General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

questions on 2wd/4wd diffs.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 AM
H15 FSC
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions on 2wd/4wd diffs.....

morning all

right, my 4x4 saff cossie was converted to 2wd using T5 box an prop, but still uses the 4wd rear diff, which i know is weaker than 2wd,
is it easy to change to a 2wd what work is involved? is it a straight bolt in,
now i read about these supra diffs, is it worth fitting one, or should i just get gripper internals for mine?

if its all a ball ache i might just convert it back to 4wd as the part are available at north yorks rs spares,

but im not really clued up on diffs, so any info would help cheers
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

You will have to either swap out the beam or cut the diff casing of the 2WD diff where it mounts to the standard 4x4 beam to get it to fit, the 2WD diff is wider. not a massively hard job, there's a few threads up about it.
Supra diff conversion is expensive, especially if your stdandard 7" diff isn't broken, converting it to a 2wd diff would be a lot cheaper IMO. Also the rear driveshaft couplings/diff output shafts between the 7-1/2" & 7" diffs are different.

in addition, i also read...somewhere, i think it was the escos forum that there is basically no difference between a 7" diff and a 7-1/2" diff in terms of strength, how true this is I don't know.

As for the Supra diff conversions, I'd speak directly to MK or Turbosystems for this.

Defiinately don't take this as a negative response, I am more of a 'break and uprate' kind of guy, I would definately consider this IF i had a spare bunch of cash or kept smashing diffs.

p.s DON'T convert it back to 4x4 unless you get a proper strong box, the standard ones are shit and you'll regret it when it breaks.

Last edited by rog; 09-11-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM
H15 FSC
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers for the reply,
the only reason i would put it back to 4x4 is for resale value,
i think the 2wd drives better, just didnt want to smash the rear diff up, maybe a plated rear to fit mine would be ok, as the 1 wheel spin is a bit gay, i don't really launch off the line so im hopin it won't get to battered.