General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sierra/granada

Search this Thread

Old 21-10-2013, 05:15 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Sierra/granada

Hey just a quick question is the granada cosworths running gear/steering/suspension the same as sierras (apart from the obvious stud pattern), just so I know what to keep and what I don't need etc cheers
Old 21-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Im sure its all the same.

Dojj is the man to ask.
Old 21-10-2013, 06:48 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Yeh good point ill ask him
Old 21-10-2013, 10:20 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

No it is not the same.

Mostly small size/length differences
Old 21-10-2013, 11:21 PM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Shocks/springs are too tall - so they are no good, front shocks mount differently any way.

The diameter of the front shocks are the same as 4x4 Sierra/EScos. So you can use hub carrier and everything else if you wish, it would fit but it has a slightly wider track - so depends on arch rolling wheel/tyre choices.

There is so much more to know also.
Old 22-10-2013, 04:29 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Are the steering racks the same or are the Granny racks longer.
Old 22-10-2013, 06:15 AM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Ah that's a pain was hoping to use a lot off the granny to same me some penny's

Trending Topics

Old 22-10-2013, 10:36 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Rack is a different part number, and pretty sure it is wider.
Old 22-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Rack is a different part number, and pretty sure it is wider.
The rack is not wider, it's only the tierod ends making it wider. The rack can be used on a sierra. At the rear almost everything can be used although it will give a slightly wider track and a bit more camber.
Old 22-10-2013, 03:58 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerturbo
Hey just a quick question is the granada cosworths running gear/steering/suspension the same as sierras (apart from the obvious stud pattern), just so I know what to keep and what I don't need etc cheers
the rear bolts directly into place, the suspension is going to be taller as there is more weight to support but everything else is the same

on the fronts it's a bit more complicated as the tca's are longer and the hubs have a thicker shock diameter
the arb will bolt in (but gives slightly twitchy handling) as will the crossmember

the rack will also bolt in but there are conflicting reports as to weather or not you will have enough thread on it to wind the tre's in all the way or not

simple enough to tap some more threads onto the ends and/or chop some extra threads off the end of the rack though

depends on what exactly you want to swap over though, you can't use the suspension on either end though as the granada weighs about 400kgs more and the tougher suspension takes care of that
Old 22-10-2013, 03:59 PM
dojj

also, just keep the 5 stud flanges and run the 61 inch rims with different tyres, they look confusingly good on the sierras
Old 22-10-2013, 05:12 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Rear beam was the main thing as its has the larger diff opening to suite the lsd's, also was going to fit either an 18mm or escos rear arb,

Fronts I heard that the 3dr setup handles better? Dunno if that's true?

It's more the fact that I'm fitting the boa and want everything to be able to handle the power as standard or TT, and I'm poly bushing everything so don't want to have to do it twice
Old 22-10-2013, 05:15 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Originally Posted by dojj
also, just keep the 5 stud flanges and run the 61 inch rims with different tyres, they look confusingly good on the sierras
Mmm I did think that but dunno yet lol
Old 22-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Marc sierra

The 3dr hubs give a higher front roll centre which gives more front end grip.

The Granada ARB will fit but is a bit wider than the sierras due to the longer tcas, but that won't affect the handling. It's only more difficult to mount it due to the extra compression that is needed to fit the tcas.
Old 22-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Marc sierra

The steering rack will also fit fine, just replace the Granada TREs with sierra TREs.
Old 22-10-2013, 06:33 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Wicked cheers m8, also is there a difference In sierra tca's as I know on some the front wheels sit further back/forward than others

Might have to use the granny rack then as I wanted to keep in non PAS but its a heavy engine
Old 22-10-2013, 06:55 PM
dojj

there are 2 types of sierra tca's. those that are pinch bolt and those that are threaded through

you will need the threaded types
Old 22-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Marcyg
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear beam was the main thing as its has the larger diff opening to suite the lsd's, also was going to fit either an 18mm or escos rear arb,
Some of the later twinky Sierras have a rear beam for a 7.5 diff also
Old 23-10-2013, 06:33 AM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Originally Posted by dojj
there are 2 types of sierra tca's. those that are pinch bolt and those that are threaded through

you will need the threaded types
That's what's on it already with the castle nut & pin
Old 23-10-2013, 06:34 AM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Originally Posted by Marcyg
Some of the later twinky Sierras have a rear beam for a 7.5 diff also
Oh ill have to look into that as I've got to get an LSD but till then my diffs getting welded
Old 23-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Damocos
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it Just use ya steering arms from ya Sierra rack on the v6 rack and all is good. You can use the front subframe and mounts. You can use the front arb but it will push the wheels far too forward. the std 28mm front arb should be fine. The whole rear beam inc diff can be used and tbh, I never noticed that the rear had a wider track. Personally I think they are the same. You may have a bit more neg camber on the rear but if you don't go too low with the drop it will be fine. Use the Granny rear arb as its a nice upgrade on the Sierra. As for suspension get yaself some 4x4 legs and rear shox along with v6 springs and the fronts will slot nicely together with the front hubs that will also bolt to your existing Sierra tca's. Bonus with the brakes being bigger too and if you want to be clever keep the 5 stud as this will allow you to run a hell of a lot more choice on wheels.
Old 23-10-2013, 07:18 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Oh ok so I take it the granada hubs are setup to fit 4x4 legs, as I've just got 2wd springs and shocks,

Has the granny rack got more lock that a sierra rack?

Do for do a 4 stud brake setup to suite the granny breaks as I'm either going for a sleeper look or standard cossie look so need the 4 stud hubs

Did you need to do any body bashing to fit you exhaust system as I'm looking to twin turbo it once its all fitted it and test drove it for a few months
Old 23-10-2013, 07:21 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Arnt the front subframes identical on both cars?

Does yours understeer a lot still with you setup or has it bin cured, as I know a lot off saffs suffer from it
Old 23-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Damocos
Regular Contributor

Originally I used 4x4 rear flanges and Sierra 4x4 cos discs and on the front I stuck with the std Sierra legs and hubs with the granny calipers and 2wd cos discs. It all fitted with a very slight fettle to the front carriers. Subframes are identical but its easy to leave the complete engine and steering system connected to make easier when swapping. Imo mine understeered no worse than a std 2wd cos but recently I changed from the 29mm Granny arb to a 2wd saff version and its made a big difference. I think the weight of the engine is always going to make it understeer if you don't get the suspension right.
Old 23-10-2013, 07:49 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

That's a good point as ill be fitting everything from underneath,

Also will my 1.8cvh master/servo cope with the bigger brakes, I'm sticking with the 28mm arb as its an easier fitment and better results,
Old 23-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Damocos
Regular Contributor

That's a good point as ill be fitting everything from underneath,

Also will my 1.8cvh master/servo cope with the bigger brakes, I'm sticking with the 28mm arb as its an easier fitment and better results,
It will work but the pedal feel wont be as good as the bigger servo/m.cyl from a disc brake non abs car
Old 24-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Marc sierra

The wider track and more camber on the rear is caused by the rear arms. The plate that is welded to the arms where the hubs mount are a bit thicker on the Granada to give the wider track. They are also under a slightly different angle to give more camber, which is done because of the higher standard ride height of the Granada vs. the Sierra.

I have put the front Granada and Sierra arbs directly on top of each other and they are the exact same length on the Granada and Sierra, it's only that the Granada arb is a bit wider because the tcas are longer. But using a Granada arb on a Sierra will still put the tcas in the same location.

@Damo, I remember you saying in the past you had machined the Granada arb to move the tca a bit back so the wheels would sit more backwards in the wheelarch. I think that must have been because you are using Granada hubs instead of Sierra hubs. In the past I have also used a Granada arb with Granada tcas on a Sierra and it was fine. I even put a few washers in between the arb and tca to give more caster. Did you change the machined 29 mm Granada arb for a standard 28 mm Sierra arb? I assume this cured a bit of understeer? The thinner front arb will more front end grip and if it's not machined anymore it will give more caster which will also give more front end grip.

TBH I wouldn't use Granada front hubs on a Sierra. I have the feeling the put the wheels too much to the front and give a too low front roll centre, because of the higher standard ride height of the Granada vs. the Sierra.

The 3dr hubs would be best, but they are difficult to find/expensive. I thick the 4x4 cos front hubs would also give a good front setup when used with a 2wd crossmember and 2wd arb, but these hubs will push the brakes quite far outwards giving possible problems with wheel clearance.
Old 24-10-2013, 04:05 PM
cos 4x4
PassionFord Regular

Sorry to jump on this thread but need a bit of advice with a similar thing I want todo on my xr4i. I want to fit a 2wd saph front anti roll bar( will it move the wheels forward in the arch's) and will I see any benefit in fitting 2wd cossie front hubs and track control arms instead of the tankard xr4i items.suspension wise I'm running avo coil overs all round
Old 24-10-2013, 05:51 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Cheers Marc, I better pull my finger out and start on the conversion
Old 26-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Marc sierra

Originally Posted by cos 4x4
Sorry to jump on this thread but need a bit of advice with a similar thing I want todo on my xr4i. I want to fit a 2wd saph front anti roll bar( will it move the wheels forward in the arch's) and will I see any benefit in fitting 2wd cossie front hubs and track control arms instead of the tankard xr4i items.suspension wise I'm running avo coil overs all round
Yes a 2wd sapph arb will move the wheels forward in the arches.

2wd cossie front hubs come in 2 types, 3dr hubs that use tcas with a tapered hub fitment and sapph hus that use a tca with a pinch bolt hub fitment. The 3dr hubs give a higher front roll centre than the sapph hubs. Whether the sapph hubs give a higher roll centre than the standard Sierra hubs I'm not sure, but I imagine it's still better to have 2wd sapph hubs than standard Sierra hubs on a lowered car.
Old 27-10-2013, 10:40 PM
robrs2

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh ill have to look into that as I've got to get an LSD but till then my diffs getting welded
Granada Cosworth has a 7 1/2" lsd as standard, basically a 2wd cossie but smaller drive flanges 100mm not 108mm.

I fitted the Granada full rear in. Its got the LSD and the ARB is a thick one, cant remember the size.

Brakes are the same as a 4x4 cossie.
Old 28-10-2013, 03:27 AM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Originally Posted by robrs2
Granada Cosworth has a 7 1/2" lsd as standard, basically a 2wd cossie but smaller drive flanges 100mm not 108mm.

I fitted the Granada full rear in. Its got the LSD and the ARB is a thick one, cant remember the size.

Brakes are the same as a 4x4 cossie.
Yeh I know its a pain main reason I got the car so cheap is my m8 bought it originally just for the diff to put in his fiesta, so it came with no diff, so my aim it to fully paint and poly bush the granny rear end, so its all ready for when I get a diff