General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Toad Ai606 vs Clifford 650?

Search this Thread

Old 22-11-2011, 01:44 PM
KW-rscos
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toad Ai606 vs Clifford 650?

The old alarm is starting to cause issues with my car and looking to update it a bit, which of the two is better to go for? currently running concept 300 oldskool.
Old 22-11-2011, 02:02 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

they are both good alarms - it all comes down to the installation really
Old 22-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

I've had both and prefer the toad mate...
Old 22-11-2011, 02:05 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

I got the toad on mine.

Also, while you're at it, wire in some secret mods/switches which only you will know about as a bit of extra security
Old 22-11-2011, 02:14 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the clifford comes with black jax as standard though doesnt it? Not sure about toad. Clifford all the way mate, as already said though get someone good to install it
Old 22-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by lukeytheduke
the clifford comes with black jax as standard though doesnt it? Not sure about toad. Clifford all the way mate, as already said though get someone good to install it

It was separate last time I bought a Clifford... Had to pay extra.
Old 22-11-2011, 02:27 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rsmat
It was separate last time I bought a Clifford... Had to pay extra.
Either way its the best feature an alarm can have so well worth paying the extra. And remote start too, great for cossie owners who need to let engine warm up before driving of

I was thinking of a new system though.what prices are they these days?
Old 22-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Patto
Advanced PassionFord User

Doesnt black jax and remote start invalidate insurance if notified to the insurance company? Personally only had toads buy never an issue, proper installation makes a big difference
Old 22-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Keith Michaels PLC
Former Sponsor

I have to agree the Toad systems have always had a good reputation but then so have Clifford!

All down to personal choice with alarms and of course as mentioned the installation is key!
Old 22-11-2011, 03:23 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I've had experience of both and all down to installation. You can't fault the systems themselves but you can fault the method of installation!
Old 22-11-2011, 03:35 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Patto
Doesnt black jax and remote start invalidate insurance if notified to the insurance company? Personally only had toads buy never an issue, proper installation makes a big difference
why would u think that? Remote start- doors are still locked, black jax stops your car being stolen.

Sounds like a definite reason to make your policy invalid perhaps the insurance company above can shed some light on this??
Old 22-11-2011, 03:35 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Also worth noting, dont get the alarm installed where you keep the car, dont give them your address either. I would get it fitted at a mates workshop if you can as then there is no way of the installer knowing where the car is kept.

Sorry, but you hear loads of horror stories of peoples cars suddenly going missing off their drives
Old 22-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Toad for me!

Had Toads on quite a few of my cars and not had trouble with any of them.

Had a Clifford on my Series 2 RST and that gave me no end of shit!

But as said previously, it does largely depend on who fits it.
Old 22-11-2011, 03:53 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Remote start invalidates insurance because it need the immobilizer code to start the engine hence effectively the car has been mobilized (even though this isn't true as doors stay locked and if the ignition isn't switched on it will immobilize itself again even if someone did try to drive it away!)
Old 22-11-2011, 03:58 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Wouldn't ever have another Clifford fitted - wouldn't think twice about a Toad
Old 22-11-2011, 04:05 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what features do toad have over clifford then?or is it just the reliabilty and ease of fitting them??
Old 22-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Toad everytime for me. I really would rather crap in my hands and clap than have a Clifford. I was offered a Concept 650 for free recently and turned it down. They seem far to installation sensitive and most installers want to just through it in the car and bugger off to the next job
Old 22-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Fiesta_Jed
Regular Contributor

What is the "best" alarm/immobiliser on the market then ?

Who is good for installation ?
Old 22-11-2011, 04:24 PM
milesy23rst
PUG 306 GTI-6

Toad everytime as every clifford i have had has caused me problems
Old 22-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Rsmat
300+

Hence my opinion above on both... I would always choose the toad over the clifford..
Old 22-11-2011, 05:31 PM
daviddunlop83

I had a clifford when i was younger for the novelty TBH, had it in my first focus and worked 100% then same system in my ST170 and it was a fu>k really.

It remote started fine but wouldnt turn off with the remote unless you where right beside the window and blackjax was never wired up properly cause they came off with some sh1te excuse.

As said it really is down to the fitting.
Old 22-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Patto

why would u think that? Remote start- doors are still locked, black jax stops your car being stolen.

Sounds like a definite reason to make your policy invalid perhaps the insurance company above can shed some light on this??
Reason given above by panik as for black jax just what ideas somewhere insurance companies don't like it
Old 22-11-2011, 06:17 PM
robp-tt
ZETEC TURBO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do toad offer something like the black jax setup? i have always had toad alarms, quite a few of my mates have had cliffords and they have all had issues with the alarms
Old 22-11-2011, 06:31 PM
ASHCOSSIE

any one know how to change the settings for the toad, i have a problem with the 20 sec light delay when arming
Old 22-11-2011, 06:34 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

with blak jax u dont need a tracker as its imposible for them to drive of, but i suppose they can still lift or toe it
Old 22-11-2011, 07:46 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pani_k
Remote start invalidates insurance because it need the immobilizer code to start the engine hence effectively the car has been mobilized (even though this isn't true as doors stay locked and if the ignition isn't switched on it will immobilize itself again even if someone did try to drive it away!)
The remote start feature on the Clifford (or any other alarm system) will invalidate any Thatcham Cat 1 or Cat 2 security rating as there must be no user adjustable or override facility on a Cat 1 or Cat 2 system. This will include permanent valet modes (hence the one-time only feature on Cat 1 systems), remote start (as this overrides the built-in immobilisation circuits) and some other items.
Old 22-11-2011, 07:49 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

with blak jax u dont need a tracker as its imposible for them to drive of, but i suppose they can still lift or toe it
With BlackJax, opening the door with the ignition turned on arms the system and pressing the brake pedal activates it. If you want to bypass it, then do not allow the brake light circuit to activate. Or, if you have the remote, you could try activating a remote valet operation. This overrides the BlackJax facility completely.

There are many ways to bypass it and most good car thieves will see a Clifford LED and know the ways round it.
Old 22-11-2011, 09:23 PM
KW-rscos

Ok some good feedack, people seem to be leaning towards the toad system, what would be a good price for fitting, including the removal of the old system? and on that are GAP security any good? seen them in Fast Ford mag but not seen any ratings.
Old 23-11-2011, 08:54 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by iansoutham
With BlackJax, opening the door with the ignition turned on arms the system and pressing the brake pedal activates it. If you want to bypass it, then do not allow the brake light circuit to activate. Or, if you have the remote, you could try activating a remote valet operation. This overrides the BlackJax facility completely.

There are many ways to bypass it and most good car thieves will see a Clifford LED and know the ways round it.
But surely its better to have it than not have it. I mean most car thiefs wont know how to sort it out will they
Old 23-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Phil2002

Remote start will NOT take away any thatcham cat1 rating. The clifford avante guard 5.5 came with remote start in the box and was cat 1 classified by thatcham. The Avante gaurd was basically a concept 650mk2 with all sensors and remote start included.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:57 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

toad all the time

alos with the toad you can pay extra and gave the text alert so siren goes off, or car starts it will txt you and also text you the postcode of the area the car is in and you can text it back to do certan stuff

wouldnt touch clifford, blackjax is ok, until car stops and they come and beat you up for the code
Old 23-11-2011, 12:00 PM
daviddunlop83

On my focus, the key was actually glued to the plastic ring that accepts the code from it and shoved behind the dash.

The fitter said he wouldnt remove the chip from the key cause he would prob break it.

Tho when i got a spare key it didnt need coded
Old 23-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Phil2002

Originally Posted by xr4x4rs
toad all the time

alos with the toad you can pay extra and gave the text alert so siren goes off, or car starts it will txt you and also text you the postcode of the area the car is in and you can text it back to do certan stuff

wouldnt touch clifford, blackjax is ok, until car stops and they come and beat you up for the code
clifford call gaurd will do all the toad text alert will do and more!

By the time the car stops with black jaxs it will give you enough time to move to different location or get a rather bat for if they do come back.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:01 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

I,ve had a couple of Cliffords over the years and they were faultless and very realiable .
Old 23-11-2011, 12:04 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

blackjax kicks in as soon as the door has opened and shut and you can only get so far

so if your in the middle of no where ansd they have dragged you out your not gona get a bat or anything while they walk back and ask you for the code, but that depends if they really want the car or not

stillwouldnt touch clifford anyhow they have gone bust so many times in the states and the problesms ive had with them over years never again, ive had my ai606 for over 7 years now moved from car to car and its still going strong, one clifford lasted me a week before the immobisler circuit went dead and i had to wait for a new control box to turn up
Old 23-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Phil2002

Black jaxs first trigger is door open it will then wait to see brake pedle press and and increse in rpm or speed(depending on istallation) once all three have been activated 30 sec later it will chirp and start to flash brake lights if the code is then not put in the car will only cut out once the car has come to a stop.

so in therory the car could get a good few miles away before it cut out.
Old 23-11-2011, 03:08 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by xr4x4rs
toad all the time

run boy run
Old 23-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I used to hate Cliffords as they always seemed to be giving me grief on customers cars, it wasn't until I fitted a couple on my own cars that I began to understand all the features and how to set them up...Now I wouldn't use anything else! I'm guessing that all the replys saying their Cliffords caused them trouble was because of poor install or user error.
Old 23-11-2011, 03:16 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Phil2002
Black jaxs first trigger is door open it will then wait to see brake pedle press and and increse in rpm or speed(depending on istallation) once all three have been activated 30 sec later it will chirp and start to flash brake lights if the code is then not put in the car will only cut out once the car has come to a stop.

so in therory the car could get a good few miles away before it cut out.
Phil were u the chap from medway i spoke to about installing an alarm and new siren? If so i phoned up your old work and it was about 150quid just to fit siren and he said he wouldnt just add features of my original concept 650 as he didnt install it so its missions to trace back how it was installed to start with.

I told him its already got the controll boxes fitted for things like remote start so just needs reprograming but he wasnt up for it

Sorry phil one more question i though my siren was dead as it doesnt chirp or make noise when i lock unlock it but i set a sensor of and the alarm went of! Not very loud but still went of. Are there 2 diff sirens mate? Cheers luke
Old 23-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Phil were u the chap from medway i spoke to about installing an alarm and new siren? If so i phoned up your old work and it was about 150quid just to fit siren and he said he wouldnt just add features of my original concept 650 as he didnt install it so its missions to trace back how it was installed to start with.

I told him its already got the controll boxes fitted for things like remote start so just needs reprograming but he wasnt up for it

Sorry phil one more question i though my siren was dead as it doesnt chirp or make noise when i lock unlock it but i set a sensor of and the alarm went of! Not very loud but still went of. Are there 2 diff sirens mate? Cheers luke
You can alter the config on your laptop if you get the lead and software.

Quick Reply: Toad Ai606 vs Clifford 650?