General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

2004 Megane with rocking engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:25 PM
louis_2012
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 Megane with rocking engine

I got asked to look at a neighbours 2004 megane 1400 16v earlier.

The car starts and drives fine but the exhaust rattles like mad, i got underneath and inspected the exhaust thinking heatshield but it wasnt that, it was jacked up in gear with the drivers wheel off the floor.

As i went to get up i used the drivers wheel to assist myself and it turned as it would do and then the exhaust shook, i thought thats odd and basically the whole engine rocks back and forth by turning the front wheels in gear its basically split all the front and middle exhaust mounting rubbers so the exhaust is banging off the exhaust tunnel. Is there a specific mount on these which is a common fault? you can also rock the engine easlily with one hand. It appears to be loose from the drivers/offside area but everyones saying its the dogbone stabiliser mount underneath?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:55 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Probably the rear most mount I'd have thought. Quite common for them to start ripping earths terminals off and pulling looms etc so I wouldn't advise driving it.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 PM
bigjohn0
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-CL...item4cfdec2525

This is what you need mate because when they go the engine rocks and the exhaust is allowed to move around braking the rubbers and it also does more damage the longer its left. It connects from the gearbox to the sub frame under the car but make sure the bolt that goes into the gear box has not snapped because this is a right pain to get out most of the time.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM
louis_2012

Thanks people. Everyone said the dogbone mount but it appeared to be rocking from the driver/offside. Ill whip the engine cover off the underneath tommorow and have a look.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjohn0
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-CL...item4cfdec2525

This is what you need mate because when they go the engine rocks and the exhaust is allowed to move around braking the rubbers and it also does more damage the longer its left. It connects from the gearbox to the sub frame under the car but make sure the bolt that goes into the gear box has not snapped because this is a right pain to get out most of the time.
thats exactly what it will be, done one about a month ago.

under hard accelaration the engine was pulling so much it pulled the joints on the exhaust making them blow

very common on megane
Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 AM
louis_2012

Thanks.

Another un nerving thing this car does , (to save starting another thread) the steering - it rocks? by that i mean when sat in the car if you sort of flick the steering wheel either way and let go it rebounds back by itself and will flick left and right once by itself and then stop? Its not knocking and there doesnt appear to be any play anywhere, steering wheel seems really bouncy?

Ive personally owned 1 or 2 french cars in the 100 odd cars ive owned, hideous, hideous motors !