General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Acid dip or blasting??

Search this Thread

Old 13-08-2013 | 09:40 AM
KW-rscos
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Default Acid dip or blasting??

Want to get my saph shell done, but heard negatives on both techniques, what do people who have had these processes done think?
Old 13-08-2013 | 10:22 AM
SMILER258
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've read grit blasting is probably one of the best compromises between the blasting process, and the effects it has afterwards.

Acid dipping is said to get into every box section, nook, cranny etc, but the acid also gets stuck in seams and doesn't have enough time to seep out, so it removes the protection that was in the seam, and causes it to just rot again, and causing problems later on in other processes like painting etc.

Soda blasting is good, but the only problem I've heard of is it causes a ph difference because of the soda, and can cause problems for primers, paints etc if it hasn't been cleaned to the highest standards afterwards

Grit blasting is good, but apparently causes problems with distortion on big panels such as roofs, wings etc, and again, you really need to clean grit out afterwards, or you'll pay for it later on. But most people who grit blast tend to mask up the big sections, and take them down with a nylon wheel on a grinder iirc, to remove paint etc, and get the grit blasters to go into corners etc.

This is from what research I did on it, so comes from other sources ot personal experience.