General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fiesta metal - stolen

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2012, 07:41 PM
lyonsb123
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta metal - stolen

The thing you never thought would happen to you, happened to me last night.

Went out this morning and my new Fiesta Metal (less than 3 months old) was gone. No smashed glass, no tyre marks, nothing. The thing that really puzzles me is that an added extra I asked to be put on the car was an anti-tilt alarm, which is supposed to prevent things like this.

Absolutely gutted. Anyone have an idea how these anti-tilt alarms fitted by Fords actually work, and how it could have been bypassed?

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.twoc.co.uk/view_rec.htm?i...rc=495258&pn=0

Car description: Black rear tinted side and back windows, and glossy black wheels (as standard.

Unique identifier would be the Ford logo overlays. The badge on the steering wheel has a black text on white background overlay. The exterior front and rear badges have the opposite (white lettering on black background)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by lyonsb123; 17-03-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 16-03-2012, 07:47 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Possibly could have been completely lifted by the sounds of it mate, same way as parking people or police remove a car, it's not tilted at all that way

Gutted for you though mate, hope the thieving fuckers crash and die
Old 16-03-2012, 08:01 PM
liam20

sorry to hear that mate i,ve seen cars being lifted in town and the trucks aint the quiest of things am guessing you still have both sets of keys?
Old 16-03-2012, 08:11 PM
lyonsb123
Virgin

Yeah, still have both the keys. It's just puzzled me how they have managed to lift the car whilst it being perfectly level. It was also reversed into vertical bays, so the car must have been swiveled around before putting it on the truck.
Old 16-03-2012, 08:27 PM
liam20

must have be stolen to order so if it was me i woud kinda worried that i had been followed so whats insurance said?
Old 16-03-2012, 08:33 PM
lyonsb123
Virgin

Yeah, i'm really worried that someone has likely spotted the car and followed me home... I know there is a ridiculously small chance of getting the car back now, however it is a pretty rare car, and hopefully that works in my favour.

The insurance are going to call me back on Monday, the claim is currently with the 'investigations' department. The Police also told me that I won't be getting a call back for at least 72hrs, and it is unlikely that any investigations will begin until that point.
Old 16-03-2012, 08:34 PM
bishbashbosh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Sorry to hear this, I will ask in work about how the anti tilt alarms work and let you know asap.
Old 16-03-2012, 08:41 PM
lyonsb123
Virgin

Thanks, it's much appreciated
Old 16-03-2012, 09:23 PM
gouch1
Advanced PassionFord User

They work on the angle of the car if when activated that changes the alarms should sound
thing is cut the handbrake atatch a, Aframe to bottom arms and tow away it may not go off until away from place stolen then they can disconect the battery thats if they did not somehow do that first. Its been done before ive even seen a hole cut in a bonnet do snip battery cables to disconect alarms.

Last edited by gouch1; 16-03-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:02 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

or there is someone dodgy at the dealership?

That said, I am sure i heard a few reports of mk7 fiesta being stolen without keys?

Is this the one where you only need the key on you and dont need to use it to start the car??
Old 16-03-2012, 10:05 PM
lyonsb123
Virgin

The thing is, the car was parked right outside my house, and my parents said they had their window open all night. If a truck capable of lifting/towing a car was outside, you would think people would wake up.
I'm just a bit confused by the whole situation. I mean with keyless entry + start, it must be neigh on impossible to drive it away without the key being in the car?
Old 16-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

dont you still get the red/blue master key with them anymore?? if you didnt get it then maybe dodgy dealer used it.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:38 PM
lyonsb123
Virgin

I've got 2 fobs, both identical, but one with the 'key number' attached to it, so that it can be replaced if lost.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:49 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

took with keys

my mate does pdi's i always tell him to copy focus rs keys
im only kidding and he wouldnt know how anyways but doesnt mean somebody else at another dealers isnt and i spose putting in a few run of the mill models would deflect any interest in the other models sold from same dealers

ie if 200 frs's were sold and 20 went missing the rest would be on some sort of alert or lock change and everyone in dealers will have their pants down

on the upside with the age of the car you will get a brand new replacement

i see these keyless systems and think all it needs is that sensor that says its cool to be made to say its cool and off you go in the car like a keypad that needs certain wires connected to open a door (a job i used to do) if you get the right wires anything could happen, or take a key and sensor with you etc etc etc, i spend too much time thinking of these things
Old 17-03-2012, 12:01 AM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

where were the keys when the car was taken, how far were they from the car?

is it possible the car could have been opened from the distance between the two?

I've heard people running cables from front doors to cars with keyless entry to carry the signal between the car/key but couldn't say if its true or works!?
Old 17-03-2012, 12:09 AM
FastFordChris

Strange, a friend of mine had the exact same thing happen, brand new fiesta taken from the house with no signs or break inn etc live in london too the car also had keyless entry

insurance company are paying up the full value of the car so thats good
Old 17-03-2012, 12:17 AM
lyonsb123
Virgin

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
where were the keys when the car was taken, how far were they from the car?

is it possible the car could have been opened from the distance between the two?

I've heard people running cables from front doors to cars with keyless entry to carry the signal between the car/key but couldn't say if its true or works!?
The key was probably about 40-50 metres away. Either way, I believe the system automatically re-locks the car if the key isn't within 1-2 metres of the exterior. I'm not sure about the cable theory - I have heard it in the past, seems a little strange. Either way, the key is always kept in my room (upstairs) when not in use, and a cable to the front of the house probably would not be close enough.

Last edited by lyonsb123; 17-03-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 17-03-2012, 01:04 AM
silver
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A key can be got from the chassis number in the windscreen by people with contacts.
Old 17-03-2012, 02:09 AM
2star
Regular Contributor

Stick some photos of it up or registration number? Which im suprised you havent done? Its a first thing people tend to do ?

Trouble with technology is the more advanced it gets theres always someone somewhere out there capable of by passing it, it was more than likely driven away in the night, if it was lifted you'd probably see marks on the road or wherever from where the support legs of the truck dug into the ground.

Id go with it was driven away and probably on false plates by now, locked away somewhere or on its way out of the country.

Sad world.
Old 17-03-2012, 05:35 AM
lyonsb123
Virgin

OP updated with car description and photo.
Old 17-03-2012, 08:43 AM
cabriolet
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

erm how long does it take to lock does it failsafe if a door is not shut a certain manufacturer [high end ] came up with a similar idea to this when we repaired one we found that it took 20 seconds or more to arm if u were quick u could open a door the system didnt arm handbrake off car gone
Old 17-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Copied keys and drove away i reckon! You'd more then likly hear a truck
Old 17-03-2012, 09:13 AM
lyonsb123
Virgin

Originally Posted by cabriolet
erm how long does it take to lock does it failsafe if a door is not shut a certain manufacturer [high end ] came up with a similar idea to this when we repaired one we found that it took 20 seconds or more to arm if u were quick u could open a door the system didnt arm handbrake off car gone
It locks instantly - there is a small button on the door handle that you press twice and it dead-locks the car. Even if you fail to lock it (unlikely, because the hazards go off twice when locked), it will automatically lock itself once it detects the key outside of the 1m range after 1 minute. I left the car at about 7pm, and it was still there at approx. 1am.
Old 17-03-2012, 09:14 AM
lyonsb123
Virgin

Originally Posted by Fordmad!
Copied keys and drove away i reckon! You'd more then likly hear a truck
I'm really worried about this, surely a dealership would ask for verification documents?!
Old 17-03-2012, 06:24 PM
cabriolet
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonsb123
It locks instantly - there is a small button on the door handle that you press twice and it dead-locks the car. Even if you fail to lock it (unlikely, because the hazards go off twice when locked), it will automatically lock itself once it detects the key outside of the 1m range after 1 minute. I left the car at about 7pm, and it was still there at approx. 1am.
gone in 60 seconds lol
Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
fiesta metal
Virgin

I've just got my metal last friday got a system fitted to springs when lifted the spring opens alarm sounds or if jacked up compressed springs same thing happens hope the b******S die you wouldnt hear the truck lifing your car as it can lift at idling speed hope you get sorted out with new car get a web cam on your window record everything when at home thats what I do
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 118 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordmad!
Copied keys and drove away i reckon!
So they came with the means to code a key to the car and get an in/outcode for the PATS??
Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 PM
project rs

unfortunatly these new cars are easier to borrow than some older cars, for Ł3000 you get a remote device capable of picking up wireless signals your car and fob are emitting and can grab them out of the air and store them for future use all you need to be is within the transmitting area during a cycle and thank you man, same device will open garage door or electric gate to thats why a proper old school lock is advisable too on anything remote these days, smart phones are a favourite for such devices as you can walk past like your on your phone and grab info like scanning new style bank cards in your pocket to get your bank details
Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 PM
CR41G_86
1.8 zetec ka in the makin

its got to have been taken with a key or a decoder of some sort , if the car was right out side your window ,even with a truck on tick over you would still here it there stupidly loud if a truck comes up my street it rattles the hell out my letter box and im set around 20ft back from the road!! if it was impossible to get at the car with out physically moving it and theres no marks or damage , its got to have been driven off

totally gutted for you mate you cant have fuck all in this world without some cunt trying to fuck u over.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 PM
lyonsb123
Virgin

Since the theft I have heard about and the insurance company / security companies I have spoken to, have said they are starting to hear more and more about Fords with keyless entry and power start being stolen.... pretty worrying.

I picked up my new car last Thursday though, exactly the same, except without said keyless entry/start!
Have various things fitted to the car now to (hopefully) prevent another theft, so fingers crossed!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by project rs
unfortunatly these new cars are easier to borrow than some older cars, for Ł3000 you get a remote device capable of picking up wireless signals your car and fob are emitting and can grab them out of the air and store them for future use all you need to be is within the transmitting area during a cycle and thank you man, same device will open garage door or electric gate to thats why a proper old school lock is advisable too on anything remote these days, smart phones are a favourite for such devices as you can walk past like your on your phone and grab info like scanning new style bank cards in your pocket to get your bank details
code grabbing doesnt work on vast majority of car alarm systems. They have used anticode grabbing systems since the late 90s so the code is not the same each time.

To code grab a modern alarm system youd need to know inside out (or have software that does it for you) the algorithms used and specifically how to break it down for a specific car.

if you have those capabilities, either personally or in equipment terms then you just dont need to get that complicated to steal the car.

There are far easier and simpler methods.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
squizxr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If they can nick brand new transits with a de-coder im sure the same can be done on a Fiesta!! A mate of a mate had a new transit recovery truck stolen, it was all on cctv and it took them longer to open the door than it did to start it!! The truck was found and the only thing the owner noticed was something blocking his key from goin in the ignition, there was a metal clip in the way!! He poked a screwdriver in, flicked it back and the truck started
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Very dodgey.The bastards eh.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by M K
hope the thieving fuckers crash and die
Quite. My sentiments exactly.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

one of my clients have had new 5 transits stolen and recovered in the london area with no lock damage what so ever when found.
all the lower dash trims are removed and the dignostic port exposed.

interestingly all use the old tibbe type keys so easy to de-code.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by furry
interestingly all use the old tibbe type keys so easy to de-code.
You just need one of these:

Use the pick to open lock and get key code, then make up a temporary key.

You just then need any number of aftermarket ford immobiliser decode and code packages at a few grand.

Supposedly only available to the motor trade/locksmiths but not difficult to get the equipment if you want to code/decode keys and if youre nicking brand new transits then a couple grand on equipment is a good investment.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Read some reports the other day of lots of bmw's going missing, in short, illegal (in this country) softway is being used, plug into the diagnostics port, programme a blank key, away you go, apparently takes around 45 seconds.

Guess if they can jam the signal when you go to lock it, they have access and then you will hear nothing and the car can be gone in minutes.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I heard with M3's they take their own ECU lol
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So is there really a problem of new fords being stolen then? i heard on another ford forum a few weeks ago of new shape transits being stolen, i expect the vans are worthless, its whatever goodies are in the back of a builders transit that generates the interest.

I had thought car theft didn't happen anymore (apart from keys being taken) as the alarm systems had got so complex.

Seems strange keyless cars are a target, unless like said above, signals to "lock" the car are being blocked somehow and then with a blank key/chip it's being coded to the vehicle in seconds. Once you've fooled the car into thinking you have the key it will disengage the ignition lock let you start it and you're away.

I don't know where the keyless entry module is on the fiesta but on other models it's fairly easy to gain access to the module. Is it unrealistc to expect some clever chap in electronics has made/programmed a "master" module that when plugged in thinks it can see the correct key?

Locking signal from remote jammed somehow, master module fited in place - within minutes depending on model, press start and away you go.

Infact "if" that is how it's done it's probably the easiest way to steal a car EVER!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

less than 300 quid will get you a key programmer from china.
if a thief has one of them and a scanner blocker your car has no chance really

Quick Reply: Fiesta metal - stolen