General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Help mk 3 tdci mondeo lumpy/surging at 2000rpm- why

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 PM
monica
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help mk 3 tdci mondeo lumpy/surging at 2000rpm- why

Please can anyone shed some light as to what could be the problem here !! !! mk 3 tdci hatchback 2002 mondeo 115000 miles reg serviced~ total sicknote love mondeos but this one is the worst by far but im in too deep and skint to consider parting with it, in 18 months its had flywheel and clutch done, all was good then car started to cut out at 80-90mph and engine light on, turned out 4 injectors gone, tried working second hand set / no good, so forked out had origionals refurbed, still bad- one was faulty, retested all 4 working (3 times) still not right !!! grr turns out some plank put an extra washer on one injector so extra testing no refund !!! nice, ok car now running, but not for long !!!! the freeking diesle pump breaks up but finding problem was nightmare garage bill was painfull i even got charged for dropping tank out which wasnt necessary we later found out, never mind the cars a price of a ferrari now !!! so new pump -ouch !!! and service, car starts first time drives lovely, but get to around 55mph just under and around 2000rpm and the car is like surging/ pulling back/lumpy but accelerate and it still pulls , injector rail has been cleaned so has egr replaced 3x tested working but second hand mass air meters i had a smoke test done on car and pipe the mass meter sits on had to be replaced so done that, im a woman on the edge !!!!!!! PLEASE someone that knows these engines give me some idea what could be causing this annoying problem, i am heavily in debt now and whilst the car is reliable and driving well we still have this hiccup and its got no engine warning lights up so what are your suggestions please x
Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by monica
Please can anyone shed some light as to what could be the problem here !! !! mk 3 tdci hatchback 2002 mondeo 115000 miles reg serviced~ total sicknote love mondeos but this one is the worst by far but im in too deep and skint to consider parting with it, in 18 months its had flywheel and clutch done, all was good then car started to cut out at 80-90mph and engine light on, turned out 4 injectors gone, tried working second hand set / no good, so forked out had origionals refurbed, still bad- one was faulty, retested all 4 working (3 times) still not right !!! grr turns out some plank put an extra washer on one injector so extra testing no refund !!! nice, ok car now running, but not for long !!!! the freeking diesle pump breaks up but finding problem was nightmare garage bill was painfull i even got charged for dropping tank out which wasnt necessary we later found out, never mind the cars a price of a ferrari now !!! so new pump -ouch !!! and service, car starts first time drives lovely, but get to around 55mph just under and around 2000rpm and the car is like surging/ pulling back/lumpy but accelerate and it still pulls , injector rail has been cleaned so has egr replaced 3x tested working but second hand mass air meters i had a smoke test done on car and pipe the mass meter sits on had to be replaced so done that, im a woman on the edge !!!!!!! PLEASE someone that knows these engines give me some idea what could be causing this annoying problem, i am heavily in debt now and whilst the car is reliable and driving well we still have this hiccup and its got no engine warning lights up so what are your suggestions please x
...and breathe!...

To be honest it could be one on a hundred things, but without more info, there's no way of helping, without suggesting things at random.

The first thing to do is to have the fault codes read, and then tell us what they say!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

I have a 2.2 tdci st and it felt like it was surging and when you nailed it in 4th,5th and 6th it felt like the power was coming and going,I put 20k boost straight into the turbo and fuel system cleaner and it's pulling fine now with no surging.
Funny thing was I was getting 48mpg after I serviced it then changed the tyres for new uniroyals and I'm getting 43mpg????
Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Cosnada
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I bet you have a split EGR hose......................
Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Cosnada
I bet you have a split EGR hose......................
If she has, I have just the solution!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 PM
monica
Virgin

Thankyou for taking the time to read and reply to my post, much appriciated, and Cosnada if it were a split hose it would have shown up in the smoke test last saturday .also when the car was plugged into machine it showed no faults which im led to believe can happen if warning light hasnt come on then problem /fault isnt severe enough for machine to detect, i have put fuel cleaner through it a few times, its so damn annoying, but i thankyou all for reading my post and giving me your thoughts to what to try, i shall let you know if i do eventually sort it
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

If it's a 2002 car no faults with either the turbo, or EGR will flag up as they're controlled by vacuum, rather than electronics. Later Mondeos had electric turbo actuators, and EGR control.

It could still be EGR related, especially as it's occurring around 2000rpm. Even if the EGR is fine, it 'could' be the EGR solenoid operating incorrectly.

The cheapest, most sensible next step (if there are no fault codes) would be to blank off the EGR valve with one of these to see if it makes a difference.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Such a shame these cars have so many fuelling issues,I drove my mates one up from Wales 3 weeks ago and it's a pleasure on the motorway but I just couldn't live with the thought it could break at anytime and cost ŁŁŁŁ's to put right.
Hope this gets sorted,I remember your previous posts and this has been a shitter to you lately.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM
monica
Virgin

Thanks you guys, yes this car has been a sick note that has cost me far more than car is worth and thanks DanW@FastFord ill def look into trying your sugestion but can blanking off cause furthur probs to other parts of engine ? as thats the last thing i need lol i drove 500 miles this weekend ran great other than around the 1 1/2 - 2000 rev mark soo frustrating !!! i even had to stop and put old air mass meter back on as 3rd second hand one was showing some really erratic fuel comsuption on digital reader ?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:20 PM
monica
Virgin

Originally Posted by vaughant
Such a shame these cars have so many fuelling issues,I drove my mates one up from Wales 3 weeks ago and it's a pleasure on the motorway but I just couldn't live with the thought it could break at anytime and cost ŁŁŁŁ's to put right.
Hope this gets sorted,I remember your previous posts and this has been a shitter to you lately.
Thanks Vaughant i too hope it gets sorted, no chance of me selling and buying anything else as its put me in soo much debt got to keep and drive it till its finished - hopefully a few years but not looking too promising lol , it is a shame i love my mondeos but this model has put me right off ever having another
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I've blanked the egr off of my mk3 diesel mondeo and it definately accelerates more smoothly.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Thanks you guys, yes this car has been a sick note that has cost me far more than car is worth and thanks DanW@FastFord ill def look into trying your sugestion but can blanking off cause furthur probs to other parts of engine ? as thats the last thing i need lol i drove 500 miles this weekend ran great other than around the 1 1/2 - 2000 rev mark soo frustrating !!! i even had to stop and put old air mass meter back on as 3rd second hand one was showing some really erratic fuel comsuption on digital reader ?
Blanking off the EGR won't cause any issues as long as your car is a Euro3. You can tell because it won't have any electrical wires going to the EGR. If it does have an electrical connection it will bring on the EML but that in itself won't cause any issues.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 PM
monica
Virgin

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Blanking off the EGR won't cause any issues as long as your car is a Euro3. You can tell because it won't have any electrical wires going to the EGR. If it does have an electrical connection it will bring on the EML but that in itself won't cause any issues.
Thanks so much Dan@fastford, i will deff be asking garage to look into this, will blanking off cause bad emissions at mot ? and it wont cause other problems long term to engine ?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 PM
monica
Virgin

Originally Posted by RichieST
I've blanked the egr off of my mk3 diesel mondeo and it definately accelerates more smoothly.
Thanks for info Richie
Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 AM
monica
Virgin

popped into garage yesterday and one of the guys pulled a thin rubber hose off nr side at front of engine ? bunged end of hose up with a bolt/screw as a tempory test and said its a quick way to blank off so see if it makes difference, so drove home after work and still surging !!! grrrr does this poss mean its not the egr, egr valve or egr solonoid ?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM
powley31
Virgin

popped into garage yesterday and one of the guys pulled a thin rubber hose off nr side at front of engine ? bunged end of hose up with a bolt/screw as a tempory test and said its a quick way to blank off so see if it makes difference, so drove home after work and still surging !!! grrrr does this poss mean its not the egr, egr valve or egr solonoid ?
have you had the turbo checked?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM
monica
Virgin

Originally Posted by powley31
have you had the turbo checked?
Hi Powley no the turbo hasnt been checked but according to lots of forum reading the turbo apparently doesnt get bad it either works or doesnt ? i have no idea if this is true ??? but one thing we have found is the pipe that leads to one solonoid my mechanic sucked it and it appears faulty so either split in the pipe or perhaps the solonoid ? only confusing thing is when pipe was removed like a tempory blank off, the car drove no different so perhaps that was wishful thinking
Old 12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
powley31
Virgin

Not always the case, if the turbo has intermittent fault, it may play up and surge/judder, I have recently fitted two turbo's one on an Audi and one on a VW both of which had no fault codes but hesitated, worth getting it checked.
Old 13-10-2012, 11:10 PM
monica
Virgin

Originally Posted by powley31
Not always the case, if the turbo has intermittent fault, it may play up and surge/judder, I have recently fitted two turbo's one on an Audi and one on a VW both of which had no fault codes but hesitated, worth getting it checked.
Thankyou very much powley31 i will get it investigated, blooming hope turbo isnt faulty as well !! this car has been a money pitt !
Old 14-10-2012, 09:14 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

It's not really the same as blanking it off. If it's stuck open it will still cause issues even with the hose bunged up. You ideally need to get it blanked. It's cheap and easy.

Turbos rarely fail intermittently on these. It generally is either working, or not working. Especially on the older none electrical ones like you'll have.