General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Driving offences

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Driving offences

Stumbled across this today and was surprised (about 2/3rds of the way down) that flashing your lights to get someone to move over could result in a prosectution for Driving Without Reasonable Consideration, as can failing to dip your headlights or splashing a pedestrian. My favourite though is driving with unnecessarily slow driving or braking without due cause.

Wanton & Furious Driving sounds like it could be fun to explain to your insurance as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
Stumbled across this today and was surprised (about 2/3rds of the way down) that flashing your lights to get someone to move over could result in a prosectution for Driving Without Reasonable Consideration, as can failing to dip your headlights or splashing a pedestrian. My favourite though is driving with unnecessarily slow driving or braking without due cause.

Wanton & Furious Driving sounds like it could be fun to explain to your insurance as well.

Are you serious?
Can you not see the issues with the above?
Failing to dip your headlights is a problem on country roads,
you always get the arseholes that will keep the main beam on as they pass you. its blinding and bloody dangerous so that should carry a fine of some sort imo!

Splashing a pedestrian may be fun but its not right, My dad got taken to court and fined for this a few years ago,

Flashing middle lane hogs I can understand you being annoyed about as they are a pain in the arse, especialy for me as a truck driver since I wouldnt be able to use the far outside lane to overtake and undertaking is illegal I would have to slow down and wait until they moved over
Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never meant to say or suggest that any of the things you mentioned weren't a problem, or that I participated in any of them, but I was surprised that the charge could be so serious, especially the flashing headlights one.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

whats the penalty for driving without due consideration? its probably not the same as driving without due care and attention or careless /dangerous driving.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
I never meant to say or suggest that any of the things you mentioned weren't a problem, or that I participated in any of them, but I was surprised that the charge could be so serious, especially the flashing headlights one.
It's one of those 'laws' that will never be enforced unless it's done dangerously - I've been 'flashed' by police cars more than once. You're not supposed to beep your horn between the hours of 11.30pm and 7am, and you're also never allowed to beep your horn when stationary unless it's an emergency!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:30 PM
r.s.2000 ginger
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the laws are bullshit just a way of making more money and fucking you up.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

remember flashing your lights ONLY means that you are alerting other road users to your presence. That is the only use the law recognises.

If your stuck behind a mong, one or two flashes will achieve that aim, even if they are half asleep as thier retina is burned out through the rearview mirror.

If you sit there like so many BMW mongs with your finger on the mainbeam constantly flashing them, as your too impatient to wait 5 seconds, then quite frankly you deserve to get convicted.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
remember flashing your lights ONLY means that you are alerting other road users to your presence. That is the only use the law recognises.

If your stuck behind a mong, one or two flashes will achieve that aim, even if they are half asleep as thier retina is burned out through the rearview mirror.

If you sit there like so many BMW mongs with your finger on the mainbeam constantly flashing them, as your too impatient to wait 5 seconds, then quite frankly you deserve to get convicted.
Flashing your lights actually means nothing at all. The only thing that constitutes "Warning others of your presence" is honking the horn.

And incidentally, doing either or both is sometimes insufficient to bring some dozy people to realise that they're doing 35mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by cozmeister
Flashing your lights actually means nothing at all.

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.