General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

F.A.O any plumbers help needed (TIFF so im told lol)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005 | 05:49 PM
rsrob
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default F.A.O any plumbers help needed (TIFF so im told lol)

im after a bit of help, i have just fitted a new tank and cylinder as there was no hot water pressure in my house and there still isnt

so i have bought a new system boiler which isnt fitted yet but im wondering is there any pump i can put on the hot water pipe to give it a push ??? or would a shower pump do the same job ???

please help as i have just got a huge bath with wirlpool and it is going to take 3hrs to fill it
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:50 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

PM TIff Rob he's a plumber
Old 10-03-2005 | 08:09 PM
rsrob

cheers dude

tiff please help pweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese
Old 10-03-2005 | 08:12 PM
Little Joe
Advanced PassionFord User

No help from him at the mo his is on the PS2 playin GT4!

Old 10-03-2005 | 08:14 PM
Dunccoss
PassionFord Post Troll

tell me what you have mate, combi boiler or norm
Old 10-03-2005 | 08:24 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED

Tiff will have been out shooting pheasants all day, so he'll probably be pretty tired right now.
Old 10-03-2005 | 10:03 PM
Cozzie Bhoy

Hi Rob, You can fit a pump in your hot press which will do both hot & cold water. You will need to fit a surrey flange into the top of the cylinder to stop the pump drawing air down the expansion/vent. These pumps are a few hundred quid for a good one. A shower pump would be a bit small. You will also need at least a 60 gallon storage tank. If you have en-suite and down stairs loo you might need a second one as the pumps don't half pull water. If you need to know anymore let me know.

Trending Topics

Old 11-03-2005 | 11:18 AM
rsrob

i have a 144 litre cylinder with just the bathroom, kitchen sink and washer runing off the hot water but there has never been any pressure

i have moved the cylinder and tank into the loft but as the cylinder was a bit on the big size i didnt have the head room to to put the tank much higher, it is basicly right on top of the cylinder

i have bought a system boiler to heat the water aswell would that give it an extra push ??

do you have any links on these other pumps ????
Old 11-03-2005 | 02:58 PM
Rob-ZetecS
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

sysytem boiler wont make no difference.

you need to pump the water

bit late now but should have installed an unvented cyliner
Old 11-03-2005 | 03:00 PM
Rob-ZetecS

also it dont matter where the cold tank is in relation to your cylinder it only matters about the cold tank to get pressure so if it cant go any higher in the loft then nothing you can do
Old 11-03-2005 | 04:55 PM
rsrob

any good places to get 1 of these pumps then ??
Old 11-03-2005 | 08:42 PM
Cozzie Bhoy

Any plumbing/builders supplies would have them. Is your supply to the cylinder from the storage tank and from the cylinder to your bath 22mm-3/4" ? It should be. I've seen them in 15mm-1/2". On a gravity system the pressure would be very poor. Another cause could be an obstruction in the supply somewhere. I pulled bat bones out of a pipe one day. Check these before you waste money on a pump.
Old 11-03-2005 | 08:42 PM
pugo

its head pressure your suffering with you will get 0.4 psi per foot and that is from the water level in the tank to the outlet of the water from the top of the cylinder ........if you are really sensible you will put the cylinder back where it was and leave the water tank in the loft and the water pressure will be fine

you can increase the volume slightly by increasing the vent volume from the cylinder...........instead of going straight up with the vent run it atangle and halfway up it go from 22mm(which it should be run in)to about 56mm and the back to 22mm before it loops over into the cylinder(basically it beats the drop in the tank when the tank level gets low) this will stop the spitting of water from the hot bath tap(or all those run in 22mm) on the down services hot water

Pugo

PS better still, get a bl00dy plumber in to sort your diy nightmare out
Old 11-03-2005 | 08:48 PM
pugo

also it dont matter where the cold tank is in relation to your cylinder it only matters about the cold tank to get pressure so if it cant go any higher in the loft then nothing you can do
what a load of cr8p..........that is where you get the pressure from for your down services......what do you think pushes the water over the top of the cylinder its the drop from the tank to the cylinder......that is why the tank should be in the loft and the cylinder should be on the 1st floor............
if your description was right you could have the cylinder higher than the tank

Pugo
Old 11-03-2005 | 08:57 PM
Cozzie Bhoy

Pugo

PS better still, get a bl00dy plumber in to sort your diy nightmare out [/quote]

Old 11-03-2005 | 09:04 PM
pugo

it had to be said

Old 11-03-2005 | 09:17 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

Tiff is very good with his "service", just get your money out.

Hes a good plumber aswell
Old 11-03-2005 | 09:22 PM
Dunccoss
PassionFord Post Troll

pugo what are you on about mate, the head of water is from the level in your cold water tank to your hot water tap, it doesnt change the head / pressure where the hot water tank is between them the only problem you can get with the cold water tank and hot water cylinder being close is sucking air down the vent.
If you want to do the job right the cold feed to the cylinder should be one size bigger than the hot out let, ie cold feed 28mm hot out let to taps 22mm.
cheers dunc
Old 12-03-2005 | 08:27 AM
Rob-ZetecS

Originally Posted by Dunccoss
pugo what are you on about mate, the head of water is from the level in your cold water tank to your hot water tap, it doesnt change the head / pressure where the hot water tank is between them .
cheers dunc
thank you dunc.
Old 12-03-2005 | 10:43 AM
rsrob

is your supply to the cylinder from the storage tank and from the cylinder to your bath 22mm-3/4" ?
yes

you can increase the volume slightly by increasing the vent volume from the cylinder...........instead of going straight up with the vent run it atangle and halfway up it go from 22mm(which it should be run in)to about 56mm and the back to 22mm before it loops over into the cylinder(basically it beats the drop in the tank when the tank level gets low) this will stop the spitting of water from the hot bath tap(or all those run in 22mm) on the down services hot water smile011.gif

PS better still, get a bl00dy plumber in to sort your diy nightmare out
lol already done that with the breather pipe and i cant move the cylinder down to the first floor as i have no room for it so it looks like a pump is the only way to sort it out.

thanks for the advice lads
Old 12-03-2005 | 11:48 AM
pugo

pugo what are you on about mate, the head of water is from the level in your cold water tank to your hot water tap, it doesnt change the head / pressure where the hot water tank is between them
your saying where the cylinder is between them.......the post from 'zetecs' said the cylinder could be any where i.e possibly higher (remember you are explaining this to a guy that doesn't really know what he is doing)

also lets say the tank is on the roof of a block of flats and the hot tap is on the ground floor........the cylinder is fed with 28mm and the take off is 22mm

now would the pressure vs volume ratio at the tap be the same if the cylinder was on the 10 floor or the 2nd......er nope
so yes it does..........or have you not heard of frictional loss through pipework????

Pugo
Old 12-03-2005 | 04:05 PM
Rob-ZetecS

anyone who can install a cwst and cylinder does not nned to be told that that the tank has to go go higher, hes a DIYer not a fucking baby.

also how much flow do you think you lose from having another length of 22?? (i.e from first floor to the loft) fuck all

also frictional loss occurs with elbows and bends , not just the size of the pipe ,so now your talking about the actual pipe runs themselves. not all cold feeds are straight down!
Old 12-03-2005 | 06:30 PM
rsrob

chill out lads was after a bit of advice lol

i always knew it wasnt ideal having em both stuck in the loft but i have no room for it anywhere else so thats why i just wanted to know if they did a pump for the hot pipe

thanks for the advice tho lads ill lookfor a pump this week
Old 12-03-2005 | 08:09 PM
pugo

anyone who can install a cwst and cylinder does not nned to be told that that the tank has to go go higher, hes a DIYer not a fucking baby.
I didn't say he was a baby.and i realise he is a DIYer, however it does seem he doesn't have a pressure problem he has a flow problem, i.e reduction in volume , his tank is as high as he can get it in the loft, i am presuming his bath is on the floor below...so he will have about 16ft drop which is ample therefore he either has a partial blockage in a pipe or the vent is too small

also frictional loss occurs with elbows and bends , not just the size of the pipe ,so now your talking about the actual pipe runs themselves. not all cold feeds are straight down!
so now what your saying is in contradiction to your previous statement

also it dont matter where the cold tank is in relation to your cylinder

pugo
Old 12-03-2005 | 08:55 PM
Rob-ZetecS

no no its you who is contradicting yourself.

i said the cylinder can go anywhere (obviously not higher) to the tank and the flow and pressure is the same, then you come along with your bit about how you get better flow the longer the cold feed is as the bigger pipe (cold feed) has less friction

so i said this isnt true as the 'big' cold feed pipe could be full of elbows, so youd be better off having a small cold feed and long straight hot pipe.

ive read your posts in other topics and your very hard to get through to, so im not gonna bother arguing any more
Old 12-03-2005 | 10:20 PM
Cozzie Bhoy

C'mon Pugo . This is getting entertaining
Old 12-03-2005 | 11:15 PM
pugo

i said the cylinder can go anywhere (obviously not higher)
no you never said it couldn't go higher...you just added that bit..and how the fook does the guy (if he didn't know) know its obvious if he has never fitted one

ive read your posts in other topics and your very hard to get through to
yep especially when your now agreeing with me about frictional loses.....proving that your earlier statement was bollox
and yes i know that bends increase frictional loss....i was trying to keep it simple so that YOU would understand

fook me,,,it ain't that hard......the bloke has already got problems and now your shooting from the hip

Pugo
PS its better to give somebody all the info or no info at all.it tends to help them in the long run
Old 12-03-2005 | 11:41 PM
rsrob

Old 13-03-2005 | 12:35 PM
Rob-ZetecS

Originally Posted by pugo

also lets say the tank is on the roof of a block of flats and the hot tap is on the ground floor........the cylinder is fed with 28mm and the take off is 22mm

now would the pressure vs volume ratio at the tap be the same if the cylinder was on the 10 floor or the 2nd......er nope
so yes it does..........or have you not heard of frictional loss through pipework????
Originally Posted by Rob-ZetecS

this isnt true as the 'big' cold feed pipe could be full of elbows, so youd be better off having a small cold feed and long straight hot pipe.
so no it wouldnt be better on the 2nd floor

also how many cylinders actually have a 28mm CF probably 1 in 10, this guy said he dont so again your theory of putting it in the first floor is a waste of time
Old 13-03-2005 | 06:39 PM
pugo

your making yourself look stupid dude the bloke who started the thread even agree's with me.........and i thought you weren't gonna argue with me or is this just another of your amazing contradictions

fook me and you had the cheek to say i was to hard to get through to!!whats your middle name,? fookin titanium

Pugo

PS your waffling now
Old 13-03-2005 | 06:42 PM
pugo

so no it wouldnt be better on the 2nd floor
where would it be better then if they were both dead straight runs like i asked or are you just making it up as your going along now(that means no bends)????????

Old 13-03-2005 | 09:03 PM
Rob-ZetecS

Originally Posted by pugo
your making yourself look stupid dude the bloke who started the thread even agree's with me

DIYers sticking together, aye?

oh and i take it ''your waffling now'' means oh yes rob, actually your right and i cant think of anything else to say
Old 13-03-2005 | 09:48 PM
rsrob

lol at you 2
Old 14-03-2005 | 05:24 AM
pugo

oh and i take it ''your waffling now'' means oh yes rob, actually your right and i cant think of anything else to say
no it means i gave a scenario to you and you altered it to completely suit yourself its like me saying 2 + 2 =4...always, and you saying not if you divide it by 3 it ain't

and NO ' mr contradiction' i do not think your right.........who you trying to convince here????? yourself or the rest of us [quote]

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:03 pm Post subject:

DIYers sticking together, aye?
well i am not and it does seem rsrob has 5 times the clue that you have.............yeah put your cylinder where you like mate.......put it in your shed if ya want

fook me . remind me not to ask you to plumb anything in you fookin chancer

Pugo
Old 14-03-2005 | 03:25 PM
Rob-ZetecS

Originally Posted by 'pugo'
yeah put your cylinder where you like mate.......put it in your shed if ya want

Pugo
i think you've run that one a bit dry now mate.

i origainally said it can go anywhere because of this....

Originally Posted by rsrob
i didnt have the head room to to put the tank much higher, it is basicly right on top of the cylinder
so as you can see he never said where shall i install it, i was just pointing out to him that it dont make much difference where the cyliner was as some knob like you came round and told him the only way cylinders work is if there on the first floor

and being a chancer for saying its ok for cylinders to go in lofts? no mate its called plumbing in the real world. so tell me if you was asked to put a cylinder in the loft due to no room ANYWHERE else suitable, youd walk away? ''sorry love these types of houses cant have hot water''
Old 14-03-2005 | 03:58 PM
pugo

are you going on about..............i never said it can't go in the loft.....you offer a bloke half the advice he asks....even he agreed

and being a chancer for saying its ok for cylinders to go in lofts? no mate its called plumbing in the real world. so tell me if you was asked to put a cylinder in the loft due to no room ANYWHERE else suitable, youd walk away
....i have twin cylinders mounted under my tanks in the loft(which i fitted)
is this all a bit hard for you to understand ????

you were obviously talking crap when you said the cylinder can go anywhere with no affect at all , which you have already agreed was wrong as you now agree about frictional loses, you never mentioned to the guy (who is a diy'r) something fookin obvious about the where the cylinder should go ..., you have no knowledge of his understanding or technical abilities when it comes to plumbing

so believe me if i ever needed a plumber(which i won't) or indeed if the people that read this thread need a plumber.......i would guess your number (especially with your attitude) would be the fookin last one they would use

i origainally said it can go anywhere because of this....

rsrob wrote:

i didnt have the head room to to put the tank much higher, it is basicly right on top of the cylinder

you said
yes....so here is your post....he may have took it as dont worry mate fit your tank at the same level as your cylinder for all you know

are you actually understanding any of this or are you just going to argue for the sake of it

Pugo

Ps ..have you thought of changing trades??????????
Old 14-03-2005 | 04:21 PM
Rob-ZetecS

FFS you dont read english very well, his question werent ''where shall i install my cylinder'' its already installed!!, he thought because the tank was directly above the cylinder, he thought this was his problem. i was simply stating it wasnt.

as for my attitude, im not the one arguing with an 18 yr old gas fitting apprentice over the internet.
Old 14-03-2005 | 04:24 PM
pugo

18 yr old gas fitting apprentice
yes .....and that juat about sums it up.........

another boy trying to join a mans world
Old 14-03-2005 | 04:25 PM
Rob-ZetecS

men dont aruge over the internet with teenagers
Old 14-03-2005 | 04:32 PM
rsrob

can see what you mean pugo but i think he also has a point as it is already up there so im going to have to live with it.

my house isnt that big and the bath was huge so it was the only option i had. so i think ill just get a pump to give it a bit of a push

thanks for the advice lads now i need a pump any 1 do me 1 cheap ???

Quick Reply: F.A.O any plumbers help needed (TIFF so im told lol)