General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mk1 FRS at Evans Halshaw Livingstone

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mk1 FRS at Evans Halshaw Livingstone

Went today and saw a Mk1 Focus RS that Evans Halshaw are selling. Was massively disappointed at the salesmens interpretation of a clean car to mine.

Obviously it's a 10 year old car, and I understand that, but I'm used to seeing this type of car being looked after, pampered and pretty much mint. This looked like it wasn't cared for at all. Only had 54k on it aswell and a 53 plate.

Oh well, ill find a decent one soon!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:06 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

"salesman" says it all realy
they'll tell you anything to get you there hoping you fallin love with it once your there
lost count of the amount of cars i've went to see from traders
full dealer history turns into couple stamps and usualy not dealer
65k miles turns into 80k"sorry must have put the wrong info in the ad"
mint condition, this is the best, they're all "mint condition", just everybody's idea of mint is differant
then of course every mark, scuff, ding and dent etc gets "its a used car you've got to expect some signs of wear"
i know i'm not overly picky so it isn't just me but sometimes its just blatant lies
Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

There was a list written on the window of things to do before it goes on the forecourt. They said workshop prep - Ł300, wheels refurbed -Ł200, paintwork - Ł200, CD player - Ł50, RS badge -Ł20 (was the B pillar badge) so it may look nice when it's all done but I would always know what it did look like.

The front bumper was cracked at drivers front, front foglight screws had been rusty for a while, big flake of paint off the front bumper, front bumper paintwork was really dull and flat, there were two deep gouges into the drivers sideskirt, someone has rubbed the car against something at the n/s/r and its all scuffed, various scratches all over the car and a dent poking out the way at the n/s/r. The alcantara on the seats were all fluffy and it smelled damp inside (probably pollen filter cover not sealed against windscreen correctly)

Trip wasn't a complete waste though, got some Krispy Kremes to take down the road
Old 11-08-2013, 06:52 PM
neilscott83
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rather buy a car private at least you can meet the owner and find out if he's a prick or not.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:16 PM
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by neilscott83
Rather buy a car private at least you can meet the owner and find out if he's a prick or not.
Ahh, but what if he is a prick and the car seems legit?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 PM
williec
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought a pathfinder from evans halshaw did,nt tell me about advisory on the steering rack rear put it into a m8 to get it looked at rack inner bushes worn rear suspension bushes shot oil leak on engine now abs esp and fwd lights all on on the dash looks like they are getting it back only had it a week shower of crooks
Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neilscott83
Hmmm not for me.
Originally Posted by st220kyle
Ahh, but what if he is a prick and the car seems legit?
More what I've experienced tbh,and ive been doing this on and off for 20 years.
your buying the car,not the the owners personality.

Couple of examples.
Years ago went up the valleys with my mate who wanted an escos.
We'd been too look at a couple,all in nice houses,nice areas but little issues with the motors,bear in mind too they were towards the lower end of the market.
Car was on a rough as fuck council estate in the middle of nowhere,car was kept round the corner in a row of garages,guy wasn't even insured on it properly as he had another car etc etc etc.
Not looking good in the Quentin Wilson car buyers guide.

Took it out,drove well,was as described,guy despite being a roid head did the agreed deal with my mate on the motor and that was that.

Car is still about k*** ptr.

Once went with a guy who bought an omega v6 off a bloke up in the Cotswolds,it wasn't me buying the car,I bought his old car and a lift to pick the new one up was part of the bargain.

We arrived,stunning house,beautiful area and not a bad looking car,old boy claimed he'd owned it from new or near enough etc, but it had a tapping noise which he claimed the garage he'd always had it serviced at the same garage blah blah bollox.
He dazzled the boy with a big file of history,spare keys etc all the usual crap.
I thought it sounded bottom end and told the lad so although he was sold as the old guy seemed genuine.
We went our desperate ways as he bought it anyway,spoke to him a few months later as I was owed a few bits off the other car.
Turned out it was fucked small ends,a deeper look at the "history" revealed it was very patchy at best,most of the "garage" receipts were for petrol,stuff he'd bought from the shop etc,other cars.

Fair play,it was totally down to the lad buying to have verified the receipts were genuine,it was a cheapy car etc etc but it just goes to show your buying the CAR not the personality of the owner.

Another one I just thought of!!!

I bought an Audi coupe of a mate in work,he'd had it years and was as honest as the day is long,had a proper fsh etc.

I had it maybe two months with no issues then I changed both rads,alternator,coil,rev counter stopped working,car developed a miss,a nasty banging noise etc.

It was no ones fault and after I sorted those issues it was a spot on motor but again,shows you buy the car and should 100% check it over regardless of how nice,decent or honest the seller may appear to be.

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 PM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I stay in livingston mate you could have come seen mine.
What sort of money they asking for it.
The mechanic guys down there are quite appreciative of the frs as a couple of them come out for a chat when I'm down getting bits for mine.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:48 PM
neilscott83
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prick was the wrong word but I would rather buy private and meet the person who's been driving the car to gauge how its been driven and looked after rather than some garage that's given it a valet and stuck some crap warranty on the deal that isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Luck of the draw I suppose just don't think buying from a garage warrants the extra you pay unless its a proper main dealer.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Originally Posted by stevos
I stay in livingston mate you could have come seen mine.
What sort of money they asking for it.
The mechanic guys down there are quite appreciative of the frs as a couple of them come out for a chat when I'm down getting bits for mine.
It was up for Ł8200, with the Ł770 spent through the workshop. Not too bad a price for 54k miles from a garage tbh. Makes you wonder what they paid for it! They had 2 Mk2 FRS in, a white one in the showroom which was rough again on the outside gouges all in the back bumper, front bumper and the same scuff marks at the n/s/r arch.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:26 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

looks a tidy one one this civic site

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewt...f=129&t=271327

higher miles but cheap and looks clean although you can never tell until you get there

I dont think it matters trader or private, always good and bad sellers. I have a garage near me where I bought my bmw and they only have tidy cars, no bull and well priced. Pleasure to buy from. But also went to a Honda dealers years back to view a one owner CTR with low miles and it was a wreck!! Dealer said everything would be sorted as i had seen it as it arrived but felt sorry for the poor mug who would eventually buy it, would have looked no doubt spotless when done but had clearly been a very abused car all it's life and they would be non the wiser.

Same with private, have had endless wasted journeys to see heaps described as 'mint' and endless lies told about the condition, and others that hardly bigged the car up at all and found absolute minters!