General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can I take my car off my wife?

Search this Thread

Old 26-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mercury grey minter
Wrong ,as stated somewhere above she is entitled to 60/40 split in her favour if she has the kids.50/50 if it,s just the 2 of you .If you own your car ,it,s half hers.
Oh and she is entilted to 50% of your pension aswell.
AND if you win the lottery within 2 years of divorcing her,yep ,she is entitled to half.

Let me assure you she wouldnt get shit . i paid for it . And worst case id sell it to a friend then for £1 give her 40p then buy it back .
Old 26-08-2012, 09:21 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Harris.
Let me assure you she wouldnt get shit . i paid for it . And worst case id sell it to a friend then for £1 give her 40p then buy it back .
i didnt realise it was that easy and all the courts and lawyers could be so easily fooled
Old 26-08-2012, 09:22 PM
mercury grey minter
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to list your car as an asset and the true value will be agreed.Her solicitor can get it valued independanlty so no good selling it for £1.Otherwise you would be able to sell the house for £1 and give her 60p.Every asset must be listed and valued through solicitor.
You can,t win that,s why it,s best to keep the split ammacable.

Think yourself lucky.Hollywood a listers loose millions.Ask tiger woods.
Old 26-08-2012, 09:56 PM
xr2imetalhead
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and my other half wonders why i dont want to tie the knot lol
Old 26-08-2012, 10:05 PM
mercury grey minter
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by xr2imetalhead
and my other half wonders why i dont want to tie the knot lol
If you have lived with her for more than 2 years i think she is entitled to alot being a common law wife.
As said above,you can,t win.It,s a womans world.
Old 26-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Java=Blue
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.

fuck getting married.

....sell it to a mate for £2.50...give her a pound... and smile
Old 26-08-2012, 10:12 PM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

If you have lived with her for more than 2 years i think she is entitled to alot being a common law wife.
only if you have a child together. otherwise tell her to jog on.
Old 26-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

youd have to do that very very early on before you get solicitors and courts involved. And youd have to do it properly for paperwork sake ie your mate has car in his garage etc.

The courts would be unlikely to be able to "reverse" the sale but you can be prosecuted for disposal of assets. Not sure of the exact offence though. Im sure as first time offender you wouldnt go to jail though so it would probably be worth a suspended sentance and record. Lets be honest most employers wouldnt care when you explained it for CRB checks unless your boss/future boss is a femanist

If you do it later on, the courts can order you to pay her 50% of the cars market value even though you sold it for pennys. But at least she cant get her mits on it and if youve got no cash to give her then shes shit out of luck

no such thing as "common law wife" in the UK.

If theres no kids and she has put nothing into the house and assets in a non-marriage relationship then she will get fuck all.

however there have been a few cases where housekeeping and cleaning has been given a "value" and assigned her a small percentage of the house and assets but normally its not much and not too hard to pay her off to fuck off.

However you are right its a "womans world". In reality in law its not, but because of equality and the need to be "seen" to be fair with woman where such things are concerned, the powers at be ensure the woman is looked after. however there is no one to do the same for blokes so you get screwed if you arent clued up. So in law we are equal but reality means the balance is swung in the womans favour.

People think we have it bad here, in america its 10 times worse with most of thier divorce laws heavily based on the family unit and more old fashioned ideals and social norms. eg you will almost always end up paying the ex wife maintenance money just for her, known as alimony IIRC. Plus you will likely loose the house and loose your car, even if there are his and hers cars as it is considered essential to have a car in the US so if she has kids you loose your car so she always has transport if one car is broken or being serviced and thats before we get into child maintanance

Last edited by Psycho Warren; 26-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.