General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fao richpon

Search this Thread

Old 15-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Mark_w
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fao richpon

hi rich,ive been looking at building a 7 replica now for a while and i know that you know a bit about them,so maybe can help....i was thinking of going the ron champion route but was wondering if the book built car was live or independent rear axle....i suspect it is live but other manufacturers make a sierra based car with sierra rear so is this a better route?....how would a live axle car perform handling wise? what car are you going for?any reccomendations bearing in mind i need a wide bodied car for my ample frame

regards mark
Old 15-03-2005, 12:12 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Mark,

Your options are huge, and they really are determined by budget and donor car.

What sort of money are you looking at spending outright first and foremost?
Old 15-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Mark_w

rich, i want to build a car over a period of time.... ie i dont want to do it cheaply but do it in stages so i can pay bit by bit...i would like pinto or maybe later cossie power and independent rear in a wide body

regards mark
Old 15-03-2005, 01:25 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Okay.

For me, there are 3 leagues of 7 replicas that are actually worth looking at, all dictated by price brackets.

- Top of the list simply boils down to Caterham and Westfield.

Obviously, with both of these, you are getting factory quality, but it is reflected in the price. The kits are excellent, and very comprehensive, but you can run into mega money on these. Because so many are sold as turn-key, they have lost a little of that "kit-car" feel for me, but that's not always a bad thing.

Customer service and backup from these companies is superb, and unlike some kit car companies, you can be rest assured that they wont be disappearing tomorrow.

However, for a decent spec car, then budget 10k plus as a minimum for one of these. Yes, they can be bought cheaper, and you can skimp on the kits from Westfield, but you will end up with what you pay for. Driving experience in both of these cars (I've driven a Caterham Superlight, and a basic pinto powered Caterham, and V8 Westfield SEiW) were excellent, but two of the three were factory built, so to be expected.

- Below this level is where the real bargains are to be had. The two most prominent manufacturers in this area are MK and Tiger.

MK's Indy is a cracking little car from what I've seen. It will take most powerplants, and the build is very simple and formulaic, with very little emphasis on fabrication - it's more of a build. Again, customer service is reputed to be good (not dealt with them personally), and the car looks and drives very well.

Tiger are one of my all time favourite companies to deal with. They produce several different 7 replicas - they are:

Tiger Cat (base model)
Tiger Super Six (traditional seven rep)
Tiger R6 (round tube, zetec powered)
Tiger Avon (lowcost version)

First off, I discount the Cat, as it is cheap, and doesn't belong in this section. Personally I don't like te looks of the six, and the R6 is heading into 15k territory, so it belongs back up with the Westy and Caterhams.

When people ask me about this stuff, they usually are on the same budget as I am, and I always try and steer them towards the Avon and Tiger. The Avon, whilst it is traditionally a lowcost car, separates itself from all other lowcost car by being competely independent rear, and using nice simple donor parts from a sierra.

I have been up to Tiger on several occasions, and have been welcomed like a member of the family (which is how the business is run, Jim, the Dad is the owner, the wife runs the phones, the daughter does the interior trimming, the son is a mechanic for them etc etc). They established a level of trust and friendliness that I had not experienced anywhere else, and when I was last there in the cossie, one of the mechanics was all over it asking loads of questions, and being genuinely interested -I like that lack of arrogance.

The car I have driven several times, and for the money, it is some piece of kit. I reckon mine will come in fully built under 6k on the road, and that's with alloys, decent seats, taxed AND insured!

The kit itself comes split into about 12 different component packages, so it's nice and easy to spread the cost. Engine choice can be from a pinto to a zetec, although i've not seen anything else in them. Interior options are excellent - can be from full leather with plush carpets, right through to stripped out racer look.

That's my personal choice, from four years of researching and careful planning of where to spend the money.

- Below this level are the real base models from companies like LoCost, Robin Hood etc.......... Personally I don't like them. I think they look cheap and drive that way too - there's no emphasis on building a complete car. Yes, the can be built for less than 1k with the right donor vehicle, but they do look like a sierra thrown into a kit car chassis. Some people want exactly that, but personally I'd steer clear.

-Now I have missed out several companies that fit into the middle category, including Quantum, F27, Luego, and Birkin, but I've discounted them for various reasons. The Quantum, whilst it is the only 7 to utilise a monocoque tub, and makes for a great handling car, I just can't stand the look of. The F27 and Luego I know only what I've read about, but neither of them do anything for me. The Birkin is centred around Lotus Seven authenticity, and is reflelcted in its price.

Obviously, the only other contender is Dax. I would say they are more comparable with the Westfield bracket, although they are reknowned for squeezing in some wonderful engines, Rover V8, Cossie etc. However, having been part of a Dax Tojeiro (Cobra replica) build, I know exactly how the costs can spiral with a Dax. Don't get me wrong - they are superb cars, but I would never spend upwards of 15k on a toy that can be used for about 8 weeks of the year!

I would think about your enigne choice very carefully. When I broke my saff, I was all for putting my cossie engine into a Dax, and looked into it extensively. However, I've driven one, and been passenger in one, and they are ludicrously fast. In fact, I'd got so far as to say they are too fast for a road car in anything around stage 3 spec. Personally, the 7 replica experience isn't about turbo lag, and wheelspin for me - it's about great performance, handling and fun on a limited budget.

As a result, my engine choice was eventually narrowed down to a 2 litre zetec on throttle bodies. It's a very nice engine, and in a car weighing just a touch over 600k, 170 bhp is plenty! I don't need to search for outright power - it's just about the driving experience all round. I also don't need to chase numbers, as I'd rather have the drievability and fun factor. Wrestling with 330bhp in a 600kg car is neither fun nor particularly thrashable on the road.

The best advice I can give, is to go the factories of the various cars, and chat to the people who work there. Get hold of some of the mags and get a "feel" for the scene in general, and come to a couple of shows this year too. There are open days at most of the major manufacturers at least a couple of times a year, and they are always great places to have a good look round, and get some rides in some cars. Also know your budget and be prepared to stick to it. While the pitno powered car doesn't sound as glamorous as a cossie powered car, remember that you'll be saving the best part of 2k on the engine alone.

If you want pics, info etc, I'll see what I can find. What part of the world do you live in?

Hope some of that helps..............
Old 15-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Mark_w

cheers rich...i have looked into it quite a bit and have narrowed it down to some of the cars you have listed....i would like a sierra based kit for ease of build and was looking at the dax rush,luego wide body and the tiger cat e1.i think i will have to get myself off to a few kit car shows to try them

regards mark
Old 15-03-2005, 01:41 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Let me know if and when you go mate. I'll be at Detling this year (in Kent), as it's a small but good show with a vast selection.

Where are you based?
Old 15-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Mark_w

im in west sussex rich,we met before at the first hotel watford

mark
Old 15-03-2005, 01:45 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Ah yes Mark!

Of course we did - I remember now!

I'll see if I can find some other links and info.............
Old 15-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Mark_w

i do like this one... http://www.luegosportscars.com/cars/viento/main.htm

and this.... http://www.gtscougar.freeserve.co.uk/W7DE.htm
Old 15-03-2005, 01:48 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

The Luego Viento and Velocity do get a very good write up.

Like I say, I haven't personally dealt with the company.

Trying the cockpits out for size is vital though, as they can vary hugely.