General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

turbo rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 15-03-2005, 03:03 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default turbo rebuild

me and a couple mates have just finished rebuilding our shared track sapph cossie but have a problem with a smoking engine. we stripped the engine down and had the crank reground. we also put a new cover on the oil pump.

before stripping it down, it did not smoke at all, but had terrible rumbling from the mains and big end bearings. now it runs smoothly, but smokes a lot, especially after idling a while.

i took off the boost hoses and they contain a lot of oil, and now looking at the turbo there is play in the bearing. why we didn't check this before we rebuilt everything i don't know. i suppose it was because it wasn't smoking, but now that we have proper oil pressure again i gess more oil is being forced out past the seal.

what i want to know is how much an overhaul normally costs, and what is involved. i would like to know the norm for england, as i think it will be way more in germany and i don't want to be ripped off. is it just a new plain bearing pushed in and a new seal kit, and if so, can't that be done diy? of the wheels are put back on the shaft in the same position, it doesn't need balancing again or what?

Old 15-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just rebuilt mine. Kit from Stu at MSDevelopments. Not a hard job really. Kit cost me £70. Doesnt need balancing again (or mine hasnt been anyway) I think there is a fella on here, Danny@RADdesigns i think, who rebuilds for about £150, 'i think'.

HTH
Old 16-03-2005, 07:00 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

cheers daveyboy does the rebuild kit include a bearing then or just seals?