General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can you put a numberplate on retention and sell a car in one hit?! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 20-02-2013, 08:48 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can you put a numberplate on retention and sell a car in one hit?! Help!

I have someone coming over Saturday to look at my DC5, with the hope of him driving it home if we can get a deal. Problem is it still has my private plate on there.

Can I presume that if he buys it he signs the V5, I and I then fill in this form (Section 2 & 4), pay the £105 and send it all off together?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_069390.pdf

So he will then receive his logbook with the new (or original) numberplate on and the private plate is on retention still in my name?

Anyone done this before?

Cheers
Old 20-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Smudge374
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He will have to insure the car on its present plate and then change it once the new registration comes through, however it is my understanding that there can be around 7-10 days during change over where that particular actually has no registration so it is not allowed to be driven on the road. I only know this as my father in law fell foul when he sold his car.
Old 20-02-2013, 09:03 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok cool to be honest i'm more worried about the legal ownership of the plate (a friend 'trusted' a buyer and got stitched up). Filling in section 4 of the above link and paying the £105 means the certificate will come to me?

Also do I presume that the original plate will go back on the car?

Thanks
Old 20-02-2013, 11:21 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

get plate put on retention asap, then you can just put the other plate on when it drops onto the system, just check daily on the mid to find out when exactly the change over happens.
Old 21-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Photocopy your paperwork, etc then pop down to your local VRO with your docs. They send the paperwork off to have the plate put on retention. The car your taking the plate off will, or should be allocated the number previously on it.

I've recently done a retention. The V5 took under two weeks to come back and the retention certificate about a week. From memory the new mot and tax disc were back a few days after I submitted the retention form.

Unless you know the buyer or can 100% trust them, I wouldn't take the chance of selling the car (on paper) before it's been retained/transfered. I'm sure it was Phil aka Boschman or whatever his name is now, that got bit on the arse for this recently and lost a plate. Once you have the V5 back with the new reg nunber, then do the new keeper bit and register them.

It only takes someone in the know to keep the plate and there's FA you'll be able to do about it.

Edited to state the V5 was back a week later

Last edited by Nath; 21-02-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 21-02-2013, 07:14 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks guys, problem is he wants to come Saturday to look, and I imagine he will want to see the original V5 if he is giving me the readies (I certainly would if it were me). I don't know the chap so won't trust him. I'll call the DVLA this morning, from reading that form in the link above I think I can do it all one hit, fill in registered keeper and send off the thin green slip with new keeper details as well as putting the grantee of the numberplate address on the same form?! Bloody confusing, my local DVLA office are blimmin useless as well!!
Old 21-02-2013, 08:03 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

rather than by mail but in person you can do it all in the same day, 2 mates of mine recently sold a focus rs with a private plate and both drove to our local borehamwood office the plate was taken off the focus and relocated onto his new car and the focus buyer was relocated its OE plate all in under an hour and that included new tax discs as they already had the number plates made up
Old 21-02-2013, 09:35 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just spoken to DVLA who have confirmed that it can be all done in one hit, on the above form he has to say he is the registered keeper in section 2, then section 4 the plate details are my details. I then enclose the logbook filled out but have to include the small green slip on the right hand side with his details.

It cannot be done over the counter, has to be posted off so whether I drop it off by hand to Chelmsford DVLA or post it it makes no odds, usually 10 days!
Old 21-02-2013, 10:38 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

you can take a deposit from the buyer, then arrange transfer of the plate immediately after and then allow him to collect once the original plate and tax disc are back in your possession.

how valuable is the plate?
Old 21-02-2013, 11:07 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think he wants to take the car there and then if he decides to buy it. The DVLA did say as well the its between the buyer and seller and not them as to who the legal owner of the plate is as well. I'll just give him the old set of plates or offer to make him a new set if the reg number changes

Value wise probably not a great deal but its the missus plate and she's had it for a long time!
Old 21-02-2013, 11:30 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cfoster
I think he wants to take the car there and then if he decides to buy it. The DVLA did say as well the its between the buyer and seller and not them as to who the legal owner of the plate is as well. I'll just give him the old set of plates or offer to make him a new set if the reg number changes

Value wise probably not a great deal but its the missus plate and she's had it for a long time!
you may be able to make an arrangement, as with 95% of people they will understand and it will all be plain sailing, its the 5% you need to worry about.

i would recommend you hold this guy off until you have your plate on retention and the original plate back on the car if you dont know him from adam

or....if you need the money asap take the gamble!