General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford Focus 1.8 possible Clutch problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Martsford
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Focus 1.8 possible Clutch problem.

Hi guys
I'm guessing I have a problem with my clutch. Here's why I'm thinking this. I recently returned to my home town of Burnley, from Liverpool last night. After leaving the motorway near home (approx 45mins of motorway driving) I engaged the clutch and knocked the car out of gear, as I applied the brake the rev counter climbed the dial quote alarmingly and had to put the car back into gear the get the revs to reduce.

I've also noticed that when driving and getting to a speed whereby a gear change is needed, which sounds like a rattling metal which is coming from around the engine bay area (unsure if it is related to the above problem or it is possible to be a loose heat shield)

Thank you in advance
Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Rattle is definitely a vibrating heat shield, gear change revs will be of resonant frequency with the rattle.

Engine revving when coasting is due to the VSS picking up a reading of speed whilst the engine is reporting idle state to the ECU. Conflicting info hence it tries to rev. Simple solution to that is not to coast!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Martsford

The car was travelling at no more than 5 mph when the revs jumped and climbed up , 3000-4000-5000 quite alarming when your coming to a stop at a junction.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by Martsford
The car was travelling at no more than 5 mph when the revs jumped and climbed up , 3000-4000-5000 quite alarming when your coming to a stop at a junction.
Ahh right OK didn't mention that thought it was coasting.

Next things to check would be the PCV valve and associated pipework and also I would think the throttle body, TPS and throttle cable in case the throttle got stuck open.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Martsford

Ok thanks, I will have a look firstly at the rattle and then have a look at the throttle
Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Mechrepairs
Virgin

With the engine revving like that it sounds to me you may have an air leak, possibly a damaged or worn out seal or the manifold may have cracked, this meaning air is drawn into the engine before the throttle body allowing it to over rev.

If you start the car and listen in the bay an air leak is normally found by it making a hiss/sucking noise.

Carl
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Martsford

Ok thank you for your comments I would of said I'll give it a run tomorrow but I think the only hissing I'll hear tomorrow will be the locals setting off fireworks. I will wait for the fireworks to die off for a few days and have a good look