General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Piper/Hales court case

Search this Thread

Old 25-01-2013, 04:38 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
So you are saying that sticking it in the wrong gear won't over rev an engine if it has a rev limiter fitted to it?
no, of course i'm not saying that - i'm not stupid

i'm saying that the specific issue with the car as has been detailed is that it often doesn't go into gear and is therefore in a false neutral, a situation where a rev limiter would prevent damage.

any other situation is irrelevant. of course sticking it in a wrong (lower) gear may still cause a mechanical over speed which a spark or fuel cut type rev limiter cannot prevent. equally, an asteroid landing on the engine from outer space would damage the engine, but it seems that neither of those things were likely to happen.

can i not write in english, or can you not read it?

sorry to the OP, this is dragging it a bit off topic

Last edited by foreigneRS; 25-01-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 25-01-2013, 06:01 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!
Old 25-01-2013, 09:21 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
no, of course i'm not saying that - i'm not stupid

i'm saying that the specific issue with the car as has been detailed is that it often doesn't go into gear and is therefore in a false neutral, a situation where a rev limiter would prevent damage.

any other situation is irrelevant. of course sticking it in a wrong (lower) gear may still cause a mechanical over speed which a spark or fuel cut type rev limiter cannot prevent. equally, an asteroid landing on the engine from outer space would damage the engine, but it seems that neither of those things were likely to happen.

can i not write in english, or can you not read it?

sorry to the OP, this is dragging it a bit off topic
i seem to recall a recent post where you said you didn't get wound up......

i wasn't saying your version of events wasn't true, i was simply asking if over reving the engine by putting it into 3rd when you were looking for 5th would prevent engine damage, you just took some low hanging fruit when you mentioned asteroids

but yes, i know what you meant when you said it and i'm not upset because you put some nice little on the end

back to the question of "you bend it you mend it" if it's a mates car i borrow then of course, that stands to reason, but if it's a car you are hooning about in for a publication, the person who fills the forms in should have made it clear who would be footing the bill if things went tits up, either the magazine or the owner, certainly not the test pilot because said test pilot should know his limits AND said test pilot should have been properly vetted by the employer before letting said test pilot out on a test flight of some very expensive machinery