General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Do I sell or do I press on?

Search this Thread

Old 23-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I sell or do I press on?

I have a Honda Camino (Stop laughing ) That I bought a while a go now.

After saving up for my CBT and then having to wait another week to afford to buy insurance, I finally got to take her on the road.

All was well until she died at a busy junction (Probably the most embarrasing moment of my life so far )

I discovered that the battery was completely dead so a new one was bought and it worked fine... until I was sat at the red light in town and she died again. Luckily no one saw this.

After finally being able to get her to idle ANOTHER problem arose. At full throttle, there's no power what-so-ever. Effectively, I can limp her around at about 7mph.

I went to go into the garage today and voila... a nice big puddle of Petrol She also spits oil or oil/fuel (It's a 2 stroke) out of the exhaust.

So what do I do? Sell her? I reckon I can get about £200 for her, £250 if I'm lucky, but with what I've got saved added to that then take out £50 for cancelling the insurance, I'd still only have about £300 for a replacement (How much the honda cost). I really don't want to miss the whole summer so really I'd have £400 at the very most to buy a replacement.

So, do I sell her and risk going through the whole thing gain or do I keep her and keep trying to get the bloody thing working?

P.S Car is not an option. There's no way I can afford to insure one at all.

Thanks
Old 23-07-2012, 02:24 PM
CR41G_86
1.8 zetec ka in the makin

oil out the exhaust is normal as 2 strokers (smokers) burn oil sounds like you have cocked the air fuel mixture and now its over fueling hence y at full throttle your just flooding it . it could posibly be the carb thats at fault , it could need strippng and rebuilding and then setting up properly or failing that as stated the carb could be nakered .

but then faulty fuel taps can cause flooding or fuel starvation so thats were i would start
Old 23-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by CR41G_86
oil out the exhaust is normal as 2 strokers (smokers) burn oil sounds like you have cocked the air fuel mixture and now its over fueling hence y at full throttle your just flooding it . it could posibly be the carb thats at fault , it could need strippng and rebuilding and then setting up properly or failing that as stated the carb could be nakered .

but then faulty fuel taps can cause flooding or fuel starvation so thats were i would start
Didn't realise oil out of the exhaust was normal, thanks for that

We've spent hours now trying to sort the mixture out, it's always either too much or too little and we'll get it running fine then when I try to start it the next day it's the same problem.

Cheers for the advice though mate, I'll look at the fuel taps later on
Old 23-07-2012, 04:14 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carb apart then back together can fix some things
when they dont start a little fuel down the plug hole helps (as with most things)
they all smoke and burn oil
check the exhaust for restrictions
basic wiring should be checked
Old 23-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by 1.9 xr2 on 40's
carb apart then back together can fix some things
when they dont start a little fuel down the plug hole helps (as with most things)
they all smoke and burn oil
check the exhaust for restrictions
basic wiring should be checked
Thank you for the inpur, about to go out there now so I'll go through all these
Old 23-07-2012, 04:46 PM
foci
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the float is stuck in your carb. Also your needle might need adjusting if it is cutting out at full revs