General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone Recommend a Turbo Reconditioners?VIDEO added!!

Search this Thread

Old 17-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone Recommend a Turbo Reconditioners?VIDEO added!!

Ive got a Turbo Technics spec Garrett T25, not sure what its off originally, poss a rover tomcat, and is believed to be stage 3 spec...has a few numbers on it but not much else except tt plate..

Trouble is no-one i speak to inc TT is interested in checking it over and then possibly reconditioning it as it aint some fancy all singing VNT or the like, they simply wanna sell me another turbo for a grand..

but i like this one though as its got lag

Any recommendation or help would be much appreciated

Last edited by Fraggle...; 29-03-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 17-03-2013, 02:00 PM
rallycross
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use turbo developments in Brentford for rebuilds/recon they are very good.

What is the problem with the turbo, take it off an see if there is much play in the shaft, is it smoking?
Old 17-03-2013, 02:12 PM
wing
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pm wilky off here mate
Old 17-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Originally Posted by rallycross
I use turbo developments in Brentford for rebuilds/recon they are very good.

What is the problem with the turbo, take it off an see if there is much play in the shaft, is it smoking?

appreciate that fella..

tbh its lost its grunt, its spools up ok and build pressure but makes a nasty sssssssssssh as it do so, and just feels like you aint turbocharged lol..

bit of puffing, its tbh just had a hard life lol..
Old 17-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

CR turbo's will probably help you out.
Old 17-03-2013, 02:21 PM
gup

Pm wilky on here dude
He can sort what ever you want dude
Old 17-03-2013, 02:26 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraggle...
appreciate that fella..

tbh its lost its grunt, its spools up ok and build pressure but makes a nasty sssssssssssh as it do so, and just feels like you aint turbocharged lol..

bit of puffing, its tbh just had a hard life lol..
if it spools up ok and builds pressure as it should theres nothing wrong with it ?
Old 17-03-2013, 02:34 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
if it spools up ok and builds pressure as it should theres nothing wrong with it ?
Plus 1 on that

Check for boost leak as even a small one will make it feel like no boost

Even if a turbo is propper fucked and smoking it will still give boost
Old 17-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Originally Posted by v man
Plus 1 on that

Check for boost leak as even a small one will make it feel like no boost

Even if a turbo is propper fucked and smoking it will still give boost

MASSIVE CHHERS ALL

Yeah i know is wierd i agree, but it the strange ssssshhhhhing noise as it ticks and spools, and just feels flat???

tbh im looking at the actuator anyway as its a standard T2 one, think i need a forge or something similiar to cope with 20+psi, as wondering maybe its wastegate creep..

Deffo like to have it reconned if poss though to be sure alls good for future plans for it..
Old 17-03-2013, 03:07 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did you speak to at TT?
Pete is normally very helpful, a normal rebuild is£195+ vat, when it is stripped they will be able to give you the full spec and advise on any other work.
If it is a TT unit it should have a part number on it that will give the spec on the TT website
Old 17-03-2013, 03:35 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Depends on the fault as I recon turbos.....boost leak,letting oil past, squeezing, vibration through the shaft. Is there any play in shaft up down/in out, have you got any scoring inside the compressor housing.

Also CR turbos are gud
Old 17-03-2013, 03:48 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

The whistling/ squealing noise you hear is normally caused when the shaft is out of balance you may of sucked up a small stone and chip a fin
Old 17-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
Who did you speak to at TT?
Pete is normally very helpful, a normal rebuild is£195+ vat, when it is stripped they will be able to give you the full spec and advise on any other work.
If it is a TT unit it should have a part number on it that will give the spec on the TT website
Tbh i dont know..the fella said they simply dont bother reconditioning the T25 series as aint worth the Hassle/cost...

its a stage 3 so i believe, its supposed to have a 360 bearing and a few tweeks.
It does have the TT plate on the act bracket...i never thought to check it off the site tbh, much appreciate that info fella.

Tbh its probs a T2 in drag

Originally Posted by gingerturbo
Depends on the fault as I recon turbos.....boost leak,letting oil past, squeezing, vibration through the shaft. Is there any play in shaft up down/in out, have you got any scoring inside the compressor housing.

Also CR turbos are gud

Cheers fella

Yeah they again didnt seem to keen when a friend enquired about it for me..

Turbo itself well..ALWAYS run's a filter on it so hoping there's been no ingestion of debri's.
Shafts all good as far as i can tell,tiny bit of in out, no up down play of any mallice imop..

Im looking at opening it up this weekend coming just to be sure theres no crack in exh housing and check the blades and wastegate and yeah deffo gonna look for scoring, leaks/cracks.......
as much as i can check i will.

it just seems very strange the noises its making...
starts off as a worbling when ticking over, then as pressure builds it changes to a screeching ssssh noise, not over loud but its deffo not the old crystal clear and healthy woooooooooosh on spool up she used to have..

Wondering if the 12psi i knocked it back down too has pissed it off
, it lived at 22 constant!!

Is it actually possible to damage a turbo by strangling its output?
Sounds a soppy question but id be interested to know if it could/would upset its dynamics when its being beaten shitless at half its desired capacity of design...
Old 17-03-2013, 05:19 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

It is quite possible, not related in any way but my heater blower motor died as all I had it on was speed 2 and it squealed like fuck. Have you replaced the filter as it may not be getting the oil it's needed to pressurise
Old 17-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

It is quite possible, not related in any way but my heater blower motor died as all I had it on was speed 2 and it squealed like fuck. Have you replaced the filter as it may not be getting the oil it's needed to pressurise

Hahaha nah heater motors all good, its deffo turbo noise lol

ive checked to be sure its getting a constant supply of oil to it from the feed, and checked its leaving the turbo consistantly...ive tried disconecting the water cooling just to see if any difference to oil consistancy, just to be sure they are not mixing.. Checked all bolts gaskets and made sure the air housings still secure, all vac and boost hoses, and tried a different intercooler to be sure it wernt that..

simply all left to do is to change actuator then its open it up, cant see what else i can try.

anyways i appreciate your input fella
Old 17-03-2013, 06:05 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Lol nah I ment having it at a constant low speed will effect it in the long run, just as owning a turbo (old people) and driving it slow so the turbos always idling and not boosting, if its got 360 rollers they may be on there last legs and a dodgy seel/bearing would wine
Old 17-03-2013, 07:53 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

the comp wheel could be just starting to catch the housing, ive just done 2 turbos and one of them basically had stopped boosting altogether as the comp wheel was jamming in the housing due to excessive wear needed full rebuild kit shes all good now though the car commuts daily 60 miles.

it could well be the beginning of the end the noise but i dont understand you saying it feels flat yet you say it still spools the same and makes the same boost, if thats the case it cant feel any different due to the turbo, unless it is actually spooling later due to being so worn its starting to catch the housings. but your just not noticing the change in spool ?
Old 17-03-2013, 08:52 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd try TT again but yourself, only used them once but from the off they were spot on, and rather than just flog me something, they wanted to be sure it was at fault, and that if something had caused it I was able to sort that to save another turbo going.

Couldn't fault them,
Old 17-03-2013, 09:01 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

have you got a pic of the turbo?
you may have a tt conversion turbo for an xr2, which is a range rover unit, replace with a saab 9000 lpt turbo, a tiny bit laggier, say 50rpm but more punch if that is the case.
i used turbo force in bamber bridge preston way many times and they identified my old units easily enough.
Old 17-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Seriesonersturbowady
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Rs1
CR turbo's will probably help you out.
Plus one.
Old 19-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Lol nah I ment having it at a constant low speed will effect it in the long run, just as owning a turbo (old people) and driving it slow so the turbos always idling and not boosting, if its got 360 rollers they may be on there last legs and a dodgy seel/bearing would wine

Haha yeah thats what i thought...appreciate your knowledge, and time fella

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
the comp wheel could be just starting to catch the housing, ive just done 2 turbos and one of them basically had stopped boosting altogether as the comp wheel was jamming in the housing due to excessive wear needed full rebuild kit shes all good now though the car commuts daily 60 miles.

it could well be the beginning of the end the noise but i dont understand you saying it feels flat yet you say it still spools the same and makes the same boost, if thats the case it cant feel any different due to the turbo, unless it is actually spooling later due to being so worn its starting to catch the housings. but your just not noticing the change in spool ?

Its holding boost pressure according to the gauge(i know thats not the most reliable way but it is a known good gauge) but the car just feels flat when on boost, holding back if that makes sense, like there just aint no shove.
Re; spool up....No what i meant was(apology here) it is still spooling up but it is later thats for sure, it used to be on song at 2k, but its deffo moved to more like 3k nearly, but once its on boost and holding it, it just feels like its being strangled, no go in it.

Ive an ARF gauge and i have noticed abit of a change in the fueling as well, yet everything's well engine wise, compression, timing, act's, HG, fuel supply, the lot...the turbo is the only thing left from the original car i bought

Be so much easier if i could let you have a go in it

Originally Posted by matts1
I'd try TT again but yourself, only used them once but from the off they were spot on, and rather than just flog me something, they wanted to be sure it was at fault, and that if something had caused it I was able to sort that to save another turbo going.

Couldn't fault them,

Maybe they were having a bad, or my mates a twat which is more likely

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
have you got a pic of the turbo?
you may have a tt conversion turbo for an xr2, which is a range rover unit, replace with a saab 9000 lpt turbo, a tiny bit laggier, say 50rpm but more punch if that is the case.
i used turbo force in bamber bridge preston way many times and they identified my old units easily enough.

Ive a link to the supposed unit, and from re-search its deffo this one
http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/turbo-t...urbo-998-p.asp as ive had it against a brand new re-cond one..but cant be sure of internals untill its open.

TT did from what i as told confirm the serial number as there's but its on the act bracket so tbh the turbo itself might not be one of they're own..and maybe they just dont want the Hassle of it being a Korean copy turning up, cant blame them tbh .

Once again cheers for all the input fella's
Old 19-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Rogeyboy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try turborebuild.co.uk if you get stuck.
Old 19-03-2013, 04:49 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

ive done 2 renault laguna 1.9 dci turbos now, the last one about a month ago.
i just bought and fitted this kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-1-...item1c30baa473

also front comp housing had worn badly the seal carrier had worn 3mm into the housing which i also got from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Back...item23287a6883

and thats it just assemble it all job done. there not tuned just standard cars but still run upto 14 psi of boost.
Old 19-03-2013, 04:53 PM
bluntys1rsturbo
Boost addict

Received 150 Likes on 145 Posts

speak to wilky on here for a rebuild, also no need for a blingy forge actuator, get a genuine garrett -31 that will do the job.

would i be right in thinking this turbo is being used on an r5gtt?
Old 29-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Originally Posted by bluntys1rsturbo
speak to wilky on here for a rebuild, also no need for a blingy forge actuator, get a genuine garrett -31 that will do the job.

would i be right in thinking this turbo is being used on an r5gtt?

Yes mate it is

Video here of the noise's its making

The noise is the strange worbling, like aload of Hornets buzzing around, and the noise appeared just before my issue did...

NEVER heard a turbo making it before, have tried various filters, and no filter to no avail.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP
Old 30-03-2013, 08:04 AM
wilky
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

take the turbo off and have a look at it mate ,why there sealant around the comp housing
should be a c-clip there
Old 30-03-2013, 09:55 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

What the heck is going on with all the sealer stuff all over it?

You sure it's the turbo making that noise? Sounds very deep. Why not whip the inlet pipe off and feel the compressor, give it a spin etc.

Is that a renault 5?
Old 30-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Someone has perhaps rotated the comp housing and tore the paper gasket inside, then bodged the leak with sealant on the outside?