General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Oil filter and its affect on oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 18-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Heitmann
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil filter and its affect on oil pressure?

Hi

I have for some time been driving with a K&N oil filter on my car
and did notice when engine hot (+80 degrees) and idling I would se lower oil pressure than the 26 psi stated in the manual.

So I have changed back to a standard Motorcraft oil filter and my oil pressure is back at where is should be on idle.

It seems that the K&N oil filter made me loose about 5 psi on idle - I did not notice any significant drop at higher rpm (but didn't look for it either).

If I hadn't experienced this myself, I would not beleive it (I have tried 2 different K&N filters and I am running on Silkolene Pro S 10w/50)

But what can cause this kind of drop, just by changing filter?
One theory is that the K&N has better flow, and therefore less restriction=less pressure. but don't know if this is how it works

any view on this ?
Old 18-04-2012, 11:03 PM
cossytel
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heitmann
Hi

I have for some time been driving with a K&N oil filter on my car
and did notice when engine hot (+80 degrees) and idling I would se lower oil pressure than the 26 psi stated in the manual.

So I have changed back to a standard Motorcraft oil filter and my oil pressure is back at where is should be on idle.

It seems that the K&N oil filter made me loose about 5 psi on idle - I did not notice any significant drop at higher rpm (but didn't look for it either).

If I hadn't experienced this myself, I would not beleive it (I have tried 2 different K&N filters and I am running on Silkolene Pro S 10w/50)

But what can cause this kind of drop, just by changing filter?
One theory is that the K&N has better flow, and therefore less restriction=less pressure. but don't know if this is how it works

any view on this ?
as the oil pressure is measured after the filter assuming everything else is the same I would conclude the filter is more restrictive not less