General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

S2 EFI conv - have i done it correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:39 PM
stafcio
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2 EFI conv - have i done it correctly?

hi everyone
just finished doing conversion from mfi to efi on my s2. i can say that there is complete frst engine in.
i did everything according to rsbible and other sources describing it. engine starts and runs smooth but it's not so perfect i want.
with first start after night there is a smoke coming from exhaust.
head has been repaired and checked for leaks. compression is good.
it smells more like petrol but im not sure. after it warms up and starts again the smoke is gone. turbo has been recondisioned (most of the parts have been replaiced) so it's almost as new.

i had some fault codes (iact, tps, co adjust) i managed to fix everything. now i don't have any codes. system is ok.
but when i start it, it idles wrong.

any ideas what should i check or do??
thanks in advance
Old 09-02-2013, 03:45 PM
grant_xr
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

get it set up properly imo
Old 09-02-2013, 04:03 PM
mattcroft
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those bits of footage looks like water vapour coming from the exhaust. Is the head torqued up tight and in the correct order? Head gasket new? Is it losing water? Turbo cooler all plumbed in correctly? Doesn't idle great. I'd suggest that needs more looking at. Is it the whole frs set up including map sensore and ecu?

As grant said, needs a proper set up.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by grant_xr
get it set up properly imo
Originally Posted by mattcroft
Those bits of footage looks like water vapour coming from the exhaust. Is the head torqued up tight and in the correct order? Head gasket new? Is it losing water? Turbo cooler all plumbed in correctly? Doesn't idle great. I'd suggest that needs more looking at. Is it the whole frs set up including map sensore and ecu?

As grant said, needs a proper set up.
It's Fiesta Turbo EFI, there is nothing to setup aside the idle mixture! lol But that could well be the cause of the hunting so that is where I would start.
The smoke in the first photo looks blue to me which is oil so either rings or valve stem seals as you say the turbo is recon.
The white 'smoke' in the video's could just be condensation (look how cold it is, there's snow on the ground) so if your not losing water and the coolant system isn't over pressurised I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Sadly when retro fitting a 20+ year old ECU, loom and probably sensors it's hard to know where to start with fault finding, could be a poor contact, broken wire, anything!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:46 PM
mattcroft
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karlos G
It's Fiesta Turbo EFI, there is nothing to setup aside the idle mixture! lol But that could well be the cause of the hunting so that is where I would start.
The smoke in the first photo looks blue to me which is oil so either rings or valve stem seals as you say the turbo is recon.
The white 'smoke' in the video's could just be condensation (look how cold it is, there's snow on the ground) so if your not losing water and the coolant system isn't over pressurised I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Sadly when retro fitting a 20+ year old ECU, loom and probably sensors it's hard to know where to start with fault finding, could be a poor contact, broken wire, anything!
Fair comment, the mixture does need a set up on the rollers. I found the original fuel regulator was best (i don't rate the fse ones if it's running one - irregular fueling up the rev range).

I must check my laptop colour settings, i thought it was more water vapour. That idle really does need sorting though.

Anyway, best of luck with it.