General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

clifford alarms yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 16-10-2012, 09:33 PM
t16coupe
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clifford alarms yes or no

Originally Posted by iansoutham
Siren going is a £12 fix and about 10 minutes as the battery pack gives up, stopping the chirps. I have had to replace a few of these in my time.
somehow the siren had a big crack in it
Old 16-10-2012, 09:33 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
I believe the LED does slow down, as that takes more power than the whole system (supposedly).

Only accessories it has is the automatic window feature.

Martin
If you are leaving the car alone for a long period, try something and let me know how you get on...

With the alarm connected, measure the voltage on day 1 and then 7 days later and see how much it has dropped by.

Then, removing the main 5A and 20A fuses (5A is the main unit and the 20A is the indicators feed), do the same again. If there is more than about 0.5 to 1V difference, then the alarm is draining more than it should, if it is roughly the same, then the car or battery is the problem.

As said previously, I have pretty much all of the Clifford catalogue on my car, including pager and much more and mine has sat for just shy of 2 months before and still started on the remote start.
Old 16-10-2012, 09:37 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by t16coupe
somehow the siren had a big crack in it
I bet that water got into it and managed to freeze it and split the plastic, or it sustained impact damage.

Remember as well, the "siren" on most Cliffords are not actually sirens, they are speakers. The actual "sound" comes from the main unit. You can test this by disconnecting the siren from the alarm unit, undoing the screws holding the unit together and putting a 9V battery onto the siren connections. If it goes off, it is a siren, if it just makes a slight "popping" noise, then it is a speaker.

Insignia ones definitely are speakers. I have even uprated the speaker in one of my old cars, was a little bit "too" loud though
Old 16-10-2012, 10:11 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

If you are leaving the car alone for a long period, try something and let me know how you get on...

With the alarm connected, measure the voltage on day 1 and then 7 days later and see how much it has dropped by.

Then, removing the main 5A and 20A fuses (5A is the main unit and the 20A is the indicators feed), do the same again. If there is more than about 0.5 to 1V difference, then the alarm is draining more than it should, if it is roughly the same, then the car or battery is the problem.

As said previously, I have pretty much all of the Clifford catalogue on my car, including pager and much more and mine has sat for just shy of 2 months before and still started on the remote start.
Tbh, I was going to just remove the fuse next for elimination purposes (which is a pain in itself), although that won't be until the weekend, I will let you know as obviously if it stays charged then it is the problem.

I can't see if being anything else, it only has a basic/old stereo in it, which I have measured the checked the installation of before and checked the draw before and found to be fine, and no it's not the classical boot light

Thanks for your comments, I will keep you updated.

Incidentally, in it's armed state it's rated at 200MA in the specs I have read, so clearly it is pretty juicy!

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 16-10-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 17-10-2012, 07:30 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Tbh, I was going to just remove the fuse next for elimination purposes (which is a pain in itself), although that won't be until the weekend, I will let you know as obviously if it stays charged then it is the problem.

I can't see if being anything else, it only has a basic/old stereo in it, which I have measured the checked the installation of before and checked the draw before and found to be fine, and no it's not the classical boot light

Thanks for your comments, I will keep you updated.

Incidentally, in it's armed state it's rated at 200MA in the specs I have read, so clearly it is pretty juicy!

Martin
If you find that the drain relates to the alarm, reconnect the alarm fuses and disconnect the siren from the unit using the 4-pin conector inside the car. If the drain stops, then you need to change the batteries in the siren.
Old 17-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My RS has a clifford G5 or 6 on it, cant remember which one, been spot on
Old 17-10-2012, 07:45 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by Adam.
My RS has a clifford G5 or 6 on it, cant remember which one, been spot on
Clifford G5 . Not too bad, but they are getting worse with the newer ones. For example, a 750 is better IMO than a 770 which replaced it. The newest ones became too complicated and "fussy".
Old 20-10-2012, 05:28 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you find that the drain relates to the alarm, reconnect the alarm fuses and disconnect the siren from the unit using the 4-pin conector inside the car. If the drain stops, then you need to change the batteries in the siren.
Had a brief look at this today, it draws 40 MA in "Valet mode", but when out of it, the draw fluctuates continuously between 20MA and 40MA?

I guess this may be related to the LED activity? (I am aware the pulse rate slows down, after, say 48 hours), but at the moment due to the fluctuation I am putting this down to the drain.

Martin
Old 20-10-2012, 06:15 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Had a brief look at this today, it draws 40 MA in "Valet mode", but when out of it, the draw fluctuates continuously between 20MA and 40MA?

I guess this may be related to the LED activity? (I am aware the pulse rate slows down, after, say 48 hours), but at the moment due to the fluctuation I am putting this down to the drain.

Martin
Those figures sound about right to me
Old 20-10-2012, 08:14 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Those figures sound about right to me
It's actually 46 MA, not good, this means my battery only lasts a month without use!

Martin
Old 20-10-2012, 08:18 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

It's actually 46 MA, not good, this means my battery only lasts a month without use!

Martin
What size is the battery? If it is small, you may just need a bigger one. I know a lot of people have 097s, but I run about a bigger battery anyway.