General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21-01-2012, 06:51 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!

at the lights near my home lanes filter into 1, i tried to nip through, daft bint drove into my rear quarter, probably 50% my fault 50% hers!!

its a small scuff on the rear arch Focus RS, will probably need paint. do i go through insurance and pay the excess and get it done, and spend the next few years with a claim on my history, or just get it fixed myself.

her car has a small scuff on the front bumper, she claimed her car was beaten up so will probably avoid the insurance if possible, but ill get her insurance details tomorrow. just have a number name and license at the moment.

will have a closer look at the damage tomorrow, what would you guys do, my excess is approx £275 if i remember correct.

help!
Old 21-01-2012, 07:01 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

50-50 faults tend to fuck both parties

if you are certain then talk to her tomorrow in the cold light of day about what you want to do, if it's a shitter shes driving and you know it's going to be 50-50 then just get it painted

whatever you do though DO tell your insurance company that someone hit you and that the conversation you've had with the third party has resluted in you both agreeing to not bother to claim as even though she's admitted liability as she hit you, the cost to both parties would be more than the hassle it's worth

don't mention any money changing hands as they may then use that against you if you then decide that it does need to go through the insurance

but call her, get her details, make sure you note the time of the call, who you spoke to, everything and then the same when you call the insurance company to explain the situation because you know that 4 years down the line someone is going to try and fuck you for it
Old 21-01-2012, 07:08 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers for the advice dojj....how do insurance companies approach dealing with 50/50s to be honest she did drive into my rear quarter but at night on a busy road its not really fair to get into a blazing argument about blame with a girl thats alone in her car.

ill probably get a call from an angry husband or boyfriend tomorrow so will be wise to call my insurance company first, what a great saturday
Old 21-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

2 lanes to one, I guess you had to merge in where there was a space for you?
But there was not enough room so tried to force your way in and YOU went in to her front bumper damaging your car?

Not nice but no sympathy mate, sorry but if there was not enough room you should of waited and pulled in behind her.
Old 21-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If it goes through the insurance though leave it at that, state only facts, no "i think she did" state "I know for fact".

The rest is up to the insurance companies to fight it out.
Old 21-01-2012, 07:14 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by CarlosST3
But there was not enough room so tried to force your way in and YOU went in to her front bumper damaging your car?

Not nice but no sympathy mate, sorry but if there was not enough room you should of waited and pulled in behind her.
no we were next to each other as we passed through the lights, then the lane on the left (hers) disappears due to parked cars so she pulled into my lane clipping my rear arch with her bumper. she could argue i was going past and moved into her and i would argue she wasnt paying attention, and moved right without checking if there was a car there
Old 21-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gingeRS
no we were next to each other as we passed through the lights, then the lane on the left (hers) disappears due to parked cars so she pulled into my lane clipping my rear arch with her bumper. she could argue i was going past and moved into her and i would argue she wasnt paying attention, and moved right without checking if there was a car there
Ah right, then that is totally different.
Then thats her fault.

you were driving in a clear lane SHE had to move so she could of braked a bit or backed off to move over.

If it goes through insurance and you are found not at fault you will still get shafted next renewal (I am in the same boat after a bint went into the back of me)
Speak to your insurers or if through a broker them for advice.

Trending Topics

Old 21-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nail.....head
Old 21-01-2012, 07:27 PM
2star
Regular Contributor

Surely you had right of way though? If she was in the lane that merged into yours, the surely its her responsibility to mirror signal manouvre? not just carry on regardless and crash into whatever happens to be in the lane shes merging into?

There is a lot of these 2 into 1, 3 into 2 roads by me, there is also one where you come up under and bridge, and there is traffic coming from the left, 2 lanes from under the bridge, 2 from the left, then it all merges into 3 lanes, then down into a narrow 2 lanes before a set of traffic lights, bottle neck style, the amount of people who dont indicate, let alone look or indicate is unreal, been so many accidents there.
Old 21-01-2012, 07:32 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ah right, then that is totally different.
Then thats her fault.

you were driving in a clear lane SHE had to move so she could of braked a bit or backed off to move over.

If it goes through insurance and you are found not at fault you will still get shafted next renewal (I am in the same boat after a bint went into the back of me)
Speak to your insurers or if through a broker them for advice.
i will call her tomorrow, and if she wishes to get her car repaired it will have to go through insurance. i was just wanting to discuss the point of fault, regardless as to whether i have protected no claims i will end up having this claim on my record for ages and it will affect the next years.

even if its 500 quid to get the damage painted, its still 300 excess and whatever i get shafted for in extra premiums over the next few years. same for her i imagine.
Old 21-01-2012, 07:37 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dojj
whatever you do though DO tell your insurance company that someone hit you and that the conversation you've had with the third party has resluted in you both agreeing to not bother to claim as even though she's admitted liability as she hit you, the cost to both parties would be more than the hassle it's worth
Whatever you do ignore Dojj and don't do this! The cunts will put your premium up even though you haven't claimed! Happened to my uncle when someone reversed into his rs1600i, all that broke was a foglight, he wasn't even in the car! Yet they put his premium up. Cuntos!

Also, don't people from the right have right of way in situations like this? Like on roundabouts?

Last edited by zetec-Sam; 21-01-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 21-01-2012, 07:49 PM
ROG.
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

The lady driver was 100% in the wrong as she had to move out of her lane and in doing so did not check it was clear to do so and hit the OPs vehicle

she might have 'thought' she was in the right but that is no excuse for doing what she did

ROG
Senior Observer
Leicester IAM advanced driving group
Old 21-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gingeRS
i will call her tomorrow, and if she wishes to get her car repaired it will have to go through insurance. i was just wanting to discuss the point of fault, regardless as to whether i have protected no claims i will end up having this claim on my record for ages and it will affect the next years.

even if its 500 quid to get the damage painted, its still 300 excess and whatever i get shafted for in extra premiums over the next few years. same for her i imagine.

You also need to take into costs, yeah sort it with out insurance but you run the risk off getting a quote and her saying "fuck that! its only a Ford Focus!"

I went through it with my Mrs (now ex long life friend). She hit me, I was going to do it with out insurance invlovment but then the body shop could not repair my bumper, a new one had to be bought and painted, then the cost of takind a day off work to drop the car off, time off for the days it was in the body shop with no means of getting to work, then a day off to collect the car. So for me after excess paid it cost a couple of hundred but if done with out insurance I would of been out fo pocket buy quite a lot of money!
Then the arguments of "its only a scuff why is it costing this much, fuck off mate".

My Mrs mate of 24 years hit me, it turned very nasty in minutes and had no option but to go through her insurance.
Old 21-01-2012, 07:50 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
Whatever you do ignore Dojj and don't do this! The cunts will put your premium up even though you haven't claimed! Happened to my uncle when someone reversed into his rs1600i, all that broke was a foglight, he wasn't even in the car! Yet they put his premium up. Cuntos!

Also, don't people from the right have right of way in situations like this? Like on roundabouts?
yes i think i had right of way as she pulled into my lane, i was going past her as i was coming up to the lights as they changed to green and she pulled away, i cam past and she obviously wasnted looking and tried to move right and straight into my car

thank fully the arch isnt damaged (from what i can see and feel in the dark, but the paint is scraped,and she got some of the rubber from her tyres on my wheel
Old 21-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

in a financial sense if its just paint, do not go through insurance as you WILL pay for the damage probably 10 times over in increased premiums.

And do not mention a word to the insurers if you dont intend to claim they WILL bump your premium for ANY accident paid out or not.