General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sierra drive donut

Search this Thread

Old 18-11-2012, 08:14 PM
caprizetec170
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra drive donut

As above where do i get one from, one i have is off a sierra 4x4 think,About 50mm thick with center bearing, how many different ones is there???
Old 18-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is the thick 50p shaped donut that is no longer available anywhere except secondhand, and a thinner round one used on later 4x4 Sapphire and EsCos models.

With the early one, the front section of the prop and the output shaft both go into a bush in the centre of the donut. On the later one, the donut doesn't have the bush - instead, the front section of the prop passes through so the output shaft can plug straight in.

You can use the later bush with the later front section of the prop, but you need to change the three studs on the back of the box that hold the donut. The bolts to hold the donut to the prop should ideally be changed for shorter ones too.

Or you can get an adapter made up like mine - it cost £95 + £75 or so for the new donut.

Old 18-11-2012, 10:36 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

The big doughnut was not available from ford as a seperate part it came as part of the whole prop which cost around £300 iirc, I bought one from ford a few years ago but as said is now nla

a few owners are modding their props to adapt to the later saph/escos type, I believe the bits to do this conversion are still available from your local dealer

Luciano
Old 17-05-2015, 11:18 AM
CossieDan.
Virgin

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
There is the thick 50p shaped donut that is no longer available anywhere except secondhand, and a thinner round one used on later 4x4 Sapphire and EsCos models.

With the early one, the front section of the prop and the output shaft both go into a bush in the centre of the donut. On the later one, the donut doesn't have the bush - instead, the front section of the prop passes through so the output shaft can plug straight in.

You can use the later bush with the later front section of the prop, but you need to change the three studs on the back of the box that hold the donut. The bolts to hold the donut to the prop should ideally be changed for shorter ones too.

Or you can get an adapter made up like mine - it cost £95 + £75 or so for the new donut.

Hi

Where did you get this adaptor made up or do you have the dimentions required to make?

Cheers
Old 17-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got a batch of 6 made up but the engineering place kept the settings so I can get more so long as I order in batches of 6 or more.

I think there is still one in the garage, but you would need to order the Cosworth donut from either a Ford dealer or from a motor factor. It's a Febi Bilstein part.
Old 17-05-2015, 01:03 PM
CossieDan.
Virgin

If you have one in the garage and could sort it me out you would be a lifesaver!
Old 18-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have one in the garage but you would need to buy the donut to go with it. The Febi Bilstein part is 05854 and available from Mr Auto at £62.17 +VAT with free delivery. Last time I looked the Ford one was over £100.

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/prop...102_g1427.html