General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI....

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Farmer Giles
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI....

Hi

going to look at a couple of 05 plate Focus 1.6 TDCIs this weekend and wanted to know if there is anything I should be looking out for other than the usual things on a 7 year old car.

I had a 1.8 TDCI Focus before so kind of know the engines but is the 1.6 basically the same just smaller capacity or is a completely different engine since it's the newer shaped Focus ?

Do they have the same DMF and injector / pump issues as the 1.8 motor ?
Any other 'known issues' on the 1.6 ?

according to autotrader tech specs you can get 50+ mpg on a combined cycle, is this realistic in the real world ?

Any input greatly appreciated..

thanks
Old 20-06-2012, 04:53 PM
the_frozen_one
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

completely different. all alloy peugeot engines. look for missed service intervals. very common to have the turbo oil feed pipe coke up on filthy oil, leading to a ruined turbo and potentially worse. injector seals have been know to chuff. very economical engine, same base unit that's now used in the 90+mpg fiesta econetic. I hand build test units everyday and wouldn't trust them as far as i can throw em. 1.8 tdci 'lynx' all the way. bulletproof. simple. cheap to fix if they ever go wrong