General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

sierra 3dr cosworth / standard. advise pls

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
tonysierra4x4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sierra 3dr cosworth / standard. advise pls

anyone on here got any ideas on wether or not a standard 3dr sierra should be returned to factory spec or turned into a cosworth replica. after reading many replica 3dr threads on here and other forums someone always posts "put it back to standard". i am in the position to do this (luckily) as i was going to turn 3 door 1.6 sierra into a replica. since this purchase i now have 2 genuine shells although 1 is for my son. what is everyones opinion on this thought. anyone know what a perfect condition standard 3 door would be worth compared to a cossie rep. most of the parts would be cheaper i'm sure (i already have a few). the only downside i could see if this was done and possibly sold after, i would bet everything on someone buying it and, guess what?, turning it into a cosworth replica. have any of you got any pics of 3 door sierra when they were new. any ideas on how many standard sierra 3 doors left that haven't been modded.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'd cossie rep it,they were a damn ugly motor back in '82 when they were new!!!
Plus as you said,someone will only cossie rep it anyway!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'd also say the ONLY value in a standard 3 dr shell is to re-shell into a cossie.
Ranj off here was selling a proper rough looking 3dr rep for £1000 yet I'd say without the cossie bits it was scrap value,I'm sure someone bought it and was very happy with it as it was a fair price but if you have the base car to start from your over 1/2 way there.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by vaughant
I'd also say the ONLY value in a standard 3 dr shell is to re-shell into a cossie.
Ranj off here was selling a proper rough looking 3dr rep for £1000 yet I'd say without the cossie bits it was scrap value,I'm sure someone bought it and was very happy with it as it was a fair price but if you have the base car to start from your over 1/2 way there.
i understand what you are saying but i have 2 genuine shells already. spending the same money on a rep compared to genuine shell, using the same parts on both, surely the genuine shell is worth about twice as much after.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
tjRS500

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided to take the cossy rep route, also thought about turning it to standard

But I know that when I'm driving it more people will take a second look at a "cossy" other than an "old sierra" no matter how immaculate it is

That made up my mind

Last edited by tjRS500; 03-12-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Cossie rep it.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by tjRS500
I decided to take the cossy rep route, also thought about turning it to standard

But I know that when I'm driving it more people will take a second look at a "cossy" other than an "old sierra" no matter how immaculate it is

That made up my mind
i read in your rebuild thread someone wanted you to put the car standard. that is one of the reasons i asked. nearly every replica build thread has the same suggestion in it. to be honest, i wouldn't consider standard if i only had 1 shell. not realy interested in other motorists looking or not. i just can't think of the last time i saw one on the road.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
tjRS500

Yeah I see your point I would do the same if I had 3 shells and return one to standard

I have never seen one before , other than pics on here
Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
tjRS500

Although if I was to find a low mileage, 1 owner car completely original etc I wouldn't touch a thing, but I doubt that exists
Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM
tonysierra4x4

Yeah I see your point I would do the same if I had 3 shells and return one to standard

I have never seen one before , other than pics on here
that is what i'm thinking. thought more people would have preferred standard though. also looking on the bay, there are a lot of new parts for a fraction of the cost of cossie bits and pieces.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tonysierra4x4
that is what i'm thinking. thought more people would have preferred standard though. also looking on the bay, there are a lot of new parts for a fraction of the cost of cossie bits and pieces.
Or

Standard look,big V8 or the like under the bonnet.
The 1.6 would be dire,perhaps a turbo pinto 2.0l to be a bit different but not boggo power in anyway!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM
tonysierra4x4

Although if I was to find a low mileage, 1 owner car completely original etc I wouldn't touch a thing, but I doubt that exists
don't know about mileage but i am only the 3rd owner of the car since new (1984). whether it exists i don't know but that was my original thought, rebuild it with original parts.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 PM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I would just concentrate on the other two and keep it tucked away, decide what to do when others finished.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Marcyg
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep it standard. Sooner or later, the only Sierras will be Cosworths or cossy reps. No matter how much the cossy nuts will squeal about it, a Cosworth is just a Sierra with go faster bits, so why not have one and show it off for what it should be?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by vaughant
Or

Standard look,big V8 or the like under the bonnet.
The 1.6 would be dire,perhaps a turbo pinto 2.0l to be a bit different but not boggo power in anyway!!!
if i go standard it would mean standard including engine / box etc. no point in it otherwise. the only reason i am considering it is there seems to no standard 3 doors about. when they do come up for sale it is the shell only. i agree on power though, it would seem painfully slow and realy underpowered.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by Marcyg
Keep it standard. Sooner or later, the only Sierras will be Cosworths or cossy reps. No matter how much the cossy nuts will squeal about it, a Cosworth is just a Sierra with go faster bits, so why not have one and show it off for what it should be?
i thought there would be a few more on here like you but as you can see, you're the first. applies especially to bog standard 3 doors, 4 door mk1 seem rare, probably because they can't be cossie rep'd.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

have any of you got any pics of 3 door sierra when they were new.
Not exactly but there are a few good photo's here of one in decent condition.

https://passionford.com/forum/restor...-door-red.html
Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by mk22door
Not exactly but there are a few good photo's here of one in decent condition.

https://passionford.com/forum/restor...-door-red.html
cheers mate. i quite like the look of that standard. no comparison to cossie but still it's ok.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 PM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If you go further in theres ablue one in decent nick too
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by mk22door
If you go further in theres ablue one in decent nick too
yes seen it. looking at bulk head behind dash of mine that was it's original colour. it had been completely resprayed in diamond white before i bought it. still has colour code on slam panel so i'll check that out.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 AM
tonysierra4x4

cossie rep seems most popular then. still not convinced standard spec isn't the way to go.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 PM
tonysierra4x4

been looking on various sites out of curiosity. not that easy to restore to original spec. bumpers, lights etc all available new and reasonably priced. engine components same. interior bits seats dash etc nothing about in good condition. presumably most got thrown away due to cossie repping.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 PM
tjRS500

been looking on various sites out of curiosity. not that easy to restore to original spec. bumpers, lights etc all available new and reasonably priced. engine components same. interior bits seats dash etc nothing about in good condition. presumably most got thrown away due to cossie repping.
Where can you get the bumpers new?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:22 PM
tonysierra4x4

Where can you get the bumpers new?
ebay germany - "ford sierra stobstange". lot of parts on there reasonably priced. my daughter speaks german so easier but you can translate page with google tool bar
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM
tjRS500

I have a B in GCSE German which may finally come to some use haha

Cheers
Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 PM
tonysierra4x4

I have a B in GCSE German which may finally come to some use haha

Cheers
get on there then. prices are better than buying over here after delivery in most cases. surprising what's about if you look. ebay france quite usefull too. i only look at pics and call my daughter.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM
tjRS500

get on there then. prices are better than buying over here after delivery in most cases. surprising what's about if you look. ebay france quite usefull too. i only look at pics and call my daughter.
Cheers for the tip mate will definately have a look
Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM
tonysierra4x4

Cheers for the tip mate will definately have a look
just need to check on postage to uk. not all do. as example just seen a set of front discs and pads for saff cossie, buy it now, for 43.90 euro's not including postage. won't be the best obviously, but try that on ebay uk.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 PM
tonysierra4x4

apparently there are still company's about who re-upholster seats with original cloth pattern. therefore it is possible to get a 3dr into factory spec and show room condition. think i'll look into this then decide. seems most people who want it rep'd think it looks better than standard, which it does without any doubt, but i think they must have been liked when new or wouldn't have been sold.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 PM
boy-racer-1

i kept all the standard parts from my 3 door most in the lost in immaculate condition still except for the running gear which i had to get rid of due to space but did it so it could eventually be returned into a standard car again if i wanted, and will be going back to standard now apart from running gear, i know of 3 in red being kept completely standard apart from the engine and there are alot of people still out there who prefer a standard 3 door over a cosworth and will spend some money on decent examples, up to you though at the end of the day, i never drilled any holes in my wheel arches to fit the cosworth kit mine was all on with sikaflex which i never posted about on here due to people then knowing it can all just be pulled off and flogged on ebay, but you have my vote to keep it standard would be good to see some pics of it aswel
Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM
tonysierra4x4

Originally Posted by boy-racer-1
i kept all the standard parts from my 3 door most in the lost in immaculate condition still except for the running gear which i had to get rid of due to space but did it so it could eventually be returned into a standard car again if i wanted, and will be going back to standard now apart from running gear, i know of 3 in red being kept completely standard apart from the engine and there are alot of people still out there who prefer a standard 3 door over a cosworth and will spend some money on decent examples, up to you though at the end of the day, i never drilled any holes in my wheel arches to fit the cosworth kit mine was all on with sikaflex which i never posted about on here due to people then knowing it can all just be pulled off and flogged on ebay, but you have my vote to keep it standard would be good to see some pics of it aswel
cheers mate. i'm 90% decided on standard. i am lucky i have a choice on shells so will still have a cossie. thought something different would be good. to be honest i could get it done as most parts that i haven't already got i can source. seats etc are rare in perfect condition but i can work round that. i have got nearly all other interior parts and the running gear is easily sourced. i have this vision of 2 cars side by side, same colour but 1 of them standard / 1 cossie.will try to persuade my son to paint his car the same colour so will also have cossie rally car aswell. i think that would be a cool collection. won't get carried away though, realistically it will take a couple of years. buying the shells is the easy part as anyone who has rebuilt / restored any car will know. gonna concentrate on rally car first.
Old 16-12-2012, 04:04 PM
tonysierra4x4

problem solved. chris is having this shell to rally prepare. couldn't realy see it being used if there was a cossie available aswell. didn't see the point in building a cosworth rally car with a genuine shell and a cosworth replica with the standard 3 door. he will have to cut the gearbox tunnel to widen for 4x4 transfer box but that isn't too much of a job. the workshop is nearly complete so a few evenings next week should see it done. both of us have taken a couple of weeks off work so should get a fair bit done on the shells (hopefully).