General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MOT question

Search this Thread

Old 16-11-2011, 10:46 AM
RS2000CUSTOM
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip

Nope, not correct at all.
Beat ya - lol
Old 16-11-2011, 10:52 AM
tee-rex
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Chip
MOT test is definately valid for the full 12 months even if you fail another one in the mean time.

Bear in mind that any car that would fail an MOT is potentially an offence to be driving though (tyre example given is a good one) so if your car has failed an MOT you need to get it fixed before its legal to drive it on the road again, but that was also true before you failed the MOT, you just didnt know it was. But ignorance is no defence of course, so it actually makes no differences if its failed an MOT or not, its still legal if it doesnt have faults, and illegal if it does have faults.
The thing that would go against you if your car did fail and you did not repair it and were stopped sometime later and one or more of the faults were picked up would be, that you have incriminated yourself for using a vehicle in an unroadworthy condition as the test history would reveal the date and mileage of when the faults were first brought to your attension by means of a failure.

Last edited by tee-rex; 16-11-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 16-11-2011, 10:53 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Then certainly the law/rules are different over here.

If your car fails an MOT, that's it. Any previous test is overruled and invalid whether you may hold a piece of paper to say otherwise.
It has happened to many people caught at these roadside checks, and many of them do quite deserve that and prosecution.
Some perhaps not so.

And given the MOT cert clearly states it is only valid for the day of the test, the notion that it lasts a year regardless of anything else just makes no sense whatsoever.

That's like you taking out an insurance policy then cancelling it, then holding the piece of paper and claiming you are still insured.

Nope, you clearly voided it.
Old 16-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Then certainly the law/rules are different over here.
Must be, although I thought you still had the same DVLA as us if you were in the north, and hence the same rules?

If your car fails an MOT, that's it. Any previous test is overruled and invalid whether you may hold a piece of paper to say otherwise.
It has happened to many people caught at these roadside checks, and many of them do quite deserve that and prosecution.
Some perhaps not so.
A roadside check can deem your can not upto MOT standards, and hence not allowed on the road with those faults, but the MOT itself is still valid, you can still tax the car on it etc, you just cant drive it cause its faulty.
But that was true before the test, you just didnt know it yet!

And given the MOT cert clearly states it is only valid for the day of the test, the notion that it lasts a year regardless of anything else just makes no sense whatsoever.

That's like you taking out an insurance policy then cancelling it, then holding the piece of paper and claiming you are still insured.

Nope, you clearly voided it.
Over here the legal requirement MOT wise is that you must have a current one, and they are classed as current till 12 months after the start date, irrelevant of what happens after that.
But an MOT is also clearly stated as NOT a gaurentee of roadworthyness, so having one although it means you cant be prosecuted for having no MOT, doesnt mean you cant be prosecuted for your car not being roadworthy.
Old 16-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tee-rex
The thing that would go against you if your car did fail and you did not repair it and were stopped sometime later and one or more of the faults were picked up would be, that you have incriminated yourself for using a vehicle in an unroadworthy condition as the test history would reveal the date and mileage of when the faults were first brought to your attension by means of a failure.
Ignorance is no defence.
If you have bold tyres for example, you are getting fined for them wether you noticed them or not, as its your responsibility to ensure your car is roadworthy.
Wether it has failed an MOT or not, wont change the penalty you get if you are caught using a non road worthy car on the road.
Old 16-11-2011, 11:03 AM
RS2000CUSTOM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

.................... makes no sense whatsoever.
Since when has a Government legislated and organised body made any sense ?

I can MOT a car with severely darkened tinted front side windows and give it 100% clean bill of health (according to MOT standards) and then issue an MOT pass certificate

Car then drives out of MOT station and driver immediately gets pulled over and fined for having a "faulty" car under the Construction and Use Regulations !
Old 16-11-2011, 11:18 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by RS2000CUSTOM

I can MOT a car with severely darkened tinted front side windows and give it 100% clean bill of health (according to MOT standards) and then issue an MOT pass certificate

Car then drives out of MOT station and driver immediately gets pulled over and fined for having a "faulty" car under the Construction and Use Regulations !
Over here it wouldnt pass. If there are tints fitted they test with their light meter thingy and if you're lucky they might let you remove them there and then. But most just fail it.

MOT on the mainland is definitely more lenient in most areas than over here.
Old 16-11-2011, 11:45 AM
RS2000CUSTOM

Steve

Are your MOT stations government run or are they like here private owned garages ?
Old 16-11-2011, 11:59 AM
tee-rex

Come across the window tints alot in my part of the world very close to raf mildenhall/lakenheath american bases vosa's line on this was refuse to test as i am not qualified to acess the level of tint and i cannot use a light meter, send them to a goods vehicle testing station where vosa staff will acess the level of tint. Been told its a no no if the tint looks more than 5% above a factory tint and is obviously non std. (another can of worms)

Last edited by tee-rex; 16-11-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 16-11-2011, 12:10 PM
RS2000CUSTOM

Originally Posted by tee-rex

Come across the window tints alot in my part of the world very close to raf mildenhall/lakenheath american bases vosa's line on this was refuse to test as i am not qualified to acess the level of tint and i cannot use a light meter, send them to a goods vehicle testing station where vosa staff will acess the level of tint. Been told its a no no if the tint looks more than 5% and is obviously non std. (another can of worms)
Sounds to me like you are being mentored or guided by a "rogue" VOSA agent - lol

Here is the official statement regarding Tints -

Additional mirrors and tinting films

Additional mirrors and tinting films are not subject to Reason for Rejection

Also tinting is measured using a clear glass (0 % tint) as having 100% ability to pass light through it

Pre April 1st 1985 no more than a 30% tint (70% ability to pass light) is allowed

Post April 1st 1985 vehicles no more than a 25% (75% ability to pass light) is allowed

Please Note :- Most modern vehicles are sold with a 20 - 25 % tint already so additional tints on Front Side Windows will almost certainly take the vehicle over the 25% restriction limit

Last edited by RS2000CUSTOM; 16-11-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 16-11-2011, 12:26 PM
RS2000CUSTOM

VOSA and Window Tints - http://www.window-tint.co.uk/img/VOS...nting-Laws.pdf

Why are tinted windows not included in the MOT test?
Is this a nationwide campaign?

Originally Posted by VOSA

Excessively tinted glass is seen as a serious issue but one which
currently affects only a small number of the 24 million vehicles
tested annually. To include this item in the MOT test would require
all 18,000 garages to incur expenditure on special test equipment
and the time taken to carry out an MOT would increase. The MOT
fee would have to be raised to cover the extra time and investment.
This extra cost would affect all motorists - all for a small number of
vehicles. With the current levels of offending, roadside enforcement
is a better route as it targets the offenders while minimising the
cost and inconvenience to compliant road users.

Last edited by RS2000CUSTOM; 16-11-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 16-11-2011, 01:54 PM
tee-rex

The point i was trying to make but not very well is, the nt has to acess prior to registering a vehicle for test whether it meets basic criteria of roadworthyness and road traffic law as part of the test may req you to drive the vehicle on a public highway say for a decelerometer brake test. vosa cannot exempt you from traffic law and will not ask you to break the law in the process of the mot. so if you have a car with black limo tints and you are confident they are illegal you should refuse to test, if the owner disputes the level of tint for road use then vosa will acess it at any gvts.

Last edited by tee-rex; 16-11-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: more spelling
Old 16-11-2011, 02:59 PM
spinus
Part of the Furniture

friend of mine got pulled into a vosa checkpoint in his van
the initial reason was inop brakelight
after giving him a full check they found balljoint play and inop sidelight.
they told him if he fixed the brakelight they would let him take his vehicle.
i took the brakelight buld down to him and fixed the brakelight
vosa gave him 10 days to get a new mot even though the old one had five months to run.
i asked them is it a rectification order so do we repair the faults he said no .
he said produce the new mot with the form we gave you to the police station and they,ll notify us .
they told us the old mot is now cancelled and its an absolute affence if this vehicle is used on the road without a new mot.
Old 16-11-2011, 03:17 PM
RS2000CUSTOM

Sounds like you were given a PG9 VOR form - lucky they didn't insist you have to be trailered away for repair
Old 16-11-2011, 03:27 PM
spinus
Part of the Furniture

Sounds like you were given a PG9 VOR form - lucky they didn't insist you have to be trailered away for repair
your right if we didnt fix the brakelight it wasnt going nowhere
i drive artics so i know about pg9 s
but my point is this further up this page some one said if the car is burned its still got a mot etc etc
but my mates mot was cancelled because of a balljoint and a sidelight bulb.
if you go for a mot and they find a lets say a worn balljoint it fails the mot but the existing one still stands.
vosa pull you and find a worn balljoint they cancel your current mot and make you get another one
confusing
Old 16-11-2011, 04:12 PM
RS2000CUSTOM

Originally Posted by spinus

but my point is this further up this page some one said if the car is burned its still got a mot etc etc

if you go for a mot and they find a lets say a worn balljoint it fails the mot but the existing one still stands.
Yep that was me

OK maybe this will make clearer

I am insured 3rd party only

I suffer a fuel leak

Car then is burnt out

I make no insurance claim but sell the remains on EBay

The MOT is still valid !

I am not saying car is roadworthy I am saying it has an MOT

Crazy but true
Old 16-11-2011, 04:42 PM
djdarren123
Overrun with Vans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this argument, and I was sure the previous MOT was still valid. But every MOT tester I asked said it wasn't valid.

I'm not an MOT tester, but I do have a failure sheet (dated September 2011) and on the rear right at the top it clearly says -

" About this document
1. This document tells you that your vehicle has not been shown to meet the legal minimum requirements for the reason(s) detailed in section A. If you intend to use your vehicle on the road you should have it retested without delay and have it retested before the existing test validity expires."

As far as I'm concerned that means sort your car out immediately and drive it until the test runs out.
Old 16-11-2011, 05:37 PM
RS2000CUSTOM

Originally Posted by djdarren123

I've had this argument, and I was sure the previous MOT was still valid. But every MOT tester I asked said it wasn't valid.
They are simply using scare tactics to try and get you to let them repair you car for you - for a fee of course !

If your old MOT has ANY days/months left on it then your car STILL has an MOT

What your latest MOT fail has shown you though is currently your vehicle is not in a fit state to be driven due to the "fail" items found at the time this latest test was carried out.

So if you drive away from the MOT centre you WILL have a valid MOT but you also will be knowingly be driving a vehicle that is unfit to be on the public highway.

Last edited by RS2000CUSTOM; 16-11-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 16-11-2011, 06:20 PM
tee-rex

Originally Posted by spinus
your right if we didnt fix the brakelight it wasnt going nowhere
i drive artics so i know about pg9 s
vosa pull you and find a worn balljoint they cancel your current mot and make you get another one
confusing
Yes it is confusing only because you are trying to apply common sence to the bizzare double standards, your story highlights this perfectly because common sense would say you either do it one way or the other.
Old 16-11-2011, 06:58 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Steve

Are your MOT stations government run or are they like here private owned garages ?
All government run here.

The only thing ours is moire lenient on...and I think it's because of public sector workers, health and safety and liability issues are emissions tests.

Twice they have introduced the full MOT emissions testing, and twice it has been rescinded after a plethora of engine failures and threats of legal action. And strangely, actual testers complaining about noise and smoke etc lol

So for most petrol cars it's just the basic 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HCC. Although I believe that is changing next year ( again )
I dont think they do any diesel tests on any age of car at present. Although an obviously smokey car would still fail.

This is the manual ours work to, more is to be added next year.

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/Freedom%20of...%20Manual.html
Old 16-11-2011, 10:06 PM
cossydave
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Well the answer does not seem to be found on any of the government information about the MOT test, so I emailed VOSA with this question and this is their response:

"An MOT certificate is valid until its expiry date. However if your vehicle fails a test before this date and you do not rectify the defects then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle which is an offence."

So to put this into context if your car fails the MOT due to illegal tyres then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle, you were driving unroadworthy vehicle before the MOT, and you will be driving an unroadworthy vehicle until you get a new tyre. Therefore at anytime if caught you would be subject to a £2500 fine and 3 points per illegal tyre.

However once you get a new tyre your car is roadworthy and the old MOT is still valid until its expiry date, thus you can then drive your car again and get it retested to your timescale, with out worrying about driving without an MOT.

This is a very good reason to book your Mot early and give yourself plenty of time to book a retest if needed.
Old 16-11-2011, 10:15 PM
RS2000CUSTOM

So if you drive away from the MOT centre you WILL have a valid MOT but you also will be knowingly be driving a vehicle that is unfit to be on the public highway.
Originally Posted by cossydave

"An MOT certificate is valid until its expiry date. However if your vehicle fails a test before this date and you do not rectify the defects then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle which is an offence."
Woohoo I get the ceeegaaaar
Old 16-11-2011, 10:34 PM
waynev1979
BANNED
BANNED

just imagine how bad its gonna get when we go 2 year testing !!
Old 17-11-2011, 02:10 AM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

2 year testing?
Old 17-11-2011, 06:41 AM
RS2000CUSTOM

Originally Posted by waynev1979

just imagine how bad its gonna get when we go 2 year testing !!
Also talk of (but not yet decided on) :-

pre 1960 vehicles NEVER needing an MOT again !

CCTV installed to "live" monitor the MOT ramp and area

ALL dashboard warning lamps will be a "fail" item

No cat fitted = Fail (not currently a fail)

Light unit after market "tinting" products - Fail

After Market HiD lights fitted but without an auto wash function - Fail

HiD fitted to a vehicle that a manufacturer has not had type approval for HiD on that model = Fail

Insecure Battery - Fail (never knew why this fail was dropped)

SRS light or component - Fail

No working speedo - Fail

etc etc etc

All above and more are under consultation and a whole range of "New Fails" are being introduced in 2012

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nges-2012.html

Last edited by RS2000CUSTOM; 17-11-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 17-11-2011, 08:35 AM
djdarren123
Overrun with Vans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cossydave
Well the answer does not seem to be found on any of the government information about the MOT test, so I emailed VOSA with this question and this is their response:

So to put this into context if your car fails the MOT due to illegal tyres then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle, you were driving unroadworthy vehicle before the MOT, and you will be driving an unroadworthy vehicle until you get a new tyre. Therefore at anytime if caught you would be subject to a £2500 fine and 3 points per illegal tyre
Quite right, but just because it fails an mot doesn't mean it's unroadworthy.

For example stuff like: cracked numberplate, slightly high emissions, a rear seat belt not in good condition (only unsafe if seat is used), side lamp bulb (not used in dipped beam), slight blow in exhaust... these wouldn't make it unroadworthy

I also had a car once that failed because it overheated on the ramp. Tester couldn't continue the test, abandoned it and issued a failure sheet.

Hose was fixed and the car passed the next day.
Old 17-11-2011, 08:48 AM
RS2000CUSTOM

Originally Posted by djdarren123

Quite right, but just because it fails an mot doesn't mean it's unroadworthy.
Also just because it HAS passed an MOT doesnt mean to say is IS roadworthy as you can be pulled over (by VOSA or Police) (yes VOSA do have PTS Power to Stop) and be fined or given points under the Construction and Use Regs as these regs can state car IS unroadworthy

Good innit !!
Old 17-11-2011, 02:43 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

HiD fitted to a vehicle that a manufacturer has not had type approval for HiD on that model = Fail

No working speedo - Fail

etc etc etc

All above and more are under consultation and a whole range of "New Fails" are being introduced in 2012

A few of the above are already in our test with the rest coming into force next year.

One amazing one that doesnt seem to be on the mainland MOT already is the speedo ! Over here it must also be able to display both mph and kph or else it's a fail.
And after reading the above, I'm amazed a secure battery isnt on the list currently !
Old 17-11-2011, 03:29 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Blimey!

Good I suppose, even though personally I would prefer it wasn't

Good

See CCTV

Good

Don't really care

Good. Fucking hate some of the aftermarket stuff.

Makes sense to be tested.

Surprised it's not already

No working speedo - Fail
How will you test? Sounds expensive/excuse to rag around the block

etc etc etc

Old 17-11-2011, 03:50 PM
spinus
Part of the Furniture

Yep that was me

OK maybe this will make clearer

I am insured 3rd party only

I suffer a fuel leak

Car then is burnt out

I make no insurance claim but sell the remains on EBay

The MOT is still valid !

I am not saying car is roadworthy I am saying it has an MOT

Crazy but true
its ok bud i wasn,t having a dig, i know what your saying is right .
i was just highlighting the double standards when vosa get involved.
it should be the same whether pre mot fail or vosa roadside check fail