General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

BMW 645. Anyone know anything about them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default BMW 645. Anyone know anything about them?

Well i have a vw caddy pickup as the workhorse, and the zetec turbo series 2 as the toy. Its time to buy something 'nice'

What do people know about 645 beemers? Seem a lot of car the money?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most big bm's (and mercs/audi's) of this ilk can be picked up for not much cash compared to new due to depreciation and as they are so heavy on fuel they become silly to run if doing big miles but an absolute steal for weekends as you say.

It's not very technical advice but just remember it was originally a £50k+ car and as such maintenance bills if anything major goes wrong could be horrific, but if you're lucky and buy wisely you'll get a bargain you can most likely run for a year or so for very sensible caseh.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 PM
zetecbeast
Under the car...!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigchez
most big bm's (and mercs/audi's) of this ilk can be picked up for not much cash compared to new due to depreciation and as they are so heavy on fuel they become silly to run if doing big miles but an absolute steal for weekends as you say.

It's not very technical advice but just remember it was originally a £50k+ car and as such maintenance bills if anything major goes wrong could be horrific, but if you're lucky and buy wisely you'll get a bargain you can most likely run for a year or so for very sensible caseh.
Very true.
They are a superb car, but fuel costs are obviously stupid for a daily driver but not for a weekend toy.
If something does go wrong, badly, it can be very expensive.
My advice is avoid auto boxes as they cost a much as the cars worth sometimes on big motors like that.
635i or 640i better bet. The 640i motor is used in the 540i V8 E39s I believe and there are lots of bits available in breakers
Old 09-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way the prices are dropping like lead in custard I'd wait on the M6 a bit personally...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomPengelly
Well i have a vw caddy pickup as the workhorse, and the zetec turbo series 2 as the toy. Its time to buy something 'nice'

What do people know about 645 beemers? Seem a lot of car the money?
Amazingly complicated cars and great value but as said dont expect cars costing up too 100k (M6) to be cheap to run.

Originally Posted by zetecbeast
Very true.
They are a superb car, but fuel costs are obviously stupid for a daily driver but not for a weekend toy.
If something does go wrong, badly, it can be very expensive.
My advice is avoid auto boxes as they cost a much as the cars worth sometimes on big motors like that.
635i or 640i better bet. The 640i motor is used in the 540i V8 E39s I believe and there are lots of bits available in breakers
The v8 in the 6 series isnt the same as the old one in the E39... its double VANOS and Valvetronic for for a start so you wont find lots in scrappys.

The autos are ok and the worst case is a rebuilt which is between 1k-2k and the boxes are much easier to find in other models. You will also struggle to find manual as most where autos.... also consider a maunal might need a clutch

Originally Posted by Ad4m RST
Way the prices are dropping like lead in custard I'd wait on the M6 a bit personally...
Thats what I keep looking at!

Massive running costs but such an amazing car to drive!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 PM
zetecbeast
Under the car...!

Originally Posted by AlexF
Amazingly complicated cars and great value but as said dont expect cars costing up too 100k (M6) to be cheap to run.

The v8 in the 6 series isnt the same as the old one in the E39... its double VANOS and Valvetronic for for a start so you wont find lots in scrappys.

The autos are ok and the worst case is a rebuilt which is between 1k-2k and the boxes are much easier to find in other models. You will also struggle to find manual as most where autos.... also consider a maunal might need a clutch

Good point! I meant the E60 5 series not e39.
N62 engine is shared between 545, 645 and 745

7 series autos are notoriously unreliable according to a mate who works at a bmw dealership, Im guessing 6 series box will be the same as 7 series. (745 -> 645)

2 grand repair for a car worth 5k would be painful (for me anyway)

and yes, theres not many manuals, but they are more reliable gearbox wise.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM
zetecbeast
Under the car...!

Originally Posted by AlexF

Good point! I meant the E60 5 series not e39.
N62 engine is shared between 545, 645 and 745

7 series autos are notoriously unreliable according to a mate who works at a bmw dealership, Im guessing 6 series box will be the same as 7 series. (745 -> 645)

2 grand repair for a car worth 5k would be painful (for me anyway)
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...oblems-t39001/

and yes, theres not many manuals, but they are more reliable gearbox wise.