to the RIGHT before indicating to the LEFT even that the Punto is going 'straight' and other bullshit they came up to why the HGV had the right of the way!

Others posted photos & diagrams of the roundabout and who had the right of way, etc but they were not accepting the real facts and that we were wrong including these two cars on the roads.

Makes you think how the HGV drivers behave on the roads out there... :/
Old 16-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Steve.L
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happens all the time,Idiot bullies comes to mind
Nights of the road ? Nope
Old 16-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tsutton
Yep, exactly.

However the small group of HGV driver on Facebook disagreed with that! They kept saying how the Punto should be indicating to the RIGHT before indicating to the LEFT even that the Punto is going 'straight' and other bullshit they came up to why the HGV had the right of the way!

Others posted photos & diagrams of the roundabout and who had the right of way, etc but they were not accepting the real facts and that we were wrong including these two cars on the roads.

Makes you think how the HGV drivers behave on the roads out there... :/

Must be a seperate Highway Code for hgv drivers and plg drivers

The car in the outside lane should have been indicating right, but the car on the inside lane hadnt determined his/her exit, so therefore if they had their indicator on or not, its irrelevant. Deal is, the hgv driver pulled a dangerous move. Ffs there where cars in the junction before, who didnt pull out. Yet that lorry and trailer did, with no consideration for others!!

Last edited by Maxwell; 16-03-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:34 AM
david 100
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe its the truck driver getting his own back on the other arses he come across during his working day.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:57 AM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by tsutton

Welcome to Norfolk. ;P
There does seem to be something about shit driving in East Anglia!?
Although, it wouldnt be the first time I've seen an artic driver have to wait for ages, before seemingly think fuck this, I'm off!?
Obviously, an artic is not the quickest thing to get off the line!
Old 16-03-2014, 09:02 AM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Great driving
Old 16-03-2014, 09:49 AM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by david 100
Maybe its the truck driver getting his own back on the other arses he come across during his working day.
No bigger arsehole than an arrogant truck driver
Old 16-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm a HGV driver and the Artic was definitley in the wrong.
Rich
Old 16-03-2014, 11:04 AM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

The truck was in the wrong, however, how many times have you come across a truck that has made a move, rightly or wrongly, and you have to slow down to allow them to complete it? That was 2 seconds of anyones time to slow down, and no where near as bad as its made out to be!
Get a grip people! Lol.
Old 16-03-2014, 11:21 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

There not the fastest of things and if people don't let you out some times you have to take matters into your own hands lol I swear people think 40 odd ton trucks are just as nimble as there cars
Old 16-03-2014, 12:16 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Typical lorry driver move. Can't wait because his times more precious than others so under the excuse of not being able to nip out like a car just drives at traffic expecting it to move/stop.

Lorry should definitely have waited for a better opportunity and was definitely in the wrong for insurance purposes had there been an accident
Old 16-03-2014, 12:37 PM
DixieTheKid
Pick-up P100 Power!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a professional/hgv driver so they say. Truck driver is 100% at fault!
Old 16-03-2014, 12:40 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by DixieTheKid
I'm a professional/hgv driver so they say. Truck driver is 100% at fault!
He is at fault defo but you must have sat at a junction for ages and ages with every one wizzing buy not giving up room and thought right fuck it I'm going at some point lol it happens
Old 16-03-2014, 12:54 PM
DixieTheKid
Pick-up P100 Power!

Originally Posted by ajamesc
He is at fault defo but you must have sat at a junction for ages and ages with every one wizzing buy not giving up room and thought right fuck it I'm going at some point lol it happens
Paid by the hour mate so ill wait
Old 16-03-2014, 01:30 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I always disregard people's indicators anyway, when asked the question when learning to drive what other car's indications mean, it just means that they have forgotten to switch them off.

There are two cars going round the roundabout, heading for the truck, so yes, he was 100% in the wrong for pulling out.
Old 16-03-2014, 01:47 PM
dampy
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

the lorry driver is an absolute DICKHEAD
Old 16-03-2014, 02:29 PM
hardasrs

yes the truck driver is in the wrong, but being a truck driver i can say i have to do this sometimes myself, the gaps in the traffic are there but gone within a second before the next car is there. by the time you have seen a gap and have started moving off/pulling out, car drivers should of seen what your doing and slowed down a little like in the video. im not say this i right at all, but its just something we have to do at times, any truck driver saying they don't do this is talking crap, if only some car drivers could just try pulling a truck out from a busy roundabout(just once), im shore some might be a little more simperfetic toward us truckers.
Old 16-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Fullflush

Why don't you just be more patent?

How is a car approaching supposed to know you have been stuck for ages?

Totally arrogant
Old 16-03-2014, 03:00 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by Fullflush
Why don't you just be more patent?

How is a car approaching supposed to know you have been stuck for ages?

Totally arrogant
To be fair on a busy junction in a loaded tractor and trailor waiting for a long enough gap means your not going to be able to pull out
Old 16-03-2014, 03:06 PM
DixieTheKid
Pick-up P100 Power!

Any hgv driver should know the he was in the wrong lane. He cut across two lanes when he clearly didnt need to. Left right or straight over on a round in a lorry you should be in the left hand lane unless signed.

My guess would be he/she is inpatient and was jumping the que onto the round about.

Plus they are coming out of a weight limit, should he of even been in that weight limit in the first place?

Last edited by DixieTheKid; 16-03-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 16-03-2014, 04:48 PM
david 100

Eveyone moaning about the truck driver as though they never make a mistake on the road, there are some car drivers who want to spend a week in a cab of a truck and see who the arseholes realy are on the road.
Old 16-03-2014, 04:51 PM
DixieTheKid
Pick-up P100 Power!

Originally Posted by david 100
Eveyone moaning about the truck driver as though they never make a mistake on the road, there are some car drivers who want to spend a week in a cab of a truck and see who the arseholes realy are on the road.
well said
Old 16-03-2014, 06:12 PM
BillyBrown

Its clear to say it was the HGV at fault... But we should all know they struggle to get out at a roundabout. Junctions are different because at least people can give way to them, on a busy day how else are they supposed to get out? In this video it looks like the lorry hesitated a bit before setting off.

Last edited by BillyBrown; 16-03-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 16-03-2014, 06:42 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

its POSSIBLE the situation is as follows, due to the overpass all you see is a car suddenly coming at you at 40mph from the bridge, you cannot see any further around the roundabout to look for a gap. so the gap between the white punto and the car in front may have looked big enough when the driver put his foot on the throttle. in these new automatic hgv's there is a delay between putting your foot on the throttle and the vehicle actually moving forwards, the gearboxes are crap and dont select the corect gear until after you push the pedal, this can sometimes take more than a second or 2! if this is the case then the driver sees a gap that LOOKS big enough to pull out into, so he puts his foot down, the hgv then clunks into gear and eventually starts moving, then the first of those 2 cars becomes visible from the overpass, its a choice of try to stop in a hurry and possibly lose your load and be stopped half way out in the roundabout anyway or hope that the cars will slow down a little to allow you to pull out. its not easy stopping 40 odd tonnes once its going and its not easy getting it going with a time window of a second for the vehicle to start and no warning of approaching vehicles around a busy roundabout with no visibility where any gap is quickly swallowed up by cars accelerating as hard as they can to fill the gap in front of them.
it shouldnt have happened but everyone makes mistakes and without driving an hgv youll never know how badly a lot of car drivers behave towards large vehicles 80% of the time.
Old 16-03-2014, 06:50 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

double post

Last edited by big_wig_074; 16-03-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 16-03-2014, 07:00 PM
cossieDavedree

what camera are you using in that video tony ?
Old 16-03-2014, 10:33 PM
tsutton

Thank you VERY much for your replies, everyone, especially from these HGV drivers here. Some very interesting readings.

cossieDavedree - I'm using an old system - MiniDVR HD with bullet camera. But does the job for me!
Old 17-03-2014, 09:10 AM
david 100

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
its POSSIBLE the situation is as follows, due to the overpass all you see is a car suddenly coming at you at 40mph from the bridge, you cannot see any further around the roundabout to look for a gap. so the gap between the white punto and the car in front may have looked big enough when the driver put his foot on the throttle. in these new automatic hgv's there is a delay between putting your foot on the throttle and the vehicle actually moving forwards, the gearboxes are crap and dont select the corect gear until after you push the pedal, this can sometimes take more than a second or 2! if this is the case then the driver sees a gap that LOOKS big enough to pull out into, so he puts his foot down, the hgv then clunks into gear and eventually starts moving, then the first of those 2 cars becomes visible from the overpass, its a choice of try to stop in a hurry and possibly lose your load and be stopped half way out in the roundabout anyway or hope that the cars will slow down a little to allow you to pull out. its not easy stopping 40 odd tonnes once its going and its not easy getting it going with a time window of a second for the vehicle to start and no warning of approaching vehicles around a busy roundabout with no visibility where any gap is quickly swallowed up by cars accelerating as hard as they can to fill the gap in front of them.
it shouldnt have happened but everyone makes mistakes and without driving an hgv youll never know how badly a lot of car drivers behave towards large vehicles 80% of the time.
As I said some car drivers should spend a while in a truck before shooting every truck driver, I had a Renult Magnum and if you rushed the gearbox it would leave you with no drive at all. And as for the new auto gearbox its a bloody joke.

Last edited by david 100; 17-03-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 17-03-2014, 12:45 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BRIGSPORT
The truck was in the wrong, however, how many times have you come across a truck that has made a move, rightly or wrongly, and you have to slow down to allow them to complete it? That was 2 seconds of anyones time to slow down, and no where near as bad as its made out to be!
Get a grip people! Lol.
This. He was wrong, but he had probably been sat there for ages already. What do you want him to do? Wait until everyone else has gone home? The car drivers had plenty of time to see he was going and just slow down.

If you were sat behind him you'd be glad of what he did instead of holding you up.
Old 17-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Wagon driver my self although much bigger trucks. 120 tonnes.

Truckers fault no doubt about that.

But for those that do drive HGV will no how much a pain it is sat there for ages waiting for a big enough gap.

I've pulled out like that before, not on ourpose it to say fuck you to car drivers but because if I don't I could sit there for an age.

Frustrating for the car drivers yes but it didn't cause an accident and all the cars had to do was slow down.

But can't argue with who's at fault though.

And I bet the ones on Facebook defending the trucker are right old fuckers that haven't changed with the times.
Old 17-03-2014, 01:08 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

The Punto was pulled out on but i think the merc had time to see what was inevatiable and could of just held up slightly.

Quick Reply: Out of interest... who's right and who's wrong?