General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Evo 4 - 6 engine with what Box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM
R-A-J
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evo 4 - 6 engine with what Box?

Just a quick one, been trying to do some research into a new engine for my track kitcar, at the mo it has a K4 gixer in it but I want to put a car engine in it. I was first thinking of a zetec and mtx box with the aim of 300bhp. But after talks with crazycage it would make more sense to just buy an evo engine and mildly tune that leaving the engine itself as standard, rick and gary can sort out the manifolds, mounts and mapping etc. If the worst should happen then its just a case of oing on the bay and whacking another engine in as there are plentry on offer for around the grand mark.

My question is gearbox, I would like a six speed, it mus be cable shift, I am also considering a sequential option but I know nothing about this, I did read of a quaiffe fiesta box for aroud 7k but I my be mistaken.

I know this is not a ford car or ford powered but im just strugging to find any precise information on the net and I know this site has plenty of people in the know.

The engine and box will be mid mounted in a fwd configuration (transverse) but I was also thinking of using a transaxle out of an audi, but that was just an Idea and aain I am unable to get and decent info on this.

Any help would be great
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

If you're intent on an Evo, why not just buy an Evo engine/box combo that is already 6 speed ?

Then buy a sequential shifter ?

What weight is the car, and why do you think a 6 speed is essential ?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
R-A-J
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you're intent on an Evo, why not just buy an Evo engine/box combo that is already 6 speed ?

Then buy a sequential shifter ?

What weight is the car, and why do you think a 6 speed is essential ?

Being 6 speed isnt essential, just something I want.

The car at the moment weighs 520kg, I thought that all evo's were 4x4 and ran a transfer box? Didnt think it could be addapted to front wheel drive configuration, would be handy if it could although im not too sure which boxes do have the 6 speed, I could make do with the 5 speed if its possible.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

They do use a transverse box and I think the transfer box is an external part. So would be fairly sure they can be adapted to a normal fwd setup without too much difficulty.

With such a lightweight car, having taller gears is often a good thing to load the engine up better. Short gearing or more gears isnt always an advantage. Lots of variables though.

I think it was the later 7's or higher spec models that had 6 speeds, so maybe they're more expensive.
Maybe worth just starting with the 5 speed and seeing how it performs ? Cant imagine a 6 speed swap at a later date costing that much ?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Paul1982sco
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Focus RS box, there is a 205 running EVO engine
Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
R-A-J
BANNED
BANNED

Steve - cheers mate, your thinking on the same lines as me, was just concerned about there being a ole for an outpot shaft for the transfer box or something, I will probably go for a modeo six speed box if I decide to go 6 speed

Paul - yes I have seen tha 205 and took loads of pics of the block/box setup, ive just given my rs box to project rs and crazycage and would rather opt for something a bit different, dont know why just more of a case of being different.

Its nice to know it has been done though, rs boxes are still holding strong money, but there are a few other boxes which are very good value for money, I just need to see what options there are for them such as internals, diffs etc
Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Paul1982sco
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am sure the Mitsubishi Colt box bolts straight up since they use basically the same box