General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

buying cars?? PCP vs HP vs??

Search this Thread

Old 26-05-2012, 08:13 PM
neal666
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying cars?? PCP vs HP vs??

as above looking at buying a new/used car and cant get my head round the benifits of PCP when ever i go into dealership the salesmen keep pushing me to it as though its the best thing since sliced bread..

ive only ever bought cars and payed them off as in the conventional way..

but all i keep getting is "why pay it off when you can have a new car every 3 years"? PCP

is this actually true? seems too good?
other example is i was looking at USED 59 plate A5 around 20k in dealer with deposit down looking for payments of about 300 a month..
salesman comes over and says well you could have that BUT i could sell you a NEW 32k A5 on PCP for 350ish a month??

what are peoples experiences??
Old 26-05-2012, 08:28 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once you are in the loop its hard to get out
you buy it and its more money you dont buy it and theres money gone

my opinion is always if you dont have the money buy something you do have the money for but there ya go
my wife drives a 2000 reno scenic but its cash bought
(for the record i could buy the 1st audi cash tho lol not the new un but either way i wouldnt)
Old 26-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

I had the same the other day looking to trade the ST in for a family barge. Was only looking for a 2nd hand mondeo and she is there trying to push me to get a Mondeo Titanuim X Sport AND a Fiesta for the Mrs. She dont even drive yet ffs

Depends if you get free servicing and that and change cars every now and then as thats all you will be doing any way. Buying one on flick, paying it off and trading it in for another car and doing the same.

I was tempted by it but dont like the idea of having to pay out every month for god knows how long. But in reality I have never owned a car for longer than 3 years any way so could happily have a newish high spec car every few years.
Old 26-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Fst
Regular Contributor

I've had a car on not finance I got a loan still paying now 18 month later don't do it all I've heard is more hassle than its worth. I've learnt the hard way and I don't get anything unless the cash is in my pocket.
Old 26-05-2012, 08:57 PM
neal666
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

im not bothered about paying every month, thats not the problem its the choice of paying. the pcp all seems good until you see the 13k bloon payment then its like ????

i see on one hand if i buy one and pay it off in say 4 years yes car is mine BUT chances are i would be then looking again and trade that car in? sooooo in PCP world is it just like paying the monthly £££ however i can change for a new car every 3 years?? or am i missing the point.
Old 26-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

I was told I would get an ex dealers car ie. used but near brand new with all the toys. But if you crash it and it was say £20k when you got it but worth £15k after accident you will get £15k insurance leaving you to pay another 5k.......in comes gap insurance to add to the mix.

I am just going to trade mine in and do the same after I think. They probably push more for it as they get more commission and can then add the gap insurance etc.

I was after a 12k car and the lass was looking at 25k mondeos
Nah, fuck it.