General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ford focus coil pack issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:28 AM
johnblackfocus
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford focus coil pack issues

i'm having some issues with my ford focus misfiring, not firing on no.2 cylinder. i've tried a ht lead off my friends focus an its still not getting a spark across.
i've read that if its the coil pack, then i'd be having issues with it not firing on 2 cylinders 1+3 or 2+4. is this correct? getting a huge spark across on cylinder 4, caught it on the edge of my finger an it nearly blew me away haha
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 AM
stephenbatey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Spark plugs?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:32 AM
johnblackfocus
Virgin

the ht lead for cylinder 2 isn't getting a spark across?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM
stephenbatey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Coil pack then
Old 12-05-2013, 11:38 AM
johnblackfocus
Virgin

is it right that if i was having a problem on cylinder 2, that cylinder 4 would also not be working?
or do they work on their own?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok,

If you take ALL the spark plugs out, then rest them on the engine so they are in GOOD contact with a metal earth.

Remove fuse for the fuel pump.

crank engine and check for sparks on all plugs.

BEFORE you start changing any leads and spark plugs about take some clear pics of the correct running layout so you can put it all back ( very embarrassing if you can't remember cos its late and you are tired). Digital camera's a fu*k1ng ace for this! back in the day i used to use a Polaroid! or write it all down!

you should be able to eliminate good from bad parts now!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:55 AM
johnblackfocus
Virgin

getting sparks across on three of them brendan. 1 3 an 4. no spark on two. i've took the ht lead off the top an tried it and no spark across at all from the coil pack which has got me thinking its the coil pack. stephen has suggested coil pack to.
i've read that if its the coil pack, that if 2's not working, that four shouldn't be working either? is this right?
i've tried a ht lead off another car, so its not the ht lead as still not spark with another ht lead.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the coil pack may have a fault in the connection inside going to connector for cylinder 2.
2+3 are paired and 1+4, so if there was a coil failure then 2+3 wouldn't be working, but that's not the only failure in a coil pack.
coil packs are only around Ł15 from a motor factors, so not expensive at all.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnblackfocus
getting sparks across on three of them brendan. 1 3 an 4. no spark on two. i've took the ht lead off the top an tried it and no spark across at all from the coil pack which has got me thinking its the coil pack. stephen has suggested coil pack to.
i've read that if its the coil pack, that if 2's not working, that four shouldn't be working either? is this right?
i've tried a ht lead off another car, so its not the ht lead as still not spark with another ht lead.
ok, the coil pack fire's the coils in pairs this only means they fire at the same time, hence the term wasted spark. not that they share the same coil!

The good news is this means that the EDIS module is working ok! and that an individual coil has failed.

You have checked things by changing a spark plug / HT lead pair from a working coil to the suspect one on 2 to see if you get anything?

I have some really good wiring diagrams if you need them PM me an email address!

Also you are not too far and I have a spare coil pack (from a fiesta mk3 rs turbo) you could check things with if the.

Last edited by Brendan; 12-05-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: update of coil pack type!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM
johnblackfocus
Virgin

Thanks for the replys guys.
New coil fitted an she's running all all 4 again