General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Changing wheels with a jack and wrench...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing wheels with a jack and wrench...

After today's episode, it really has left me wondering, why cars have a spare wheel, jack and a wrench, if you need to generate the kind of torque required needed to move an articulated lorry in order to crack alloy wheel bolts loose!

My brother somehow managed to catch an island coming home last night which caused him a double blowout on one side. So with two spare wheels, my tool box, a jack and 4 way wrench, we left and went to fit two spare wheels to his car (MK6 Fiesta). He couldn't get any of the bolts to budge so asked me to do them. The front wheel came off quick enough although did have to put a lot of effort into it. The back wheel, 3 bolts cracked quite easily but the 4th I spent 15 minutes trying to undo! 15 minutes of ripping my hands to shreds, wrench slipping and rounding off the bolt, in the end I got a 19mm long socket out my tool kit, hammered it on, and used a 5/8" rachet after much grunting and swearing, it finally cracked.

It really got me wondering, if you didn't have a lot of strength, how the fuck could you crack wheel nuts with a 4 way at the roadside? No wonder people call out the RAC or AA to change a wheel if you can't get the bolts off! The only sensible way is by using a long wrench but how many people carry one of them in the boot?

Cars with alloy wheels should come with an impact gun as standard!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

they undo easily if they are not overtightened!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:31 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

As above, people shouldn't over tighten!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Longdog3004
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep extendable socket bar in my 4i makes life easier...
Old 10-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Torque wrench????

I never tighten locking wheel bolts up either I just give them a little nip up.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:12 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i always have a breaker bar and socket in my motor just incase!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

When my mate worked for the AA he would be called out to around 5 a week where people couldn't undo the nuts/bolts to change a spare wheel.
Rich
Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 PM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Shit tyre places will buzz alloys up tight when they shouldn't. Whoever previously had mine off had one on far too tight and i had to spray them for a while and still needed my longest bar and a big swing to get all of them undone. The other side were little more than finger tight!

To the op undoing stuff with your ratchet is a fast route to shagging up the ratchet.

Whenever I have the wheels off at home I always clean the threads and spray a bit of gt85 on the studs and nuts.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Is it me just me that uses a smidgen of copper-ease and only torques them up to what it says in my Hayes manual..... and yes I do carry a separate long torque wrench in the boot, I also put an extendable bar in the back of my wife's car too.

Steel bolts and alloy wheels don't mix well, same for the disks. I have had too use pullers to get wheels off on several occasions now, or the old rubber mallet! Most ladies I know wouldn't have the strength, especially if it is a big wheel. The 255/35/18s on the back of my BMW are not light!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:55 PM
caprizetec170
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

if ya think thats bad try undoing over tightened stupid extended merc wheel studs once spent a day drilling them out after snapping the heads off 3 of them
Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan
I have had too use pullers to get wheels off on several occasions now, or the old rubber mallet!
Copper grease stops that. I always skim a small amount of grease on the contact face on the alloy. No mallets needed, wheel just drops off.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I must admit I did think that they were all done too tightly and I know I shouldn't have used a rachet but the 4 way wrench was shagged. I guess people must think to do wheel nuts up as much as humanly possible in case a wheel falls off!

But it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the call outs for the breakdown companies are simply for people who cannot get their wheels off due to bolts being on stupidly tight.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:36 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

You will be surprised at how little torque is supposed to be applied to a wheel nut. Over torqueing is just as dangerous as under-torqueing, there was a member on here a little while ago that lost a wheel on track due to sheared studs from jumping up and down on a wheel brace!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
Copper grease stops that. I always skim a small amount of grease on the contact face on the alloy. No mallets needed, wheel just drops off.
Yes as ever warren you are right! and I now do this too!

Also am now convinced the mythical neanderthal Ned and Guy the Talking Gorilla both work for a certain well known company. After having to apply more than 240nM of torque to remove one of the nuts on my BMW wheels! F'ing muppets!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

I personally think a wheel change should be part of the test. Yes people doing nuts up too tight is an issue but beyond that too many people cant change a wheel for shit, even with the right tools!!

The kind of people who havent a clue how to change a wheel are usually dippy bints and faggot boys who wont get hands dirty that make shit drivers and are the kind of people who blow thier engine because it ran out of oil as they never bothered to check etc. Ie menaces on the road!!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 117 Likes on 110 Posts

One of the blokes I used to do track days with used to stretch his wheel bolts, I couldn't figure it out until I saw him with a long breaker bar hanging off it (He's a big bloke).

Advised him to get a torque wrench, he never had an issue again.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
I personally think a wheel change should be part of the test. Yes people doing nuts up too tight is an issue but beyond that too many people cant change a wheel for shit, even with the right tools!!

The kind of people who havent a clue how to change a wheel are usually dippy bints and faggot boys who wont get hands dirty that make shit drivers and are the kind of people who blow thier engine because it ran out of oil as they never bothered to check etc. Ie menaces on the road!!
And how to do basic stuff tyre checks oil water etc.

The amount of daft bints driving with flat tyres Ive seen is just plan silly.
My wife went out with a friend in her car windows were misting up she didn't even know the heater blowers could clear the screen
Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

didn't danny's escos loose a wheel at a track day? possibly ford fair, a few years ago because it fell off?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it is easy to be wise after the event but, whenever I bring a car home after a wheels-off job somewhere, I make sure I can remove the wheels nuts while I have access to all the tools I might need then do them up again using only the wheelwrench that lives in the boot.