General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

eBay prices? Realistic?

Search this Thread

Old 18-12-2012, 06:10 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay prices? Realistic?

Following on from the Chrysler thread I remembered that I'm after a rear axle for my grand cherokee 4.0 lpg 2000 my thats sat about for a bit now and I found a few for a reasonable price which was great.

Now, with the car needing a few other job's (although not majors) I thought, is it worth doing? It doesn't stand me much and putting say another £2-250 into it sometimes isn't worth the bother.

Or so I first thought!!!

The prices for these have gone silly on eBay, I couldn't find one with t&t and lpg, resonable miles for much under £2000 so it makes it well worth my while to get it sorted and passed on, but my question is how reliable are these prices?

Yeah I know I'll get the usual "it's only worth what someone will pay for it " bullshit wank comment but a few years back when selling up the business I shifted a lot of stuff from eBay with no problems, it's just I'm pretty much out of all that now and what with working away etc its hard to be there to meet people,arrange collections/deliveries etc.

Bit different now as I'm home more than in work so just wondering if the prices seem accurate or am I falling into the seasonal trap of anything 4X4 fetching stupid money?

Thoughts welcome.
Old 18-12-2012, 06:15 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...32bs?logcode=p

So it turns out autotrader feel the same way, this is the cheapest LPG motor on there, slightly higher miles but pretty much the same veichle.

Good news all round.
Old 18-12-2012, 08:23 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Left hand side under 'Show only' Category, tick completed listings, ones that are green sold at that price, red never sold.

Should give you a better idea.
Old 18-12-2012, 08:44 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

but even if it shows that it sold at that price,
it doesn't realy mean that i sold at that price?
as everybody and their canny bid up cars now
i've been out bid plenty times, only for the same item to be relisted the next day etc
so how many of those jeeps actualy sold?
obviously theres the usual inflated winter prices for the 4x4's
but if you get it sorted quick then you could cash in on that
Old 18-12-2012, 11:09 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by jamie's
but even if it shows that it sold at that price,
it doesn't realy mean that i sold at that price?
as everybody and their canny bid up cars now
i've been out bid plenty times, only for the same item to be relisted the next day etc
so how many of those jeeps actualy sold?
obviously theres the usual inflated winter prices for the 4x4's
but if you get it sorted quick then you could cash in on that
Yeah i do agree with all of the above, I was just thinking it was a £1000 car and therefore not worth bothering with but aside from a wheel bearing failiure and the fact it's about the same effort to do the bearing as replace the axle plus I can get the bearing done on the spare axle then making sure I have another good one (if that makes any sense!!!), theres very little wrong with it,no rust or dents but it was cat C so I understand its gonna lose a bit but at £2000 for the cheapest one out there I should be onto £1500 for mine as a base price as it's only done 90K.

Problem is as well whats a cat c grand cherokee with no t&t plus needing a rear axle/wheelbearing worth?
About 10p no doubt!!!!
Old 18-12-2012, 11:09 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MikeyRobbo
Left hand side under 'Show only' Category, tick completed listings, ones that are green sold at that price, red never sold.

Should give you a better idea.
I shall try that sir,more top computer advice!!
Old 19-12-2012, 03:48 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

Pal just bought a very tidy 1 today off a friend,overheating as coolant cap was rotten and matrix was gone £500,non eBay sale but he had a good look around and he reckoned you could get 1 with mot for around 800,he bought the £500 one as it was close and he knows the owner and it worked out for him.
It doesn't have lpg,1 owner,high spec and about 60k,w reg too.
Old 19-12-2012, 05:28 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 155lee
Pal just bought a very tidy 1 today off a friend,overheating as coolant cap was rotten and matrix was gone £500,non eBay sale but he had a good look around and he reckoned you could get 1 with mot for around 800,he bought the £500 one as it was close and he knows the owner and it worked out for him.
It doesn't have lpg,1 owner,high spec and about 60k,w reg too.
Hi lee, great to hear from you mate.
Yeah that was my first thought fella but honestly looking everywhere, even gumtree which stuff's usually being given away on £1500 is rock rock bottom but realistically £2000 with the gas,of course you could stab them on the price a bit as were all open to offers etc but that seems to be the start point.
His the WJ model or a late older one?
Whatever it is he had a bargain!!!
The matrix is a dash out job from memory as well,quite common on them too but for that money its worth putting a bit of time into it,or shorting the matrix out and enjoying it.
Great in the snow and offroad too!!
Old 20-12-2012, 08:20 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

No idea what model exactly it is but he says it has all the toys?
He battled like hell and cut the plastic heater box and managed to get the matrix changed without fully removing the dash,air con or The engine like he was told would be the easiest way.
Mind my pal had 1 a good few years ago,1st time in 4x4 and the front diff was clunking and groaning,common fault too iirc.
I actually fancied it when I seen it yesterday but I have a mondeo st estate which swallows anything I have carried so I don't need anything bigger let alone a 4.0 petrol 4x4!
Old 20-12-2012, 11:16 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 155lee
No idea what model exactly it is but he says it has all the toys?
He battled like hell and cut the plastic heater box and managed to get the matrix changed without fully removing the dash,air con or The engine like he was told would be the easiest way.
Mind my pal had 1 a good few years ago,1st time in 4x4 and the front diff was clunking and groaning,common fault too iirc.
I actually fancied it when I seen it yesterday but I have a mondeo st estate which swallows anything I have carried so I don't need anything bigger let alone a 4.0 petrol 4x4!
Ah thats good news fella, mines actually been fine but laid up a long time now so I'm fearing the worst.
Love those st's, petrol or derv?
Meant to say as well mate a friend of mine got a job at GE through andy, pretty much walked into it in the quality dept and is earning some serious coin, he's pretty chuffed with it all.
You still at camerons?
I put a CV in there but they never even bothered to get back to me, nice chubby bird in the office though so that was something!!!
Would'nt matter now as I'm offshore on the beryl alpha with archer, all been great so far but out for Xmas
Such is life eh?
Have a good one and hope santa brings the bairn something nice