General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

buying a car on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2005, 09:42 AM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a car on ebay

right need peoples opinion on this.

when buying a car off ebay you enter a contract to buy....but, if the item does not meet the advertised description would you still be under contract to buy that item??

I see lots of sellers trying to sell cars with lots of clauses on it now and IMO its getting a joke!!

If a car is 250-300 miles away i would not go and view it unless i was intent on driving it home and 90% of ebayers wont end auction early.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...530654698&rd=1

read the terms of buisness at the bottom.

bankers drafts- the only real safe way to buy a car for most people!!

If i bought a car on ebay and the description was lacking a number of negatives about the car i would walk away even though i won the auction, yes i am under contract to but that car but if its not as described then whos in the wrong???

Old 26-02-2005, 10:00 AM
caprixpack
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i wouldnt buy a car off ebay with out going to look at is, i bought my capri off ebay, from the pictures it looked mint and the guy selling it said their was not rust and it ran fine, went to look at it and the gearbox was shot as he hadnt put any oil in it and there was a few spots of rust, and the steering rack was leeking. so iff you cant view and drive it i wouldnt buy it.
Old 26-02-2005, 10:06 AM
caprixpack
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i wouldnt bother bidding on that scorpio, just read the guys feed back and the are about 4 or 5 people who have left feed back who said that the item was not as advertiesd
Old 26-02-2005, 10:08 AM
stevedohc16v
PassionFord Regular

I've bought a couple of cars af Ebay and i've turned up fully intending to walk away if they were not as described, whats the worse they can do leave you negative feedback! I know they can report you as a non paying bidder but you can dispute this on the grounds that the item was not as described and Ebay will take no action against you.

Steve
Old 26-02-2005, 10:34 AM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If a car is 100% described I'd buy it on viewing BUT if its not 100% as decribed they can poke their Ebay rules.....
Old 26-02-2005, 10:51 AM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

cheers guys, capri man im not looking at buying that scorpio for myself i was just using that ad as an example of what a lot of them say now.

thing is with auctions you have to describe them 100% because you should be able to buy without inspecting but this is rarley the case!!

I went up to manchester about 6 months ago to buy a runaround vectra estate, the guy agreed a price before i made the trip, he started the car and the street filled with smoke and the engine was knocking, needless to say i wasnt happy especially when he said he hadnt noticed the smoking he just gets in and drives

so get home, he hasnt updated the auction and some poor sod has won the auction

now i always take words like 'mint' with a pinch of salt but when they are this wrong they would still expect you to buy it.

the cheek of some people as well , they want a huge non-refundable deposit hmmm wonder why

ebay has gone way down hill in the years ive been using it

rant over
Old 26-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

As Steve said!! If car is not 100% as described i would just walk away!! and laugh at their own ebay rules!
Old 26-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Fraz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a car is not as described just walk away and use ebays "item not as described" system to avoid negative feedback. People who say if you bid this is a contract are just full of shit as to be a valid contract they have to put the correct information in up front or they are already in breach of the contract.

I would buy a car of ebay, but I wouldnt be affraid to walk away if anything stinks.

Also Bankers Draft is not a safe way, I wouldnt accept one without clearance first before releasing goods, they can be forged just like a normal cheque.
Old 26-02-2005, 11:16 AM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

yes i know they can be forged as well when i receive a bankers draft i just phone the bank up, much safer then carrying cash around with you.
Old 26-02-2005, 12:24 PM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve@SCC
If a car is 100% described I'd buy it on viewing BUT if its not 100% as decribed they can poke their Ebay rules.....
Ditto what Steve has said above!
I have bought half a dozen cossies off Ebay and havn't paid the auction price once as there is always something not mentioned in the description! I have always paid cash also but have made sure to go to the sellers house and checking the chasis nos. etc...1st!
Old 26-02-2005, 01:43 PM
nomad
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

its a bit like buying a car out of autotrader, to read the adverts they are all mint, yet i looked at six "mint" cossies before buying the 7th, people dont know how to realistically describe the nails they are selling,lol
i agree with the above, if its not as described then walk away, plenty more cars out there. wish there was some way of getting expenses back from people who wrongly describe their mint rotboxes cheers nomad