General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Do i need a new cluch for my ford mondeo ST24 V6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:47 AM
floodyboy
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do i need a new cluch for my ford mondeo ST24 V6?

I have a ford mondeo st24 v6 2.5 litre R registration - 1998 i don't think it's been modified. When bought on 29th feb it was working fine and then a day later i went round a corner and it just stopped without warning you normally get a warning when the cluch is going but i could get gears but couldn't get cluch to bite, there was a little bit of smoke but nothing like a burnt out cluch and no smell like a burnt out cluch there was a little bit of smell but when a cluch burns out it stinks. I can get it started and put it in to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse gears with foot on cluch but, when i take foot off of cluch to drive it won't drive in any gear. But i can sit and rev as normal as though it was not in gear. The car got an mot at the end of september 2011 and there was a new cluch fitted so it shouldn't be gone already as it has been hardly used. Will a whole new cluch need fitted or is it something else? Can someone please help/give advice. I need advice/help as every garage is telling me diffrent things such as new cluch, disks, full hydrolic cluch kit and fly wheel? And is it worth fixing? I know nothing about cars as im a heating and plumbing engineer so can someone give me guenuine honest advice please it would be much appreciated, thanks Ray
Old 03-03-2012, 09:23 AM
tomanycosworths
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

If the clutch pedel feels normal then it could be drive problem, diff, gearbox or the centre has broken in the clutch, worth checking your drive shafts as some times they pop out of the cv joint.
On the plus side i have almost the same car for breaking so if you want any parts let me know and i will do you a good deal.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 AM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

get in contact with the company that changed the clutch in sept, if youve hardly done any miles surley its down to them
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 PM
floodyboy
Virgin

thanks for the advice gettin AA out to have a look as soon as we find out what part we need we will give u a shout
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Who'd you buy it off? They'd be getting it back if it went wrong the next day. Were you driving sensibly or giving it some?

Last edited by Madgit; 03-03-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM
floodyboy
Virgin

cousin didn't even go over 30 mph didnteven do 5 miles my cousin did 5 worked perfect he wasn't thrashing it either
Old 03-03-2012, 04:40 PM
floodyboy
Virgin

is it a big job to pop the drive shafts in to the cv joint or could the AA do it?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Funny I was thinking driveshaft, that's why I asked how it was being driven.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 PM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Sounds like the diff has gone which s very common on them.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 PM
2wd saff cos @ stage 3
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by tomanycosworths
If the clutch pedel feels normal then it could be drive problem, diff, gearbox or the centre has broken in the clutch, worth checking your drive shafts as some times they pop out of the cv joint.
On the plus side i have almost the same car for breaking so if you want any parts let me know and i will do you a good deal.
any pics or details of that on here?