General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tax discs no longer going to be used!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Classic cars are tax exempt!

Martin
Prior to 1973. Im talking about classics are as in ones over "25yrs old"

Anythinh that can be put on classic insurance, is a classic car - eg. My Saff
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM
D16PJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe in April next year free classic tax is changing to pre 74.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by p.cressie
Should do away with tax and put the price of petrol up to compensate the loss from the road tax. Then those who use the roads most will pay the most. Don't see why I should pay the same road tax and do 8000 miles a year as someone who does 20000.
Agreed
It would also mean all the foreign cars and lorries would be paying towards whatever it is that we pay for.

There's obviously a lot more money to be made by the government using the proposed scheme than we realise, possibly by fines issued to people for failing to comply with new system properly?.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So we can have a clean/empty windscreen, great stuff I say
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Originally Posted by brad
Agreed
It would also mean all the foreign cars and lorries would be paying towards whatever it is that we pay for.

There's obviously a lot more money to be made by the government using the proposed scheme than we realise, possibly by fines issued to people for failing to comply with new system properly?.
Thats a VERY good point also.

Its seems the most logical thing to do: abolish road tax - happy motorist. Raise fuel proces accordingly - happy government!

Win win situation
Old 05-12-2013, 05:54 PM
D16PJM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
Thats a VERY good point also.

Its seems the most logical thing to do: abolish road tax - happy motorist. Raise fuel proces accordingly - happy government!

Win win situation
cant see that happening, o.k if you drive average miles but for companies that do many miles will hit them including food/goods so ultimately cost passed on to everyone.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Originally Posted by D16PJM
cant see that happening, o.k if you drive average miles but for companies that do many miles will hit them including food/goods so ultimately cost passed on to everyone.
They would obviously get the same treatment as farmers with their agricultural machinery, as a sweetner!

Edit: Haulage companies pay massive annual tax for their fleet!! So it would all be balanced out!!

2nd edit: My 330d has a 60 litre fuel tank. Say the tax was abolished and 0.30p a liter was added to diesel. That would mean i would be paying an extra Ł18 per tank to fill it. Going at the current rate i fill my tank twice a month. Thats 24 times. 24 x Ł18 = Ł432 extra per year to run my car!!! Thats nearly double the Ł240 i already pay in tax!!

So it would be in the governments interest to abolish tax and raise fuel prices!!

Last edited by Maxwell; 05-12-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by brad
Agreed

Have you seen the size of the fuel tanks of foreign trucks? They don't buy fuel here. They are told to fill up at the docks.

Also when uk trucks go over we have to buy a tax disc once off the ferry at the nearest service station. They don't have to here so we lose out yet again.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dal_
Unfortuntely "Vehicle Excise Duty" has nothing to do with the roads. It just gets paid into the General Treasury fund. It's more of a pollution tax really.
I'm sure it used to be called 'road fund license'

Is that how they got away with the above get out ?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 PM
pumesta
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how its going to work in Northern Ireland. We display an MOT disc and the ANPR system isn't really that up to date no matter how much they say its updated/calibrated.
FFS mate it will be 20 years before it comes in over here. We cant even tax a car online yet. Putting something useful threw Stormount would only take bickering time away from flegs and pissing John Lewis off over insisting they put their new store in the centre of Belfast
Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porterste
DVLA website will tell you if a car is taxed or SORNed
Originally Posted by Carlos-Titx
Yeah it will as it will say it's expired.
not everyone uses the internet so it cant be an online only thing.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JamboRS
not everyone uses the internet so it cant be an online only thing.
Then they best move out of a cave then
Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

another one here voting to add it onto the cost of fuel, then the more miles you drive, consume fuel and pollute, the more you pay.

2 car owners:

Person A owns a Ford Focus, pays circa Ł165 a year VED, but does 20,000 miles per year in it

Person B, owns a Ferrari, pays circa Ł500 a year VED, but only uses it for weekend use and shows, does 3000 miles per year

Which pollutes most - person A, but he pay's less VED

totally unfair, as person B has driven his car less, consumed less fuel, yet pays more VED for the privilege

loading it onto fuel, makes it fairer on useage of fuel and the roads
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by D16PJM
I believe in April next year free classic tax is changing to pre 74.
It's already pre 74, it will roll forward a year next year, if the Government choose to do so.

Prior to 1973. Im talking about classics are as in ones over "25yrs old"

Anythinh that can be put on classic insurance, is a classic car - eg. My Saff
I know what you mean, but I refer to them as modern classics.

I think the term is overused slightly, for example the Focus MK1's is status is being questioned at the moment, as is the Mondeo.

Martin
Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Then they best move out of a cave then
id prob say a good percentage of older people dont have internet. therefore you cant make the tax system online only,there needs to be another option.
a lot of people cant afford internet either. i mean not everybody is on benefits
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Originally Posted by pumesta
FFS mate it will be 20 years before it comes in over here. We cant even tax a car online yet. Putting something useful threw Stormount would only take bickering time away from flegs and pissing John Lewis off over insisting they put their new store in the centre of Belfast

Genuinely made me LOL!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 PM
craigfocus
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could live with adding a small percentage been added to fuel duty to get rid of the road tax probally be a lot cheaper for me, I only do 4000 a year or Ł20 a week petrol whichever way you look at it
Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

id prob say a good percentage of older people dont have internet. therefore you cant make the tax system online only,there needs to be another option.
a lot of people cant afford internet either. i mean not everybody is on benefits
That almost seems like a stab at my comment ref benefits.

How do older folk cope now? Mostly via relatives if they can't do it them selves.

And if you can't keep a car road worthy then why should you be allowed to drive one?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Mk4 Rick
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
If the roads were spot on I wouldnt mind paying for road tax. The way these roads are its like paying the government to damage your car..

The monthly payment will be a good idea.
Well said Glenn
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say stick it on fuel, if they could be trusted to do it fairly and not then start ragging it up pence by pence as it would be less noticeable than lobbing 10-20-30 quid in s 12 month tax disc and as said, those using more fuel, pay more.

Only issue i can see if that if someone stick 12 months on say, then sell the car, the buyer checks and yep, 12 months tax. drives off and the seller then goes on line and claims his 11 months back.

Previously they would have need the physical tax disc, but online, surely they would need nothing. Buyer then has to try and fight to get some cash back off the seller when they get a non taxed vehicle letter arrive with their log book?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not read the whole thread but,...

ive not put a tax disc in my window for well over a year now with no issues
always done online

EVERYTHING is electronic and the PNC knows what you have/havent got tax,mot, insurance, dvla etc so no need for a bit of fuckin paper in the window.

Said that it was also used as another deterant for car cloning, and used as a Fraud case in court aswell as other offences if caught with false ID on a car
Old 05-12-2013, 09:54 PM
D16PJM

surely 1 negative is that it will now be easier for the scummy traffic wardens to dish out tickets, they used to take the number of the tax disc as proof, now they only need your reg.
pedroS2RST
Part of the Furniture

At the minute I believe it is still an offence not to display a valid tax disc, so you've just been fortunate that no ones spotted it.

Years ago I head one of those cheesy metal tax disc holders in my fiesta. car was sat in the sun for a few days one roasting summer which melted the sticky tabs and the disc fell off the windscreen because of the weight of the metal holder and landed in the passenger footwell.

Some arse must have spotted this and reported me for having no tax and I got a Ł30 fine for not having a valid tax disc displayed. I was raging!

Last edited by pedroS2RST; 05-12-2013 at 09:58 PM.
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

pretty use you can be done for not displaying a tax disc at the moment though.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can be done for not displaying it, i know that.

my cars are rarely used for town driving though, and all fine documents wise.

due to being a northern lad living in essex with all my car details being up north i dont think they can be arsed

but mostly its because theres no need to display it, it IS taxed so no need to question it not being in the window

also saves my old shitty Audi 80`s and Sierras having a windo blagged to loose the disc lol
Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by p.cressie
Should do away with tax and put the price of petrol up to compensate the loss from the road tax. Then those who use the roads most will pay the most. Don't see why I should pay the same road tax and do 8000 miles a year as someone who does 20000.
Agreed!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

What a load of shit, how will one know if a car is untaxed and not moved for ages so they can apply for the logbook, and claim it!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

That almost seems like a stab at my comment ref benefits.

How do older folk cope now? Mostly via relatives if they can't do it them selves.

And if you can't keep a car road worthy then why should you be allowed to drive one?
What comment ref benefits???

You cant have a system where people especially oaps need to rely on other people. It needs to be accesible to everybody.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What comment ref benefits???

You cant have a system where people especially oaps need to rely on other people. It needs to be accesible to everybody.
I've misread your post. My apologies.

But it still stands, it is accessible to every one. Old folk unfortunately need to grasp the Internet. If they can't control tax on a laptop then why would it be acceptable to control a car?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM
D16PJM

But it still stands, it is accessible to every one. Old folk unfortunately need to grasp the Internet. If they can't control tax on a laptop then why would it be acceptable to control a car?
so to own a car you must pay for a computer and a internet provider as I wouldn't be happy putting my payment details in a public computer.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Why would you have to pay for a computer????

Talk about splitting hairs.

And payment details in a public computer? There are measures to make sure it's secure and also banks will support you for monies lost if hacked.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

why do they need to grasp the internet.
why has controlling a laptop got anything to do with driving???
you think that because you use the internet and your family does that everyone should use it.some people just dont see the need for it. i know loads of people whether it be work colleagues or relations that have no interest with the internet,the prefer to communicate with there mouth and use a phone to talk to people.
some oaps have been driving for 50-60 year and never needed the internet to tax a car now your telling them they need to go online or cant get tax or check if a cars taxed they want to buy. things have moved on but it doesnt mean that people are forced to move along with it.

Easy to do all ready. Just go on the tax disc website and enter the vehicle reg and it tells you if it's taxed and run out date.
this was you original comment.
so some 65 year old guy trying to buy a car doesnt have internet now needs to go and get a laptop/smartphone of some sort get internet access to find out if a car he's buying privately is taxed. all well saying a family member/relative/friend can do it but you cant have a system where it may need to rely on others to help it work.

Last edited by JamboRS; 06-12-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Taxing a car will still be possible by phone or at Post Office.

There's no reason why checking if a car is taxed couldn't be done by phone or at the Post Office
Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

So by saving all this money on paper,staff and postage etc, saving xx millions per year our road tax will all be cheaper will it?

If so sounds like a fantastic idea saving us all this money...
If not, why bother? We pay for the paper and they certainly don't spend fook all on the roads. My daily trip to work is like a fecking rally stage

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 06-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

why do they need to grasp the internet.
why has controlling a laptop got anything to do with driving???
you think that because you use the internet and your family does that everyone should use it.some people just dont see the need for it. i know loads of people whether it be work colleagues or relations that have no interest with the internet,the prefer to communicate with there mouth and use a phone to talk to people.
some oaps have been driving for 50-60 year and never needed the internet to tax a car now your telling them they need to go online or cant get tax or check if a cars taxed they want to buy. things have moved on but it doesnt mean that people are forced to move along with it.

this was you original comment.
so some 65 year old guy trying to buy a car doesnt have internet now needs to go and get a laptop/smartphone of some sort get internet access to find out if a car he's buying privately is taxed. all well saying a family member/relative/friend can do it but you cant have a system where it may need to rely on others to help it work.
So you'd be happy sharing the roads with people that can't tax a car on line? Taxing a car online is far easier than driving a car on the road.

So no, they don't have to go buy a laptop/smart phone if someone else can help them do it. But if the easy task off typing some numbers bamboozles someone then I guess they're a cunt that doesn't indicate when driving either.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

So you'd be happy sharing the roads with people that can't tax a car on line? Taxing a car online is far easier than driving a car on the road.

So no, they don't have to go buy a laptop/smart phone if someone else can help them do it. But if the easy task off typing some numbers bamboozles someone then I guess they're a cunt that doesn't indicate when driving either.
i didnt know using a laptop was a skill needed for driving

i dont think you get it. its not the actual skill of using modern tech its the fact that some people can get by without it but there going to need to find internet from somewhere for 1 day a year to tax a car or check if a cars taxed there going to by.you seem to think that everyone uses the internet these days,thats not true. theres people in country areas that cant get a gprs reception nevermind broadband. a quick check online and it shows that 7.1(14%) have never used the internet. how many of them drive i dont know. but the ones that do your saying now need to go online to check/buy tax? why should they?
ill send them all round your house and let them use your laptop

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/rdit2/...a-q1-2013.html

ffs there was life before the internet and we all got by without it.too many people think with no internet the world would end.

Last edited by JamboRS; 06-12-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So it's a huge mammoth task to go to a library once or twice a year to tax a car or use a friends phone?

And no using a laptop or PC has fuck all to do with driving but are involved to keep it on the road.

I'm sure you're just taking the piss to cause an argument.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by rog
Makes sense, I bet the amount of people who actually get done for failure to display a tax disc is tiny anyway.
If they can save money on the administration of printing and posting tax discs then they'll do that all day long. I don't see what the negatives would be, as I would assume that it all has to go onto the database before a disc is physically issued anyway, so it's already fool proof?

from what I have read 160,000 got done last year through failure of displaying a tax disc which were reported by the public !
they prosecuted 600,000 people through analysis of there own records.
although we can buy our tax online now I don't think a lack of buying it is then enforced by the computer system it is still enforced through none display of a tax disc or someone having to physically check the records.

I may be wrong but my understanding is on the new system any vehicle that is not sorn or scrapped after approx 1 month will automatically be fined/prosecuted for no tax meaning no one with a car registered in there name will slip then net it will be a fully automated system, I feel doomsday and skynet are drawing closer and closer lol

link to what I read

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct..._Why_I-lf66-BA

I think its a brilliant idea, its easy to say our roads are shit at least they are tarmac and not dirt tracks people ! plenty have it much worse than we do !

in principal I agree with a scrap tax and increase fuel duty regieme BUT the issue is a lot of companys like haulage companys who do a lot of work for us there costs will skyrocket due to massive mileage and could potentially put an end to there businesses as the smaller companys simply wouldn't be able to bear the brunt of the added costs, taxi drivers aswell I know a taxi driver and his money isn't great as it is it would potentially make him have to quit as the maths just wouldn't add up if fuel was more expensive.
I view it just the same with the nhs I pay a lot of money in nic so why do benefit scroungers get the same health care I do ! I should get more/better care as I pay a lot into the system but my extra money simply helps pay towards those who have no money.

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 07-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

My old man still can understand how the sky + works and we had it for the best part if 8 years now so hell be ducked if he's got to tax a motor online

He even struggles to use a phone too

Which means I've got to do it, and pay for it as well

Stick it on fuel and be done with it
Old 07-12-2013, 01:30 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

So it's a huge mammoth task to go to a library once or twice a year to tax a car or use a friends phone?

And no using a laptop or PC has fuck all to do with driving but are involved to keep it on the road.

I'm sure you're just taking the piss to cause an argument.
Its not a task at all but the government cant say if you dont have internet find a place that does. Dont be stupid. Anyway last comment on this cos its obvious im wasting my time. March on

Originally Posted by dojj
My old man still can understand how the sky + works and we had it for the best part if 8 years now so hell be ducked if he's got to tax a motor online

He even struggles to use a phone too

Which means I've got to do it, and pay for it as well

Stick it on fuel and be done with it
Just send him to carlos titx house lol

Quick Reply: Tax discs no longer going to be used!