General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Storing wheels and tyres over winter

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Storing wheels and tyres over winter

Will be getting my spare rims shod with the winter tyres I just picked up, at the end of this week, and will be swapping them onto the car in a couple weeks/end of the month, so my decent allows with summer tyres will be stored over winter, till spring.

I've not got a garage or a large enough shed to have the wheels standing upright the whole time, so I'm going to need to stack them - whats the best way to do this? Simply separate them with a bin liner (so as not to get rubber to rubber contact, and also protect the alloy face), or with cardboard (is this wise since it harbours moisture?) Do I need to rotate them in the stack (ie, after a month, move the two bottom alloys to the tom, etc)? Ideally I'd like to store them at full pressure, just so it's easier when it comes to swapping them back onto the car it's driveable (I realise they'll probably need topping up with air, but they should be full enough to drive a mile to the petrol station to do this, right?)

Never stored wheels and tyres off a car before, so just wondering what's good advice. From what I've read it's ok to store a max of 4 wheels/tyres in a stack, but they should be rotated regularly, and ideally bagged separately. But thought I'd ask anyway
Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

I usually stick card board between them and then cover with a dust sheet... Keeps them perfect in the garage mate.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheel tree, can pick them up for £15 on the bay comes with a breathable cover too.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave my winter wheels stacked all summer and my summer wheels all winter, never had any issues. Just keep them covered to minimise exposure. If I am honest I don't put anything between them and never had any problem. But I may put cardboard in between this year just in case
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Thanks for the replies guys - I meant to add they'd be in a shed (actually a bin cupboard) that stays dry, so other than normal ambient air moisture they wouldn't get wet at all, nor get any sunlight. I've never noticed anything get damp in there, and had a couple cardboard boxes full of crap stored in there for a few years, and they still seem solid enough (little out of shape, but not deformed)

I looked at the wheel tree's, but tbh, I've spent enough fucking money on getting the damn wheels and tyres, I don't wanna spend a penny more Also, the one's with wheels on cost more, and it'd be a right pain to try and move them out on a static one, I'd just end up having to take all the wheels off (this bin cupboard is just big enough to house a 17" wheel with tyre on lying down, or three standing vertical side by side) every time I wanted to get in for something else.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 AM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just leave mine bolted to the car lol

Don't understand all thus take off for winter malarkey and put the car in the garage

Just wash the thing once twice three times a week
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by v man

Don't understand all thus take off for winter malarkey and put the car in the garage

Amen
Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

It's all good and well not swapping to winter wheels.. Keeping them clean is easy but when you have to share with a woman and it snow etc... You can bet dollar whey will get kerbed scratched etc... A lot easy to bolt shit winter wheel and forget.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I will be putting my winter wheels on my cossie soon.Will be putting my frs wheels in the attic lol.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by v man

Neither do I - which is why the car isn't getting garaged over winter; it will be used. And the wheels aren't coming off because I don't want them to get dirty - they're coming off because in the long run it's cheaper to have two sets of wheels with two sets of tyres, than it is to keep paying £50/£60 to have the tyres swapped twice a year (wheels were £78 - that's cheaper than swapping the tyres on in Dec and off in March - and if I keep it any further years, it's cheaper still)