General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Rear Caliper Carriers on an ST170

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Caliper Carriers on an ST170

Does anyone know if any other focuses have the same caliper carriers? These ones seem to be a pain in the arse to get. The parts place I use doesn't have them and dealers don't sell them separately. Had a look on eBay but it's much the same story there.

One of mine is fooked, if you hadn't already guessed. The seal on the slider/piston is knackered and it won't slide.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 PM
WolvesWill
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I think the ST170 setup is unique to the RS and ST models, although there is a lot of commonality with the Fiesta ST rear setup as well.

Got any pics of the bit that you need? I'm slightly confused - the calipers itself are readily available and Ford sell the carrier - FINIS code should be 4346382 for the Focus, I know this should be readily available as people buy them when converting the Fiesta ST rear brakes to the larger ST170 setup.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Maybe they do! I was in at my local dealer the other day and the guy looked at his computer and told me there didn't seem to be a carrier listed, just the caliper. He thought that meant the carrier only came with the caliper. I'll need to give him that code; I did find that on google 10 mins ago as well, so you're probably right.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM
WolvesWill

Think they're about £60 a side by the way... :/
Old 04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Haha, could have guessed. The guy told me the calipers were £440 each (rear)! If that's right it's extortion.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:49 PM
WolvesWill

I just replaced two knackered rear calipers on my Fiesta ST - these are the same as on the ST170 that you've had prices for, only the carrier is different.

The 'genuine' Ford parts were indeed silly money, I wasn't quoted quite as much as your £440 each, but the bill still but came to £700 and a bit for a pair, that was on an exchange basis as well.

I opted for the slightly more palatable option of Pagid calipers, saved me a bit over buying genuine Ford parts, but still steep . Had I had time to take the car off the road for a while, rather than needing it for work that week, I would have taken the calipers off and seen if BiggRed could refurbish them or something.

Alas anything ST/RS specific and going for official Ford parts and the garage will have your pants down, and the other parts manufacturers (Pagid, Lucas, ATE or whoever who also sell compatible parts), whilst cheaper than Ford, will still be expensive. These rear calipers are significantly more expensive than the fronts!