General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How do car dealer warranties work?

Search this Thread

Old 26-01-2013, 04:58 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default How do car dealer warranties work?

Hi everyone, long story short, I have bought a mercedes CLS from a car dealer (non mercedes) so jam entitled to 3 months warranty with the car.

Basically I have noticed the rear screen leaks water when I wash the car, so will be taking it back to them to rectify...

However, do I have to take it to whoever they say?? Or can I take the car to whoever I want and send them the bill?

I'm not sure of the legalities of this so thought I would ask as if there's anything else wrong I would much prefer to take it to someone I know rather than the dealer
Old 26-01-2013, 05:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

got to take it back to the dealer you bought it from to give them a chance to repair the fault before you go all legal

if you get it done and then stick them with the bill they probably won't need to pay you if they could have got it done for 1/4 of the price using one of their chaps

a nice polite phone call to explain the situation and tell them you are coming in tomorrow first thing should at least give them some chance to get their shit together
Old 26-01-2013, 05:03 PM
dojj

also, how long have you had the car before you noticed the problem?
Old 26-01-2013, 05:46 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Yeah they know dojj, it aint a problem taking it back...I have to ring them on monday to drop the car off...

The problem being, we all know most dealers will use cheap methods to remedy problems...where as if I can take it to my guys, I know the job will be done properly...

But I dont know if I am able to do so or what the ins and outs of it are...
Old 26-01-2013, 05:56 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

depends if the warranty is with the company you bought the car off or with an out sourced company as in they bought a warranty and sold it to you, if its the latter you can have it done at any vat registered repairer they will just have to ring the warranty company for authorisation and payment
Old 26-01-2013, 07:03 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by bassboy
Yeah they know dojj, it aint a problem taking it back...I have to ring them on monday to drop the car off...

The problem being, we all know most dealers will use cheap methods to remedy problems...where as if I can take it to my guys, I know the job will be done properly...

But I dont know if I am able to do so or what the ins and outs of it are...
they are in it for the money so will use the cheapest method, if it doesn't work, even though it should, then i'd speak directly to the boss of the firm that sold you the car explaining what your concerns are

a warranty by a third party is different to what you are experiencing as your motor is less than 3 months old as far as the warranty covered by the dealer is concerned so you can go back to the dealer as it's all one of them goods fit for purpouse type things which i'm sure someone else will be able to explain better than me

assuming you have taken out an extended warranty with the likes of warranty direct or the like?
Old 27-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Main dealers do not use the cheapest method,, they replace with a non come back inline based on testing and comebacks are at te dealers expense if it done correct on the first place which is paied for by the manufacturer

Trending Topics

Old 27-01-2013, 02:31 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

A said it depends on the warranty - They may refuse to cover it under warranty.

Legally (taking the Sale of Goods Act into account) you HAVE to give the dealer the right to rectify the situation before taking it elsewhere. if you go elsewhere first, you don't have a legal leg to stand on.
Old 27-01-2013, 10:29 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Cheers guys...just something to know for future reference...

Fingers crossed ill get stuck in with the new build next week!
Old 28-01-2013, 06:34 AM
dojj

Nice write up on the rs btw