General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fao fast ford dan - or other ford fair peeps

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Fao fast ford dan - or other ford fair peeps

As you may or may not be aware, there was a small shunt at a car event recently which lead to a few posts here on pf

In regards to ford fair, what would happen in similar circumstances? As in a parade lap rather than out on track doing speeds faster than are allowed on public roads to see what your car is capable of?

I'm asking because I want to put my car on track and may have the opportunity and it's all well and good "ME" having insurance that covers me for crashing out on the track, but what about the other silly buggers out there that aren't?

Thank you for providing proper answers rather than "beat him up and take his car" replies that we are so eager to hear and believe to be true and righteous acts of retribution
Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to be honest mate i would look at getting specific insurance for one day if you are that worried.
e.g.
http://www.moris.co.uk/Track-day-ins...-cover-summary
would be worth calling them to technically understand and get in writing any specific issues you might need covering.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 AM
dojj

but that's the same as life insurance, you only get paid out if you fuck up and kill yourself, if someone else fucks up and kills you you are still dead and you have to claim off your own insurance

not really fair if someone hits you when you are all well and sorted and covered and they ain't...
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

I spoke with adrain flux after events that unfolded at the rsoc national day, now these guys are sponsors of ford fair and told me this basic track day cover that caused all the fuss is standard practice with nearly all insurers, however in karls case there is grounds for private prosecution as many legal requirements were not met and rules and regulations were not followed

Last edited by STeve; 06-08-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
escoskmv
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if your that worried mate id give it a miss. im doing track time and hope all will go well but if not and it gets shunted ill build a focos an stick it all in that lol
Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

there should be a higher grade of track day cover for sure, but as I was told what if you shunt someone causing a pile up and death the payout would be massive and the premium they would need to charge to cover this would be into Ł1000s for one event per person
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It's your responsibility to ensure your car is adequately covered while on track, as it is with any track day. There are no parade laps at Ford Fair but regardless of that it's my understanding that a parade lap is no different to a 'full pace' lap in the eyes of most insurers as it's an incident that occurred on a race track.

If in doubt either call your insurance company, take out dedicated track insurance, or stay in the carpark!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think parade laps will suffer the brunt of this for awhile now
as no one will want to put their pride and joy at the risk of others.
I know some do track days and accept the risk however parade laps
are seen as risk free as people are expected to drive in a safe manner.

Such a shame this has happened
Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
It's your responsibility to ensure your car is adequately covered while on track, as it is with any track day. There are no parade laps at Ford Fair but regardless of that it's my understanding that a parade lap is no different to a 'full pace' lap in the eyes of most insurers as it's an incident that occurred on a race track.

If in doubt either call your insurance company, take out dedicated track insurance, or stay in the carpark!
that's what i was thinking to be honest, won't have time to call the insurance company beforehand so will probably give it a miss this year

it's really exciting giving it full beans round the track as the tarmac is so much better than your normal roads, but if i bent the mondeo in any way shape or form i'd be gutted even if i WAS covered

cheers
Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
but that's the same as life insurance, you only get paid out if you fuck up and kill yourself, if someone else fucks up and kills you you are still dead and you have to claim off your own insurance

not really fair if someone hits you when you are all well and sorted and covered and they ain't...
so what your saying is someone else should have insurance to pay you just incase they hit you ..
which in reality on a track based condition would be non existant, can see it now... kobyashi hits vettel, they both stop after the race and exchange insurance details ... red bull put in a claim for Ł1,000,000 for repairs..

i would rather KNOW that if someone did hit my car it could be repaired without me personally having to find the full ammount, and not have to chase the posibility of maybe someone paying out in 5 years after a long court case ...
Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by dojj
that's what i was thinking to be honest, won't have time to call the insurance company beforehand so will probably give it a miss this year

it's really exciting giving it full beans round the track as the tarmac is so much better than your normal roads, but if i bent the mondeo in any way shape or form i'd be gutted even if i WAS covered

cheers
Not got time? It's Monday, the show's not till Sunday! You spent 5 mins writing this. I that time you could have it covered.

Sounds like an excuse for not going on track to me..
Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 PM
dojj

But I'm in India dan so long distance phone calls we out of the question

I have emailed though......

Eagle, the point I was making was that I would like to know that, in the event of a shunt from behind, the guy doing the shunting had adequate insurance in place to cover the costs of the damage, in the same way I would want to be insured should I hit someone else, rather han gav he whole pf mafia camped on my doorstep waiting to lynch me from the nearest lamppost wrote they've been given the full picture
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everytime I have taken any of my cars on track, It has always been in the back of my mind that they may not be coming home with me again. Not down to my own driving, (although i do like to press on quite hard where i can) but if someone hits me. I was always under the impression that it doesnt matter whos fault it is, you going home with bent metal and no payout. Ive just chalked it up as one of the chances you take when you take part.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tank Mike
Everytime I have taken any of my cars on track, It has always been in the back of my mind that they may not be coming home with me again. Not down to my own driving, (although i do like to press on quite hard where i can) but if someone hits me. I was always under the impression that it doesnt matter whos fault it is, you going home with bent metal and no payout. Ive just chalked it up as one of the chances you take when you take part.
Well said if you can't afford to lose your car don't take it on track. Simple
Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 AM
dojj

i can understand binning your daily driver and then being in the shit because you can't get to work in the morning, but there should be some sort of cover to make sure you are not financially fucked over if someone else has trashed your motor and then gives you the finger

and if i'm covered by track insurance then why should i take the hit by having to claim of my own insurance when fuck nuts decides to ram me up the arse? and if i do claim of my own insurance they don't cover personal injury, which makes things even more precarious

signing a waiver beforehand is fine and dandy mind
Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Track days are a risk. If you want to know your car is covered take out insurance. Otherwise don't go on track.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Mark_
I think parade laps will suffer the brunt of this for awhile now
Which is no great loss in my opinion. I've never seen the point in a parade lap other than for the people taking part.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dojj,

Catch the bus to the event if you are that worried mate.

I still cant beleive someone crashed into another car on a parade lap
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
dojj

I'm posh and catching a plane mate

And yes, I do have travel insurance

Just think that this has simply further highlighted the risks and now no one can really complain if they get bumped and don't have cover