General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

one for the paint guys ...

Search this Thread

Old 30-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default one for the paint guys ...

if i had a car that had laquer peeling, what do you think a good price would be to get it sorted ?
also if it was peeling in certain parts would that be a pointer that the rest "might" be an issue later on ?
thanks
Old 30-09-2012, 11:40 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm lacquer peel is a tough one cos generally you should key any surface you try to paint so it sticks.
This is negated when you spray a car cos the paint is still slightly sticky when you spray the lacquer coat on hence it sticks to that.
Then when you put your next lacquer coat on it sticks to the previous lacquer coat.
So in theory you'll need the whole motor resprayed.
BUT
I've seen people base up a car,leave it overnight for whatever reason and go back and lacquer it with no issues,they do it on that "west coast customs" all the time.
My problem would be with a simple lacquer peel only job would be that to fully remove the old lacquer to prevent reactions you'll need to "red scotch" the surface to remove any traces of old lacquer,so again your scratching the paint below which will then IMO need repainting so your back to a full repaint again.
I'd say
A)it depends what the car is worth
B)it depends what you want to pay
C)it depends how long your keeping it for.

As for prices how long is a piece of string?
We'd need to see photos tbh to give even a semi accurate price but again it's not conclusive.
I'm gonna say to spray the full car with no repairs (which is unlikely) look towards a grand for a decent job with it all polished etc afterwards,if you find someone who's prepared to just lacquer random panels then about £60-70 a panel.
Old 30-09-2012, 11:46 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and car resprays,like most car related things generally use the rule of thumb that you "get what you pay for".
In my old business we had people coming down on a regular basis saying they could get it done cheaper,then coming back months later trying to get us to correct the poor work the cheaper guy had done.
Like I said though its all down to what you want the car for,if it's a knock about motor you just want cleaned up to look ok then cheap is fine but something of value needs careful consideration.
Old 30-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks mate, so in reality its not worth just doing panels in reality.
older car and was considering what it might be worth to buy and get sorted out, possibly use for a bit.
Old 30-09-2012, 12:11 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

respray @ £90 per panel £120 for roofs bonnets etc
Old 30-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
Hmmm lacquer peel is a tough one cos generally you should key any surface you try to paint so it sticks.
This is negated when you spray a car cos the paint is still slightly sticky when you spray the lacquer coat on hence it sticks to that.
Then when you put your next lacquer coat on it sticks to the previous lacquer coat.
So in theory you'll need the whole motor resprayed.
BUT
I've seen people base up a car,leave it overnight for whatever reason and go back and lacquer it with no issues,they do it on that "west coast customs" all the time.
My problem would be with a simple lacquer peel only job would be that to fully remove the old lacquer to prevent reactions you'll need to "red scotch" the surface to remove any traces of old lacquer,so again your scratching the paint below which will then IMO need repainting so your back to a full repaint again.
I'd say
A)it depends what the car is worth
B)it depends what you want to pay
C)it depends how long your keeping it for.

As for prices how long is a piece of string?
We'd need to see photos tbh to give even a semi accurate price but again it's not conclusive.
I'm gonna say to spray the full car with no repairs (which is unlikely) look towards a grand for a decent job with it all polished etc afterwards,if you find someone who's prepared to just lacquer random panels then about £60-70 a panel.

Yup get some pic's up, and what motor is it??

Right You could try using a pad called an "Abralon"...basically its a VERY soft pad (4k grits+ are available iirc) used for Laquer flatting when say wanting to cut/polish.

What you do is get a 1k pad, wet it with a spray bottle,and the panel, and using a DA sander(orbital palm is the tool here!!) flat the shine clean off of the Laquer, keep applying plenty of water and focus on the lifted edges of the laquer...
Dry off and see if all the shine has gone(continue till it has..)...

then look at the peeling edges..done right they be gone...then simply clean/prep as would to protect other panels, warm the panel right up and Re-laquer, mist coat, then just off touch dry give a good coat, keep it warm where its done!!

Dont matter if too peely as when hardened propper(week min ideally) you can then simply flat/polish out and up.
And if its just to clean a shitter up then TBH few minor scratches below wont be noticable, if at all, esp if a nice heavy coats on it, the glare from the polish will hide them

Again this all depends on the severity of peeling/blistering but invaryably its a re-paint job.
They probs let the paint dry, then just laquered onto a cold un-prepped coat of base..