General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Daylight running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 PM
TopDogEmz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Daylight running lights?

I will be putting (white LED) day light running lights onto the front of my Ford Fiesta zetec, 2003 model.

The 2 lights are L6.5" x W1.2" x H0.5" (each)

I wanted them at the lowest point on the grill (that's below the bumper)- by the fog lights but my petrol head friend said it will be too low...
I then suggested the very top of that grill (just under the Reg plate) but he then said, its too close to the radiator and it'll melt the LED case and/or any of the wire casing.

(my lower grill is Horizontal and so the lights will fit nicely anywhere along there)

He said he would take off the ford badge and cut to sized gaps into the grill (between the two head lights) to fit the lights in there, and either leaving off or putting back the ford badge.

As wiring them up isn't really a 10 minuet job, i would really like to know if anyone else has put daylight LED's onto the front of their car and where the best place to put them would be.

- All help will be much appreciated!
Emily
Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 PM
20004x4
BANNED
BANNED

audi, who seem to put these on most of there new cars, run them along the inside of the headlights,
so i would run them just under the headlight the same width as the headlight glass
Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 AM
thebronze
Blag Master

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Your friend is a TWAT.... they won't "melt".... atleast they won't from the heat of the rad
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM
TopDogEmz

Originally Posted by 20004x4
so i would run them just under the headlight the same width as the headlight glass
We thought about that. But i think either my friend or my dad said that would mean (because of the size of the LED's i've got) that we would need to cut a gap under the head light for the LED's to fit.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 AM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

From what i can gather daytime running lights are dimmable at night and need a propper wiring loom to run them off as people have seen relays etc burnt out. you can buy them for the like of Ł6 or they range upto the likes of Ł400. you really need the ones that dim to about 60%/70% at night.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM
TopDogEmz

Originally Posted by S3an
From what i can gather daytime running lights are dimmable at night and need a propper wiring loom to run them off as people have seen relays etc burnt out. you can buy them for the like of Ł6 or they range upto the likes of Ł400. you really need the ones that dim to about 60%/70% at night.
mmm okays thank you
Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

whatever you do, it's gonna look shit and be a waste of time and money, but you young uns know better
Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 PM
mattcroft
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car came with them and designed with them, great. If it didn't, why??!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:09 PM
TopDogEmz

Well we obviously don't have the same opinion but you don't need to be so rude...
To be very honest, what i want to do to my car is my choice and as we don't know each other your opinions on this idea will make no difference. I only asked because I didn't know where I should/could put them.
It's a fiesta, there are millions around, so one with daylights won't matter to you or anyone else... I'm not sellin my car anytime soon, if/when I do I'm not going to sell it with the lights and I'm not going to cut wholes in places and devalue the car.

Because they make the car a bit safer (being more visible) and I thought it would make my car different and more unique - as I have multi-coloured hair and I'm a bit different my self... But as you don't know me you shouldn't judge me.

Last edited by TopDogEmz; 11-01-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:00 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

yep, you know better

in 10 or 20 years time you'll look back and wish that you hadn't wasted money doing things like that and had put it towards a house deposit or on going travelling or something useful - i've been there and done it.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 AM
cabriolet
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fella go for yr lights individuality is what makes us all different dont listen to the doubters
Old 12-01-2013, 11:43 AM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by TopDogEmz
Well we obviously don't have the same opinion but you don't need to be so rude...
To be very honest, what i want to do to my car is my choice and as we don't know each other your opinions on this idea will make no difference. I only asked because I didn't know where I should/could put them.
It's a fiesta, there are millions around, so one with daylights won't matter to you or anyone else... I'm not sellin my car anytime soon, if/when I do I'm not going to sell it with the lights and I'm not going to cut wholes in places and devalue the car.

Because they make the car a bit safer (being more visible) and I thought it would make my car different and more unique - as I have multi-coloured hair and I'm a bit different my self... But as you don't know me you shouldn't judge me.
wow what a post you do what you want mate good on you it don't matter that it will look shit its your car and if you want to look like a peacock that's your choice
Old 12-01-2013, 11:44 AM
cossiejay

expect banter on this site
Old 12-01-2013, 02:06 PM
TopDogEmz

The lights only cost me Ł7 including p&p. I'm constantly working and being a student I get grants. So it's not like Ł7 will change my life.
I know one day ill Think it was stupid but hey...
Old 12-01-2013, 02:12 PM
TopDogEmz

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
yep, you know better

- i've been there and done it.
At no point did I say I know it all. It's jut something I want to try out on my car. If I like it then I'm keeping it.
If you have "been there and done it" then what's so wrong with me doing it? At one point you obviously thought the same thing to want to do it.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 PM
ST Turbo
Regular Contributor

yep, you know better

in 10 or 20 years time you'll look back and wish that you hadn't wasted money doing things like that and had put it towards a house deposit or on going travelling or something useful - i've been there and done it.
Originally Posted by cossiejay
wow what a post you do what you want mate good on you it don't matter that it will look shit its your car and if you want to look like a peacock that's your choice
expect banter on this site

There are some utter cunts on this site you know, it amazes me that people stick around for as long as they do. At the end of the day, everyone goes through phases of wanting to do stupid things to their cars which they will regret a few years a go, and thing what a complete bellend I was. But you dont need to be sarcastic or tell he's an idiot etc etc, if your not going to help him out then simply ignore the thread.

There's a difference between banter and bullying. You have banter with friends.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:31 PM
cossiejay

Originally Posted by ST Turbo
There are some utter cunts on this site you know, it amazes me that people stick around for as long as they do. At the end of the day, everyone goes through phases of wanting to do stupid things to their cars which they will regret a few years a go, and thing what a complete bellend I was. But you dont need to be sarcastic or tell he's an idiot etc etc, if your not going to help him out then simply ignore the thread.

I was under the impression we were all mates having a laugh and helping each other out no one has bullied anyone
Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 PM
TopDogEmz

I'm a girl.
But thank you very much =]
Old 12-01-2013, 02:40 PM
ST Turbo
Regular Contributor

I was under the impression we were all mates having a laugh and helping each other out no one has bullied anyone

Fair enough if your having a laugh, you might well be, but from the guy's replies doesnt seem like he found it funny.

When I read it I didnt think it was funny, the guy come on here asking for advice, and the replies he gets are, save your money, dont be stupid, its going to look shit either way etc etc, just cuntish replies really, and its no need.

You dont need to mug someone off just because you dont like there idea's.

Its reponses like you give is the reason the site is full of the same old people and no new comers want to stay. I recently joined m3cutters, and I have never met such a helpful lot of people. Its a complete different atmousphere then what is created here. Pretty disgusting really.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:41 PM
ST Turbo
Regular Contributor

I'm a girl.
lol my bad ***her/she***
Old 12-01-2013, 02:49 PM
cossiejay

Fair enough if your having a laugh, you might well be, but from the guy's replies doesnt seem like he found it funny.

When I read it I didnt think it was funny, the guy come on here asking for advice, and the replies he gets are, save your money, dont be stupid, its going to look shit either way etc etc, just cuntish replies really, and its no need.

You dont need to mug someone off just because you dont like there idea's.

Its reponses like you give is the reason the site is full of the same old people and no new comers want to stay. I recently joined m3cutters, and I have never met such a helpful lot of people. Its a complete different atmousphere then what is created here. Pretty disgusting really.
if your not going to like the answers don't post the thread
Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
TopDogEmz

But most of the replies wernt the answers to the question I asked.
Besides I was hoping that someone had put daylights on their focus or fiesta and could tell me where (& why there) and if it was difficult or if any problems had accrued...
Old 12-01-2013, 02:58 PM
TopDogEmz

lol my bad ***her/she***

Lol thanks =]
Old 12-01-2013, 03:03 PM
ST Turbo
Regular Contributor

I'm a girl.

LOLOL please dont tell me thats a serious reply mate? The Thread wasnt about who thinks this is a good idea? It was help with decideing a place to situate them.

SO, in that case, i would be expecting some replies like, put them here, no put them there, instead she gets the complete opposite and is like there going to look shit, and you know better and all that ballshit. So dont try and give me, if you dont like it, then dont post it.

At the end of the day mate your just a internet bully, and you dont like it the fact someone has put you in your place. Just be a man and apologise, nothing wrong with doing that.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The girl only asked for some advice, please don't slate a newbie ,

She joined up on here and doesn't know how people are and won't be aware of any so called "banter"
Old 12-01-2013, 03:14 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I'm a girl.
In that case, pics or stfu

Personally, I wouldn't fit them, I think they look a bit chavvy on any car that they weren't designed for. But if you have already got them, may as well stick them on and see what they look like!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

really welcoming ain't ya,

Last edited by Mrs T; 12-01-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:43 PM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

as I said on your other thread car mods are a learning curve so its a case of trial and error, just learn by any mistakes and it will bode you well in the future, some of the advice given was factual like units that self dim or after a while they are likely to pack up and then your back to square one, leds do not heat in the way normal bulbs do so location wise you should be fine as its your choice, best of luck
Old 12-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=RichieST;6138282]In that case, pics or stfu

Lol.was waiting for that one......

Last edited by Cragrat; 12-01-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
kevin lancelott
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about above the fog lamps because if you look at the new mondeo they are above the fogs plus yours are curved at the bottom so it might be tricky to get them straight.I would say close to the fogs not right in the middle of the bumper if you know what I mean.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've yet to see a car with aftermarket DRLs that look good. They work when they're built into the design of the car, but always seem like a clumsy addition when retro fitted. They also look really daft on a sunny day!

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 12-01-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:34 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

LOLOL please dont tell me thats a serious reply mate? The Thread wasnt about who thinks this is a good idea? It was help with decideing a place to situate them.

SO, in that case, i would be expecting some replies like, put them here, no put them there, instead she gets the complete opposite and is like there going to look shit, and you know better and all that ballshit. So dont try and give me, if you dont like it, then dont post it.

At the end of the day mate your just a internet bully, and you dont like it the fact someone has put you in your place. Just be a man and apologise, nothing wrong with doing that.
we're all grown ups. if we don't like to hear others opinions, we shouldn't invite them by posting.

i may have been blunt, but that's just how i am. i call a spade a spade and say it how i see it. if you don't want to read it, put me on your ignore list please
Old 12-01-2013, 05:40 PM
BigChuck

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
I've yet to see a car with aftermarket DRLs that look good. They work when they're built into the design off the car, but always seem like a clumsy addition when retro fitted. They also look really daft on a sunny day!

this/\

plus dlr's can make a nice new prestige car look cheap and tacky.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

just fot spme audi headlights

if you are going to be different
plus, you can pop the eahdlight glass out on those so do that and fit them inside the headliht casing
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM
cossiejay

how am I a internet bully ,is it the time of the month for you
Old 12-01-2013, 06:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

hang on, someone i know put them in a strip underneath their headlights and they were great and then put some indicator ones in above them which flashed brighter than the dlr's which giving the impression that they were getting dimmer

didn't to do goo when it rained mind
Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we're all grown ups. if we don't like to hear others opinions, we shouldn't invite them by posting.

i may have been blunt, but that's just how i am. i call a spade a spade and say it how i see it. if you don't want to read it, put me on your ignore list please

or

if you have nothing nice to say or have the ability to construct a polite sentance then dont bother ????
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

so we should only tell people what they want to hear? or sugar coat it? bunch of wet pussys
Old 12-01-2013, 06:33 PM
cossiejay

so we should only tell people what they want to hear? or sugar coat it? bunch of wet pussys
+1 or only speak when we are spoken too
Old 12-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Sinbad
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I work with a bloke that has glued them on to his headlights on a 8 series BMW, please don't follow his theme

Quick Reply: Daylight running lights?