General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Plenum chambers..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Plenum chambers..

Looking at making one for my ZT build, using part of a HO inlet that I was given last night.
I've recently picked up ally welding quite well, guys a work were quite surprised it was my second attempt

Couple of questions though,
I've seen inside a few plenums something that look like the end of a trumpet, there's one per cylinder, are they something to do with drawing the air into the ports? If that makes any sense

Are there any sensors that I'd need to fab into it? We've got a CNC laser at work so I can make a flange to fit the throttle body I was given too.

Any other help would be appreciated
Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say put down th welder and hold fire a bit.

What hp are you trying o achieve? Is it worth our time making one?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 AM
the_frozen_one
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on management you'd need a MAP sensor, maybe an ACT too. You'd need vac take offs too.

Those trumpets are velocity stacks, they're there to smooth airflow into the tracts and increase the tract length to the optimum for the engine. Done right they are worth a couple of % power increase, done wrong and they're an over engineered waste of time and material
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GARETH T
I would say put down th welder and hold fire a bit.

What hp are you trying o achieve? Is it worth our time making one?
Nothing spectactular, it's a proper budget job going in either a KA or a mk2 Fiesta, I've only got a standad plastic inlet that I've been told won't fit in either. Struggling to find a FRS one anywhere and people want crazy money for a HO one, so thought I'd have a go at making my own
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM
black_jack
Black Jack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrOwSoN15
Looking at making one for my ZT build, using part of a HO inlet that I was given last night.
I've recently picked up ally welding quite well, guys a work were quite surprised it was my second attempt

Couple of questions though,
I've seen inside a few plenums something that look like the end of a trumpet, there's one per cylinder, are they something to do with drawing the air into the ports? If that makes any sense

Are there any sensors that I'd need to fab into it? We've got a CNC laser at work so I can make a flange to fit the throttle body I was given too.

Any other help would be appreciated
the thing the shape of a trumpet inside the plenums is a "bellmouth", it is the "theoretically ideal" shape for a reduction in section, it is often found in the front of carbs etc, if you look at pictures of old F1 cars you can often see them, if done right it can increase the CFMs, reduce turbulence etc

Last edited by black_jack; 11-12-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo