General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Potential can of worms - Spec to choose? Best T38? Or stick with T34?

Search this Thread

Old 27-03-2012 | 05:15 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by NEIL A
Yip out of all the turbos ive had i would go GT3071 if i was to do it again. In the past ive had T34.55 , T34.63 , T38 , Roller T4 and the GT30.
But after seeing the recent results that Cossiedavid and SCS have got out of roller T4's Im just a bit gutted I wasted money with AVA and never went down south for the mapping. As it does look to be a very good turbo with the correct spec and mapping.
I have also followed the progression on those builds and they are producing good figures on that blower.

As for the build in question would a GT3071 not be fine to run on a set of decent injectors but not insane boost, could work out to be a really nice drivable car
Old 27-03-2012 | 06:19 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by markyd3
I have read through this thread and can see no reason why it has been moved into the muppet room!!

I do not know who moved it here but the majority of the rest of the mod team are also in agreement that it was fine in General Car Discussion so i will move it back.

apologies for that folks.

edited - Ive also cleaned up the thread a bit so as it can get back on topic.
Cheers Mark. It's a shame the mod who was here this morning could not have done this. He instead just inflamed the situation by saying he was leaving it.

Cheers mate

Originally Posted by danneth
Could we find out who it was? i think chops due an apology? also for the comments, its ok deleting the comments like nothing happened but if it was the other way round thats not how it works.
Haha it's a nice thought mate but it's never going to happen. You ever heard a copper apologise?

Originally Posted by Chip
Whoop Whoop, a mod that actually fits the profile of what we need on here, thankyou very much for bothering to take the time and objectively perform your role properly!
Exactly

So onwards I go but the debate on turbo choice will never stop

EDIT

PS I also forgot to thank AJ who as usual leads by example by being totally impartial and giving a fuck what I said. Cheers dude *gooble* *slurp*

Last edited by Lambchop; 27-03-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 27-03-2012 | 06:28 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

no licking / sptting is so 80s
Old 27-03-2012 | 08:39 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Yip out of all the turbos ive had i would go GT3071 if i was to do it again. In the past ive had T34.55 , T34.63 , T38 , Roller T4 and the GT30.
But after seeing the recent results that Cossiedavid and SCS have got out of roller T4's Im just a bit gutted I wasted money with AVA and never went down south for the mapping. As it does look to be a very good turbo with the correct spec and mapping.

You're car was never "finished" though was it Neil? the cams Alan decided were shite and needed changed (no one said you'd have to pay for that) it was literally built, drove around for a few months and you broke it before anything ever really was developed on it IIRC? (personally I think you built a monster and didn't like the end result?)

I don't recall you ever coming to speak to Alan if you were unhappy with the engine either?

Not being arsey, just feel it's a bit unfair saying you wasted money when as far as im aware Alan delivered (or would have if given the oppurtunity) what you wanted? correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 28-03-2012 | 01:25 AM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Davie the car was at AVA for almost a year I then got it back ran it in on a basic map , the car then went back for mapping for another 6 weeks if i recall. By the end of this i was getting pissed off with the car being away and Alan was not happy with the results he was getting.

I took the car away and it did drive better on boost but part throttle was still very jerky and idle was also very poor , at that point Alan mentioned it may be the cams that he supplied and speced and said if i buy some new ones the same as Euan ran( which i thought i had in the first place) he would fit them and I could then sell on the removed ones. Now at that point I had been without my car for atleast 10 out of the last 12 months and spent £££ with AVA so for them to ask me to pay more and be without the car again was the last straw. I guess at that point I had also both fell out of love with the car after it being away for so long and lost all confidence in AVA.

As far as building a monster and not being happy with it I do agree that the car had the potential to be very good but never performed as it should given the time and money put into it, I would think my blue car was both faster and a hell of alot better to drive.
I guess I just thought that the fact that 90 percent of the engine parts were there(Dumpeds old block and head), a year almost to build and map an engine that was ment to be similar spec to Euans was more than long enough and the car should have been perfect in that time.

Last edited by NEIL A; 28-03-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 28-03-2012 | 05:19 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

internally gated GT30 Chop (basically a roller bearing t4)

T38= surge city and no power gains in reality over a t34 - especially on your engine
Old 28-03-2012 | 05:39 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happydingy/6875726850/

Last edited by Dingy; 28-03-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 28-03-2012 | 05:44 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happydingy/7012732967/
Old 28-03-2012 | 07:47 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Davie the car was at AVA for almost a year I then got it back ran it in on a basic map , the car then went back for mapping for another 6 weeks if i recall. By the end of this i was getting pissed off with the car being away and Alan was not happy with the results he was getting.

I took the car away and it did drive better on boost but part throttle was still very jerky and idle was also very poor , at that point Alan mentioned it may be the cams that he supplied and speced and said if i buy some new ones the same as Euan ran( which i thought i had in the first place) he would fit them and I could then sell on the removed ones. Now at that point I had been without my car for atleast 10 out of the last 12 months and spent £££ with AVA so for them to ask me to pay more and be without the car again was the last straw. I guess at that point I had also both fell out of love with the car after it being away for so long and lost all confidence in AVA.

As far as building a monster and not being happy with it I do agree that the car had the potential to be very good but never performed as it should given the time and money put into it, I would think my blue car was both faster and a hell of alot better to drive.
I guess I just thought that the fact that 90 percent of the engine parts were there(Dumpeds old block and head), a year almost to build and map an engine that was ment to be similar spec to Euans was more than long enough and the car should have been perfect in that time.
I wasn't aware exactly how long it was there as it was already half done when I started in there. Iirc after it was run in and going for mapping the prop let go and done a bit of damage so the box had to come out and get welded and new downpipe etc? which is maybe why it took a bit longer, along with other work which would have been in.

The cams were the same spec as Euans (as far as we were aware) but were newman cams, Euans were Kent iirc? but they were not the same for whatever reason, which we only found out once it had been on the rollers.

The jerkyness and idle are things that probably just needed to be worked at and im absolutely sure Alan would have done more to improve them, it took several attempts to get Euans idle/cold start/hot start right with the 3" throtle and no ISCV, if you took it away and came back with a list of things on the map you were concerned about or werent happy with they would have been looked at, it's not a case of here's your map, see you later!

Anyway, it's all done and dusted now, and glad you've now got a better car and are happier with it, just thought i'd throw my 2p's worth in.
Old 28-03-2012 | 08:02 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No hard fealings Davie you live and learn , I think the prop incident cost about a week as I had a downpipe on its way the next day.
Last time I decided to go with MSD as they had loads of maps available and the over the phone spec map was already close so a few quick tweaks had the car safe and driving well.

Im actualy really interested in what power my old engine makes in the fiesta once the bigger injectors are fitted and Ahmed has changed the map, as it did have the parts for big power.

Last edited by NEIL A; 28-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 28-03-2012 | 09:57 PM
Ima Racing
Advanced PassionFord User

Has anyone ever got a banana out when with AJ? I would have thought the yellow would get him so hard????? Opps my secret to my life ban being reversed is out
Old 29-03-2012 | 08:21 AM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by J1mbo
Ut/cr same company, now cr though, may have been ut in the early days.

I'll keep them in mind fella

Are you down with the car or don't I get that pleasure lol?
Whilst I'm not sure who started off first between ut and cr. Vince started off at Ut and left around 2006 i think, we used to use vince for our smart car turbos in romsey.
Anyway both ut and cr are seperate companies, ut is now in fordingbridge.
Old 29-03-2012 | 09:16 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by cossieDavedree
Whilst I'm not sure who started off first between ut and cr. Vince started off at Ut and left around 2006 i think, we used to use vince for our smart car turbos in romsey.
Anyway both ut and cr are seperate companies, ut is now in fordingbridge.
thats what i know to lol
Old 29-03-2012 | 09:34 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Universal came first, Stuart started it off, then left, and started up CR Turbos taking some staff and customers with him. What with Turbo Dynamics, CR and UT being in a 10 mile radius of each other there's quite a lot of staff swapping!
Old 29-03-2012 | 11:27 AM
J1mbo
B1mbo

learn something new everyday eh