General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Do I need longer studs?

Search this Thread

Old 18-07-2012, 07:28 AM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need longer studs?

I have studs fitted to my car. When I bought them, they sold 60mm long studs to replace standard wheel bolts.

I bought the 80mm studs, as my wheels are a bit lower offset (3mm) and I knew I was going to be fitting a spacer. I fitted a 12mm spacer, so I'm not 15mm further out than standard.

I feel like they are plenty long enough, as they have about 15mm thread into the hub, and 20mm thread into the wheel nut, but 'everyone' comments on how short they look.

Pic below

Old 18-07-2012, 08:14 AM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

I get the same comments, as I have deep nuts (oo-er Mrs!) I don't know what the recommended amount of stud should be in the nut....?
Old 18-07-2012, 08:29 AM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by cossiestu
I get the same comments, as I have deep nuts (oo-er Mrs!) I don't know what the recommended amount of stud should be in the nut....?

Pretty sure for structural stuff, your meant to have 2.5 times the thread dia sticking through. But not sure how that translates to wheels
Old 18-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Cosnada
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi mate - I had the same trouble especially on the rears. I decided to buy 67mm ones and be done with it. It aint a show car, mainly for track and thought that I was risking it by only having a few turns on closed nuts. Bought 67mm x M12. These were £18.00 for 20 (5 stud) and I got second hand alloy Ford open nuts for £12.00. I had the lockers in stock.

The rears aint too bad with what sticks out but the fronts are a little too long but I'm not bothered. Just need to make sure I have a deep enough socket to get em on and off ok as a standard brace wont go near em.

Here are some pics:

Old 18-07-2012, 07:49 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i would personally invest in some longer studs because even though they may be safe, is it really something you want to worry about?
Old 18-07-2012, 07:50 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
Pretty sure for structural stuff, your meant to have 2.5 times the thread dia sticking through. But not sure how that translates to wheels
My nuts are a lot deeper than yours, but ill double check to make sure, thanks for your calculation!
Old 18-07-2012, 07:52 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Also, when changing studs, is it a case of knocking out the old ones with a hammer?

Trending Topics

Old 18-07-2012, 07:53 PM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by dojj
i would personally invest in some longer studs because even though they may be safe, is it really something you want to worry about?
That's the thing. I'm not worried at all. I've done plenty miles, including track time.

I just wondered because every second person points it out. If they come loose, I'd notice. And they're at no extra risk of breaking, as the shear forces don't act away out there.

The engineer in me says there's nothing to be worried about. Maybe I should just stop listening to people
Old 18-07-2012, 07:55 PM
vroomtshh

Also, when changing studs, is it a case of knocking out the old ones with a hammer?
I don't have a ford so my studs are just screwed in. To remove them I just use two nuts locked together
Old 18-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Cosnada
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I knocked mine out this way - use a nut so you don't knacker the ends unless they are not to be saved.

I then used a wheel nut and spacer to draw the new stud into the flange. Access can be a pain if doing it on car with clearance behind flanges to get them in place etc.

I have a press here and a good vice but pulling the studs through was best and on car

BTW - don't tap them - one good hard belt should see you ok per stud.