General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo TDCi problems after rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2013, 02:48 PM
MarkandCath
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo TDCi problems after rebuild.

Our 2006 115 TDCi Mondeo had the timing chain jump and broke the cam carrier (a common problem so I am told). Anyway I bought a new head, cams, carrier rockers and set about the rebuild. When I start her up now she runs lumpy as hell and smokes.

I have rechecked the timing and with the crank locked using a Lasertools Tool you can freely insert 2 6mm rods into the cam locks so I am happy it is OK.

I was worried I had a bent rod so I borrowed a compression tester and with all glow plugs out I get 390 psi on all 4 cylinders. I have read this is about right and given there is no significant difference between the cylinders I am reasonably happy with that.

The engine will stall unless you hold the revs at 1500 rpm and the pressure in the rail reads 1000's of psi (it varies with the revs.)

My only conclusion is that I am missing something or one of the injectors has failed but to be honest I am a DIY guy that is now out of his depth a little.

Any advice would be much appreciated.