General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Thanks Mark Shead...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Driving big power evos makes me want one, they are just so drivable even on big gt35s they drive like a nasp off boost!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Mk4 Lew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a vid up of the anti lag pete
Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by James @ M Developments.
Driving big power evos makes me want one, they are just so drivable even on big gt35s they drive like a nasp off boost!
Yep, for sure mate, only been a passanger in a 550+ car, but you're right, they just tick EVERY box James and off boost around town so drivable too, this power i have is just cracking for a road car imo, just lagless James and pulls nicely too, VERY impressed, torque on those cams was/is a great efoort too..
Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never driven or been in a modded evo, I feel left out !
Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by GARETH T
I've never driven or been in a modded evo, I feel left out !
you need to drag that escoz out of the coccoon you put it in 7 years ago and remember what a 400bhp cossie feels like first numb nutts
Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

pleased to hear you are over the moon with her pete
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 PM
DrewHughes
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice one!
Old 27-10-2012, 11:45 AM
gaz@cpp
Virgin

Originally Posted by Staffi
it wasn't great to say the least.. so i took it to Mark who kindly did leak down tests, boost checks etc and to finally find after stripping the engine down from a noise we both heard to see pistons wrongly machined to different sizes, loose gudgeon (spelling) pins etc..
Well thats nice to read Pete.... If you had or have a problem with anything we have done why not ring me or email me ? also why not post about your problems on the MLR or did you think i wouldn't see it over here ?

You had your car booked in with me and failed to show up.... no phone call or anything & the very next day Mark rings and says the car is down with him. There was no mention of any noise when you booked the car in with me. Why did you not contact me and let me know about the pistons ? I spoke with Mark on the phone and he told me he could hear a noise and that he had stripped down the engine but could not say 100% where the noise was coming from so he was carrying out a full build. As far as the piston machine work goes it was all carried out by Norris designs as you know. I have spoke to ND and he keeps records of all the pistons and sizes. Would it not have made more sense to contact me or ND and resolve any problems you had ? at the end of the day its your hard earned money & if something wasn't right then it should be put right.

Pete you came across as a good guy..... so why it came down to this i don't know.

Last edited by gaz@cpp; 27-10-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 27-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Luca
Lukesville

I just read three pages and no pictures?

DISAPPOINTED!

Sounds a lovely car now though.
Old 27-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by gaz@cpp
Well thats nice to read Pete.... If you had or have a problem with anything we have done why not ring me or email me ? also why not post about your problems on the MLR or did you think i wouldn't see it over here ?

You had your car booked in with me and failed to show up.... no phone call or anything & the very next day Mark rings and says the car is down with him. There was no mention of any noise when you booked the car in with me. Why did you not contact me and let me know about the pistons ? I spoke with Mark on the phone and he told me he could hear a noise and that he had stripped down the engine but could not say 100% where the noise was coming from so he was carrying out a full build. As far as the piston machine work goes it was all carried out by Norris designs as you know. I have spoke to ND and he keeps records of all the pistons and sizes. Would it not have made more sense to contact me or ND and resolve any problems you had ? at the end of the day its your hard earned money & if something wasn't right then it should be put right.

Pete you came across as a good guy..... so why it came down to this i don't know.
Gaz,

I felt let down when you told me3 or 4 times it needed a NEW TURBO because it wouldn't make no more than 1.4bar when you & Andy were mapping, reason why mate is cus you/ Andy mapped it with 3 boost leaks and Mark will back me up on that, if only you'd have done a leak down test you'd have found them, i was going to take your word and shell out for a NEW Turbo, luckily i had a second opinion and the Turbo was fine, the boost leaks were the problem...

Anyway, i'm too old to start arguing etc, the car's all good now so i'm happy.
Old 27-10-2012, 12:29 PM
gaz@cpp
Virgin

Gaz,

I felt let down when you told me3 or 4 times it needed a NEW TURBO because it wouldn't make no more than 1.4bar when you & Andy were mapping, reason why mate is cus you/ Andy mapped it with 3 boost leaks and Mark will back me up on that, if only you'd have done a leak down test you'd have found them, i was going to take your word and shell out for a NEW Turbo, luckily i had a second opinion and the Turbo was fine, the boost leaks were the problem...

Anyway, i'm too old to start arguing etc, the car's all good now so i'm happy.
Did you fit a new turbo in the end ? I also recall that you were having a very cheap used turbo off me on the under standing that if it didn't fix the problem you didn't have to pay.

Last edited by gaz@cpp; 27-10-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 27-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Did you fit a new turbo in the end ?
I did yes, but not for the reason you said..

A new 550-600 Engine with a small Mak blower on wouldn't have been great Gaz..

Turbo's now on a friends 5 and doing fine........
Old 27-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Pete i cant believe you didnt press Gary for it to be rectified rather than spunk more money into it ! Even after getting the car back when i spoke to you about the rod job you were well impressed about how well the car went and how you highly recomended them
Old 27-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

You sounds a happy chappy Uncle Pete.
Old 27-10-2012, 05:35 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tricky one this, l am so picky about who l let touch my cars because it seems a mine field out there, everybody has skeletons in their closets but you have to feel comfortable handing over your money,

Glad you are happy with it Pete but man you spunk some money on cars,

Mike
Old 27-10-2012, 05:41 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you've had fun, i can't understand the wrong piston sizes part - do you mean they were all machined but all with different sizes causing slap?

So you didn't get any reimbursement from ND or CPP?? then an MAD motor at your expense is this a keeper then???
Old 27-10-2012, 06:02 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may be wrong, but I believe a rod job requires the piston to be machined for a bigger gudgeon pin to be fitted to suit the forged rods, nothing to do with piston/bore clearence
Old 27-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
Sounds like you've had fun, i can't understand the wrong piston sizes part - do you mean they were all machined but all with different sizes causing slap?

So you didn't get any reimbursement from ND or CPP?? then an MAD motor at your expense is this a keeper then???

There was nothing wrong with the work gaz had done to it, The issuses I found were 1 piston had a slightly oval and taperd bore by 2thou,
The pins in the pistons moved slight back and forth to the clips that had been machined in to them, and the pins in the rod bearings where slightly loose,
Any of these could have caused the problem but I couldnt realy say 100% which was the cause on the noise which sounded slightly like a small end bush problem.

Mark
Old 27-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by MikeR

Glad you are happy with it Pete but man you spunk some money on cars,

Mike
Mike, bottom line is, i don't smoke or drink, we have no kids or mortgage and i owe nowt on my car ALL paid by my own money so it's all i have, yes i spend TOOOOOOOO much on cars and sell them, BUT i have 11k in this car, i wonder what some have in their 25yr old cossies on here?? i know a few that have 50-70k Mike, i've NOT spent that in my entire car modding life..
Old 27-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Let me just say and clear this up too, i have no issue with Gaz as a person, i was just miffed when i was told it needed a new Turbo on a few occations, only to find out it didn't, if the boost leaks would have been found and corrected the Turbo would have made the boost as it is now on my mates 5.

End it here..
Old 27-10-2012, 07:48 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i wonder what some have in their 25yr old cossies on here?? i know a few that have 50-70k Mike, i've NOT spent that in my entire car modding life..
LIAR remember the last Sapphire & 3dr and now the EVO your about 50% of the above quote, but why not as you've stated you don't piss your money away

Let me just say and clear this up too, i have no issue with Gaz as a person, i was just miffed when i was told it needed a new Turbo on a few occations, only to find out it didn't, if the boost leaks would have been found and corrected the Turbo would have made the boost as it is now on my mates 5.

End it here..
That does take the piss, was this a genuine mistake or Gaz taking the piss
Old 27-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Tarren
Advanced PassionFord User

Sorry to hear of your probs Pete

Sounds like your happy now though!!

Tarren
Old 27-10-2012, 07:55 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Mike, bottom line is, i don't smoke or drink, we have no kids or mortgage and i owe nowt on my car ALL paid by my own money so it's all i have, yes i spend TOOOOOOOO much on cars and sell them, BUT i have 11k in this car, i wonder what some have in their 25yr old cossies on here?? i know a few that have 50-70k Mike, i've NOT spent that in my entire car modding life..
to right aswell you only live once theres no second chance mate, no time for regrets. some of the evo 30 - 130 times ive seen would smash my skyline and theyve all been quite a bit less power ! when i can get my head around the more door of the evo and the engine layout i think i shall be getting one.
is Ł11k the total car cost or your cost in tuneing it so far ?
Old 27-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
to right aswell you only live once theres no second chance mate, no time for regrets. some of the evo 30 - 130 times ive seen would smash my skyline and theyve all been quite a bit less power ! when i can get my head around the more door of the evo and the engine layout i think i shall be getting one.
is Ł11k the total car cost or your cost in tuneing it so far ?

Karl evo's in tuned form are brilliant but never liked my vspec r33 even at 550 bhp it felt slow the 4wd systen isnt great but loved my 450bhp gtst lol and the evo was great again not as easy to drive as everyone say's in the twisty roads if you didnt keep your foot in speak to garyevo off here hes Gary from atp he builds fast evo's
Old 27-10-2012, 08:24 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
Karl evo's in tuned form are brilliant but never liked my vspec r33 even at 550 bhp it felt slow the 4wd systen isnt great but loved my 450bhp gtst lol and the evo was great again not as easy to drive as everyone say's in the twisty roads if you didnt keep your foot in speak to garyevo off here hes Gary from atp he builds fast evo's
i wouldnt do it yet but it may be evo time next after im done with the r33, my r33 certainly doesnt feel slow though, the 4wd system is part of the reason i love them so much, all the benefits of 4wd without the constant parasitic drain of it. its the weight thats the problem mine with me in it is well over 1600 kg, there fattys lol

my missus would be lovin it to she loves evos shes been wanting me to get one for ages, i was looking at some 500 - 600 hp ones before i bought the r33 tbh. i cant never have a scooby can i, im the scooobyslayer fpmsl

hows that focus ?
Old 27-10-2012, 08:27 PM
neilscott83
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

How does it compare to the 3dr? My 8 mr's a baby with 400hp I love it but have always been pretty underwhelmed when at motorway speed + compared to other cars with less power. I know the Evo isn't built for top end runs but in cosworth terms what power would one need to keep with yours now?
P.s saw the old girl at central day beautiful mate
Old 27-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
i wouldnt do it yet but it may be evo time next after im done with the r33, my r33 certainly doesnt feel slow though, the 4wd system is part of the reason i love them so much, all the benefits of 4wd without the constant parasitic drain of it. its the weight thats the problem mine with me in it is well over 1600 kg, there fattys lol

my missus would be lovin it to she loves evos shes been wanting me to get one for ages, i was looking at some 500 - 600 hp ones before i bought the r33 tbh. i cant never have a scooby can i, im the scooobyslayer fpmsl

hows that focus ?
they are fat them skybuses my gtst was 1380 stripped with a ful cage so the evo deffo have that over them

Well the focus well i needed a daily that did it all well as im struggle these day's to stay on my feet for long periods due to arthritus so having a daily thats heavy maintaince was off the cards So the focus st is a reasonably quick car handles well with a few mods and great comfort' so its fun and great on motorways , Ok its not 500+ bhp but it still puts a grin on my face every time i drive it so it fits my ideal car brilliantly
Old 27-10-2012, 08:40 PM
gaz@cpp
Virgin

I can assure you at no point was i taking the "piss" out of Pete

Pete's car came in just the once, having spoke with Mark he only told me it had one leak from the recirc dump valve. Andy carried out the remap of the o/e ECU using open ECU which i don't use personally, but people don't like paying for ECUTEK. Andy didn't pick up on the leaking valve while mapping and i never spotted it & in haste it was put down to the turbo. Had we more time to look into it then i am sure it would have been found. Pete was having to work around a lift off his elderly dad which made keeping the car for longer difficult.

Below is the pm's between me and Pete when he got his car back.

Hi Gaz,

Well i must say the car drives superb now pal, so much more punchier mate, just feels alot more responsive, MASSIVE thanks to you, Olly & Andy for the work you've carried out on it, i'm chufed to bits mate..

Seen you soon pal..

Thanks Pete..

Im Glad your happy with it Pete..... I wasn't really happy myself and i know Andy wasn't I don't like taking money off people & giving them their car back & it not performing like it should/could. I wish when we had the turbo off doing the R/J i had pulled the elbow off and checked the exhaust wheel, i only looked at the compressor side and checked for play. Im 100% sure once your ready it can be performing as i would have liked it to be.

Many thanks for your business pal
Old 27-10-2012, 08:44 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

they are fat them skybuses my gtst was 1380 stripped with a ful cage so the evo deffo have that over them

Well the focus well i needed a daily that did it all well as im struggle these day's to stay on my feet for long periods due to arthritus so having a daily thats heavy maintaince was off the cards So the focus st is a reasonably quick car handles well with a few mods and great comfort' so its fun and great on motorways , Ok its not 500+ bhp but it still puts a grin on my face every time i drive it so it fits my ideal car brilliantly
they are to fat tbh thats abit how i feel about my r32 tbh, its only 450 hp and weighs far too much again lol
its not mega fast but i do really enjoy driveing it, leave it outside anywhere, go where i want when i want and not worry about it all weathers. it can be driven fast easily not think mmm is it gonna kill me today lol
Old 28-10-2012, 03:59 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can assure you at no point was i taking the "piss" out of Pete

Pete's car came in just the once, having spoke with Mark he only told me it had one leak from the recirc dump valve. Andy carried out the remap of the o/e ECU using open ECU which i don't use personally, but people don't like paying for ECUTEK. Andy didn't pick up on the leaking valve while mapping and i never spotted it & in haste it was put down to the turbo. Had we more time to look into it then i am sure it would have been found. Pete was having to work around a lift off his elderly dad which made keeping the car for longer difficult.

Below is the pm's between me and Pete when he got his car back.

Hi Gaz,

Well i must say the car drives superb now pal, so much more punchier mate, just feels alot more responsive, MASSIVE thanks to you, Olly & Andy for the work you've carried out on it, i'm chufed to bits mate..

Seen you soon pal..

Thanks Pete..

Im Glad your happy with it Pete..... I wasn't really happy myself and i know Andy wasn't I don't like taking money off people & giving them their car back & it not performing like it should/could. I wish when we had the turbo off doing the R/J i had pulled the elbow off and checked the exhaust wheel, i only looked at the compressor side and checked for play. Im 100% sure once your ready it can be performing as i would have liked it to be.

Many thanks for your business pal
So going off the information above if i read this right, did Pete actually need a complete engine rebuild? if he'd come back to you regarding the pistons then you would have found the leaks after it was all back together etc? sorry just trying to work out why he needed a complete rebuild in the end
Old 28-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

LIAR remember the last Sapphire & 3dr and now the EVO your about 50% of the above quote, but why not as you've stated you don't piss your money away

Chris, you forget mate, the saff had 20+k of Jims money in it, not mine, i bought Autronic and map, and weber map that was it. Max then bought APs and expensive Comp rims, that car owed my hardly anything, infact Max spent more on it.. Martin also bought the Zoo Beam etc etc,

Gaz WASN'T taking the piss no, he's not like that, like i said, all that needed was a leak test and the 3 leaks would have been found, fixed and job done.

I decided on a FULLY FORGED engine myself as i know like i always do i'd want more power and i'm so glad i've done it, the car's superb now, the ultimate road spec imo and a 550+bhp engine to match, yes i know i'll lose thousands when i ever do sell it, but hey, thus is life..
Old 28-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by neilscott83
How does it compare to the 3dr? My 8 mr's a baby with 400hp I love it but have always been pretty underwhelmed when at motorway speed + compared to other cars with less power. I know the Evo isn't built for top end runs but in cosworth terms what power would one need to keep with yours now?
P.s saw the old girl at central day beautiful mate
It's ALOT faster than the 3dr, remember the 3dr only had 359bhp and 361ft/lb, yes i know there's 4wd tranny losses etc, but i have 420bhp & 427ft/lb so ALOT more, it did a 0-100 on 8.71secs on mates timing gear which i thought was quite imressive, it's not shy let's say. I've not pushed top speed tbh, never bothers me that so can't compare to the 3dr, i'd imagine it'd pull quite hard though.

8s are heavy too Neil don't forget, lardy Evos they are..
Old 28-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Jay,

Have you bought another cossie yet anyway??
Old 28-10-2012, 09:16 AM
neilscott83
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

It's ALOT faster than the 3dr, remember the 3dr only had 359bhp and 361ft/lb, yes i know there's 4wd tranny losses etc, but i have 420bhp & 427ft/lb so ALOT more, it did a 0-100 on 8.71secs on mates timing gear which i thought was quite imressive, it's not shy let's say. I've not pushed top speed tbh, never bothers me that so can't compare to the 3dr, i'd imagine it'd pull quite hard though.

8s are heavy too Neil don't forget, lardy Evos they are..
Your right about the 8's being heavy especially with my fat arse sitting in the chair.
8.71 is very impressive I'd be happy with that!
Old 28-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by neilscott83
Your right about the 8's being heavy especially with my fat arse sitting in the chair.
8.71 is very impressive I'd be happy with that!
May have been abit faster, but i'm not the greatest at launching mate...

The clutch did smell a little after too...

These 80series Turbo's are a great upgrade imo, well over the Stock Mak Turbo anyway, the MR Cams did us proud too with near on 430ft/lb...
Old 28-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Jay,

Have you bought another cossie yet anyway??
no as i cant let the st go and i have no place to tuck a cossie up at the mo so ill wait till april and buy one then and keep the st IF im still feeling stoooopid
Old 28-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

no as i cant let the st go and i have no place to tuck a cossie up at the mo so ill wait till april and buy one then and keep the st IF im still feeling stoooopid
Saff or 3dr Jay??

It'd be a Saff for me if i were to go cossie again tbh mate, a nice powered 2wd one..
Old 28-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

id love a 3dr
Old 28-10-2012, 01:41 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

All evos are pretty heavy.. The 8-9 is over 1400 kg and thats the 9 with aluminium roof and panels. Awesome cars tho.. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and around 3.5 with the 400hp upgrade.

Last edited by R5FORD; 28-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 28-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by R5FORD
All evos are pretty heavy.. The 8-9 is over 1400 kg and thats the 9 with aluminium roof and panels. Awesome cars tho.. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and around 3.5 with the 400hp upgrade.

4/5/6 gsr 1290kg rs 1240 7/8/9 1360kg rs 1320 kg so in the grand scheme of things there quite good and there gearing is great so the acceleration is very linear

Quick Reply: Thanks Mark Shead...