General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

very odd probem.. high rpm ignition cut!

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very odd probem.. high rpm ignition cut!

ok this happned a few weeks ago (v. briefly) but then dissapeared, so ignored it... untill today it returned (after about 100 miles driving, and also worth noting that the engine got VERY hot too)

engine WONT rev above about 5k.

its as if everything dies... as if i've slammed my foot OFF the gas... if i keep foot planted, i get a bit of a pop, then it feels/sounds like revlimiter. the pop makes me suggest no spark (also rev counter drops to 0... it's EDIS by the way)

now, this was doing it EVERY time i hit that rpm (only tested on full throttle mind) in EVERy gear (only tested 1,2,3 mind)

it's NOT like a missfire, its like a overboost cut you get, literally just kills ignition for a second.

but, parked up round lennies for half hour for a chat (also wanted to let car cool down after seeing 110+degrees in traffic... i think the fans arent working properly) when i started her up later, all was fine and back to normal, revs FINE thru to revlimit in every gear

im thinking it COULD be to do with the engine temp, is there maybe something in eeciv / evolution chips that enables some sort of wierd revlimit when car gets too hot?

thing is it might not be anything to do with the water temp, could just be coincidence.

any ideas?

PS car is a 1GAB 24v Granny ECU and is running a Evolution (MSD) chip.

i ahvent rung kenny and asked yet (as might be a feature of eeciv or the chip) coz stupid 118500 decided to connect me to random phone numbers that weren't MSD
Old 16-03-2005, 09:03 PM
220TC
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Im probably totally wrong as I know nothing about your engine but..........I had a very similair problem in my erst at high rpm, it would cut out like an ignition cut. Someone told me that there is something that expands in the rotor arm as the rpm gets higher and if it gets weak it can cut the spark or something. I ended up soldering a piece of wire between the 2 terminals and this fixed it !

Duncan
Old 16-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

i know exactly where youre coming from and thanks for the input

unfortunately my car runs coil packs + EDIS so no dizzy/rotor arm for me it also has 3 ignition putputs, and i think the chances of them all failing at exactly the same time is unlikely, so i suspect it isn't a problem with the coil pack itself or the leads/plugs.

but then im no mechanic
Old 16-03-2005, 09:21 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Jim Galbally,
I reckon its in limp home mode jim
either that or a fuel pressure problem and leaning off at high fuel flow demand !
Old 16-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

simon, would pump / leaning cause the sudden jolt tho...

its VERY voilent and instant, the rapid change in acceleration makes it feel like someone's slammed their foot on the brakes!

limp home mode, good thought that, i s'pose a high engine temp could kick that off and them me re-starting the engine would force it back. i'll try and read the KAM codes off tomorrow morning and see if there's anything in there.
Old 16-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

jim, simon said to me that the EDIS module he put in my car may get hot, therefore cutting the ignition at high rpm on long drives?

maybe its that?
Old 17-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

attacked CPS with carb cleaner earlier (cant be arsed to take it off, its a mission to get to! lol) no difference.

again its tempremental, but im sure its relted to water temp somehow...

gotta fix that roblem 1st (small waterleak to sort)