General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Osram Nightbreaker Plus or Philips Xtreme Vision? Or other bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

HID's without washers and levelling will soon result in MoT failure. previously it wasnt a specific point on the test but the revisions theyve bought in this year make it a specific point that HID's must have working wash and self levelling.

The changes to the MoT are currently advisories but will come into force fully once VOSA has sorted out thier legal shit.

It was supposed to be failable earlier this year but it was delayed.

same with airbag lights being a failure, missing airbag and a few other wildcards that might catch out the modified car driver.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Well, far as I know, my car has self levelling headlights, and I know it definitely has working washer jets. So we'll see if it passes. If it doesn't, it takes less than 5 mins to swap out the HID bulbs to the regular halogen bulbs, so either way, it's not really an issue
Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

from Mot Manual:
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given. Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
JFB Tech
Not entirely sane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
from Mot Manual:
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given. Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
The key word in this is MAY, they don't have to have either and can still have HIDs. If self levelling headlights are fitted, they must work and if self levelling suspension is fitted it must also work. Neither of these systems can be checked by the MOT tester as they require the vehicle to be loaded and unloaded to check them. In the case of Nivomat self levelling suspension as fitted to Sierras and Granadas, the self levelling suspension relies on the compression and expansion of the shock absorbers as the vehicle is moving along to operate the pump for the self levelling system. There's no way a tester can check that, so he would have to give the benefit of the doubt.

Lovely new rule which is completely pointless.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Perfect. So the only thing I have to worry about is getting through the beam scatter then
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM
tsutton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FletchCossie
I work at Euro Car Parts in Croydon and can do discount to anyone on here
What's your best price on Part No.: 481770227 ?

Cheers
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Perfect. So the only thing I have to worry about is getting through the beam scatter then
That was what a hid kit I had a few years ago failed the MOT because of, the beam was all over the shop. They did chuck out a lot of light, but as most of it was pointing into space they were pretty useless lol
Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM
rutts
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look on piaa site i have there bulbs bit pricey but had mine in 4 years no problems
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by RichieST
That was what a hid kit I had a few years ago failed the MOT because of, the beam was all over the shop. They did chuck out a lot of light, but as most of it was pointing into space they were pretty useless lol
Mine are a massive improvement over the stock bulbs - the on the road surface light is easily double, if not more, than before. I have been flashed a few times though, so I'm sure there is some scatter there. I find if I adjust the beam angle with the little dial inside (1>5 half steps), and have it on 1 or 1.5 instead of 0, then I don't get flashed as often. I've never been flashed with it on 2, but it does cut the distance projection down a bit going to 2 and above.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:33 PM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BigChuck
just while were on the hid thing, has anyone tried the bulbs that are designed for reflector lights?

h7r's instead of h7's

I'm getting a set for my van, apparently they help focus the beam. I'm hoping they work as i'd rather have hid's and not blind others, than be stuck with normal bulbs.

just to update this, i got some h7r's for my astra van, and they worked spot on, all you have to do is rotate the bulb to the correct position and it will match the beam pattern of the standard bulb with no light scatter.

so they might be an option for other non projector lights
Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the LED bulbs, are they any good in headlights?