General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

London Emission Zone

Search this Thread

Old 15-11-2011, 01:54 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i was looking for this one as i realised my goof

the figures used to be different though before this round, but at least you can be happy that old red ken didn't ramp up the bills again, apparently there is a £300,000,000 bill coming from europe if the air quality in london isn't up to scratch
Old 15-11-2011, 04:11 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Northants Ford Fan
Some smiley faced transits are now lez zone compliant, as quite a few people with the early mk6's complained that there vans where compliant as the they had the same engine as the compliant 2002 on vans, so with the help of ford all mk6 vans are now compliants that were registered after 2000, dvla now think all transits after 2000 are compliant even though some were late registered smiley faced ones so if you have a late reg mk5 check the lez zone site to check your van before doing anything.
Also fitting a petrol engine makes them compliant even though they arent as economical as the diesel, but saying that with the difference in price between petrol and diesel it doesnt make that much of a difference.
Hopefully that all made sense.

oh and on a seperate note mk6 transits wont be compliant after 2015 if i remember reading it right, so people who have bought a mk6 to upgrade from a mk5 will have to do the same in a few years time.
Well mine was registered in 2001 so does that mean its complient? When i put the registration in on their website it says its not...

Should i just ring them? lol
Old 15-11-2011, 05:23 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
i was looking for this one as i realised my goof

the figures used to be different though before this round, but at least you can be happy that old red ken didn't ramp up the bills again, apparently there is a £300,000,000 bill coming from europe if the air quality in london isn't up to scratch
Cant they claim the money back on a bail out ?

What are they doing with all the dirty stinking taxi's and buses ? Or is everyone ditching diesel in favour of petrol ?
Old 15-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyCabrio
Well mine was registered in 2001 so does that mean its complient? When i put the registration in on their website it says its not...

Should i just ring them? lol
The site will tell you if compliant or not and if it says no - then as far as DVLA etc are concerned it isn't. This emissions is a load of crap. I know tens of hauliers who are coming to me saying their rig is perfectly sound to use and they don't want to get rid of it but they either have to get a Euro 5 or get an Eminox, and I'm having to work with them to get it sorted.
Old 15-11-2011, 05:32 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Time to get some false plates then lol
Old 15-11-2011, 05:34 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Cant they claim the money back on a bail out ?

What are they doing with all the dirty stinking taxi's and buses ? Or is everyone ditching diesel in favour of petrol ?
taxi's need to get them fitted as well

and most buses in london are new or nearly new so will pass the emissions standards for the future, most routes are put out to tender every few years by the councils running them and one of the things they will look for are new buses in the tender bid so thats covered in 99% of the caes
Old 15-11-2011, 05:52 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by BillyCabrio
Time to get some false plates then lol
Yes, but as stated. Use a plate from a vehicle owned by a department that deserves to get the hassle.

ie police, speed camera vans, wheel clampers etc.

DO NOT use a false plate of a normal motorist, as it could cause them no end of grief that you wouldnt wish onto any normal person.

Obviously previous categories dont fall into normal.
Old 15-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Northants Ford Fan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

billy it might be worth you looking at some of the threads on this on the transitforum.org
Old 15-11-2011, 08:39 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Already have done, been on there for ages now as a member.

No real help other than 'put a petrol engine in it'.
Old 15-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Northants Ford Fan

Think AndyG on there di a post on who the tfl think the late mk5s are compliant.
Old 15-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Northants Ford Fan

delete please mods
Old 15-11-2011, 09:59 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

delete please mods
why would you ask for it to be deleted its a discussion lol
Old 15-11-2011, 10:30 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajamesc
I take it from that statment you dont really know what the goverment are trying to reduce in the exhaust gases with commercial diesels then! A modern diesel vehicle under load produces poisonous nox particles which they dont wont people breathing in this is what they target with euro 5 and 6! And beleave me the systems they have do make a difference! if you was in for instance (only data i have as that is what i work on) a fully loaded 42 ton daf cf 85 at max boost pulling hard it will make around 1600 particals per million of nox the current euro 5 set up will take that down to around 510 to 570 particals per million so it works!
I'll take from your statement you don't actually know what 1) I'm talking about, or 2) the madness behind the bullshit LEZ. I'm not talking about a fully loaded lorry, I'm talking about a Land Rover, which isn't a commercial vehicle! The fucking stuipid thing is, they've 'decided' Defenders are part of it, yet a Discovery, which is about the same weight, same year and exactly the same engine isn't! It's fucking total random madness. Also, the LEZ expansion shite was signed for by Ken Livingstone just before the election he lost, to fuck up his predecessor.
Old 15-11-2011, 10:40 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
I'll take from your statement you don't actually know what 1) I'm talking about, or 2) the madness behind the bullshit LEZ. I'm not talking about a fully loaded lorry, I'm talking about a Land Rover, which isn't a commercial vehicle! The fucking stuipid thing is, they've 'decided' Defenders are part of it, yet a Discovery, which is about the same weight, same year and exactly the same engine isn't! It's fucking total random madness. Also, the LEZ expansion shite was signed for by Ken Livingstone just before the election he lost, to fuck up his predecessor.
Your statment stated that the new euro rules dont make a difference but they do lol pluse a defender is used in many cases as a commercal vehicle i only used a daf as an example to show how effective euro 5 measures are at reducing nox particles! plus a defender will also produce nox which is what they are trying to reduce hench the reason they have proberly included it! (i guess they havent included the disco as its not really seen as a commercial vehicle and before you say defenders are not used as commercial vehicles we look after four for a company called power team lol)

Last edited by ajamesc; 15-11-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 15-11-2011, 10:47 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Your statment stated that the new euro rules dont make a difference but they do lol pluse a defender is used in many cases as a commercal vehicle i only used a daf as an example to show how effective euro 5 measures are at reducing nox particles! plus a defender will also produce nox which is what they are trying to reduce hench the reason they have proberly included it! (i guess they havent included the disco as its not really seen as a commercial vehicle and before you say defenders are not used as commercial vehicles we look after four for a company called power team lol)
To blindly categorise a vehicle based on what the government thinks someone might use it for is totally wrong. Which is what the government excel at.

Shafting motorists every possible way they can.

TBH most parts of central London are a total shithole. Having vehicles in there poisoning people may not be such a bad thing.
Old 15-11-2011, 10:59 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

But there not sharfting most motorist are they they havent said every diesel car! there only going after hgvs and light commercials (and taxis i think) also coaches and buses but they come under hgvs. At the end of the day its what they consider to be work vehicles that produce what they are trying to reduce so theres no way round it people just have to get on with it. There is an argument as to why its wrong and why its right (unless you dont give a shit about polluting the air people have to breath). And dont say heathrow is in the zone as thats just stupid as a, the planes dont produce what there trying to reduce and b, they can hardly ground the planes can they lol

Last edited by ajamesc; 15-11-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 15-11-2011, 11:10 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

But there not sharfting most motorist are they they havent said every diesel car! there only going after hgvs and light commercials (and taxis i think) also coaches and buses but they come under hgvs. At the end of the day its what they consider to be work vehicles that produce what they are trying to reduce so theres no way round it people just have to get on with it. There is an argument as to why its wrong and why its right (unless you dont give a shit about polluting the air people have to breath).
How many times, our defender is NOT a commercial vehicle! It's not even fucking registered as one! It's yet another way to get money off motorists and price people off the road. It's only a matter of time before they lump every car into it, mark my words!

And dont say heathrow is in the zone as thats just stupid as a, the planes dont produce what there trying to reduce and b, they can hardly ground the planes can they lol
If they can't ground planes which pollute a lot more than cars/vans etc. then why the fuck can they charge people so much and potentially put companies out of business and people out of work?
Old 15-11-2011, 11:13 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

But there not sharfting most motorist are they they havent said every diesel car! there only going after hgvs and light commercials (and taxis i think) also coaches and buses but they come under hgvs. At the end of the day its what they consider to be work vehicles that produce what they are trying to reduce so theres no way round it people just have to get on with it. There is an argument as to why its wrong and why its right (unless you dont give a shit about polluting the air people have to breath). And dont say heathrow is in the zone as thats just stupid as a, the planes dont produce what there trying to reduce and b, they can hardly ground the planes can they lol
I couldnt care less about Heathrow. I do care about the government stroking people under teh pretence of saving people etc.
Do you believe their speed camera campaign also saves people ? Nope.

Certainly they could apply the rules to new vehicles. But to retrospectively apply it is just lunacy. And I feel sorry for anyone living within the zone who will get charged simply for living there !

The biggest problem every country on earth faces in the coming years is people. There are far too many people. They need to work on that long before worrying about a few vans or cars etc.
Old 15-11-2011, 11:16 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

How many times, our defender is NOT a commercial vehicle! It's not even fucking registered as one! It's yet another way to get money off motorists and price people off the road. It's only a matter of time before they lump every car into it, mark my words!

If they can't ground planes which pollute a lot more than cars/vans etc. then why the fuck can they charge people so much and potentially put companies out of business and people out of work?
it may not be used as a commercial vehicle but un lucky for you it falls into the commercial vehicle band! plus can you really not see why they couldent ground planes that polloute more than commercial vehicles how much money do you think they pay in tax? or how much money do you think they make and bring into the uk? anyway this is a very pointless argument lol

Last edited by ajamesc; 15-11-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 15-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Escow-Van

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not from London and don't know the details, but these rules seem perverse on all levels...

Am I right in understanding a V8 transit would be ok, but diesel van is not?

Wonder how many of your councillors/MPs have shares or other interests in these special exhaust manufacturers and fitters...
Old 15-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

the atmosphere in london is just not drty enough to justify this. plain and simple.

if this is a genuine health issue then why is it not applied to EVERY city in the UK??

typical eco bollocks as per fucking usual.
Old 15-11-2011, 11:50 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by Escow-Van
I'm not from London and don't know the details, but these rules seem perverse on all levels...

Wonder how many of your councillors/MPs have shares or other interests in these special exhaust manufacturers and fitters...
Yes, if we had a 'gas guzzling' V8 Defender, we'd be fine. But as we have a more economical Diesel, they've lumped it in...
Old 16-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

time to get your parents to buy a ex-TVR tuned V8 for the defender

or even better get an old chevy V8 old enough to get "visual smoke test" on emissions then poison every cunt as you drive

it is a total joke.
Old 16-11-2011, 08:55 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Although to be fair on the petrol vs diesel debate.

The fumes from a diesel exhaust are extremely poisonous and carcinogenic

But given diesel's are more economical and now more popular...as well as virtually all commercials being diesels, it's by far the easiest to target for bringing in money..
Old 16-11-2011, 09:25 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by Escow-Van

True but the petrol v8 dosent produce the harmfull nox particals that euro 5/6 are trying to stop people from breathing in
Old 16-11-2011, 11:15 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
time to get your parents to buy a ex-TVR tuned V8 for the defender

or even better get an old chevy V8 old enough to get "visual smoke test" on emissions then poison every cunt as you drive

it is a total joke.
It is a joke, but luckily we've got it exempt now. I'm buying a bowler wildcat when I've got the money though, hooning that around the LEZ will be fun.

True but the petrol v8 dosent produce the harmfull nox particals that euro 5/6 are trying to stop people from breathing in
Go seal your lips round a v8 exhaust, then tell me that shit won't kill you.
Old 16-11-2011, 11:20 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

So how do they charge or deal with foreign motorists ?
Old 16-11-2011, 11:22 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

It's England, the foreigner can do whatever the fuck he wants.
Old 16-11-2011, 11:27 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

It is a joke, but luckily we've got it exempt now. I'm buying a bowler wildcat when I've got the money though, hooning that around the LEZ will be fun.

Go seal your lips round a v8 exhaust, then tell me that shit won't kill you.
Your right that would kill you but then so would doing it with a 950cc daewoo so dosent really prove much dose it And your defender still dose more harm to air quality buy pumping about nox particals that stay in the air than both of them
Old 16-11-2011, 11:28 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

europe run to the same euro ratings as we do
Old 16-11-2011, 12:37 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Your right that would kill you but then so would doing it with a 950cc daewoo so dosent really prove much dose it And your defender still dose more harm to air quality buy pumping about nox particals that stay in the air than both of them
Oh well, the defender get's used maybe twice a month, not everyday like a lot of petrols! Fuck it, I'm going outside to rev the tits off it and pollute the LEZ, all legal ofcourse.
Old 16-11-2011, 12:40 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Oh well, the defender get's used maybe twice a month, not everyday like a lot of petrols! Fuck it, I'm going outside to rev the tits off it and pollute the LEZ, all legal ofcourse.
Yeah why not a live life on the edge
Old 16-11-2011, 12:48 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

so didnt the residents geta say in this policy? in edinburgh they tried to bring in congestion charging but the people voted no.
Old 16-11-2011, 12:54 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by fuzzy
so didnt the residents geta say in this policy? in edinburgh they tried to bring in congestion charging but the people voted no.
Nope, didn't hear a word until we got a letter basically telling us to pay £100 a day...
Old 16-11-2011, 02:14 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by fuzzy
Its nothing to do with congestion in london its the quality of the air has to meet a certian standard. Thats why there cracking down on diesel vehicals that fall into the group they class as commercial so un lucky for some and can be seen as silly it also includes a few vehicals that people use as every day transport. But its not something they just bring out you know about it a long time in advance just like we already no what there planning for euro 6 which is a few years away yet!

Last edited by ajamesc; 16-11-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 16-11-2011, 03:53 PM
squizxr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some smiley faced transits are now lez zone compliant, as quite a few people with the early mk6's complained that there vans where compliant as the they had the same engine as the compliant 2002 on vans, so with the help of ford all mk6 vans are now compliants that were registered after 2000, dvla now think all transits after 2000 are compliant even though some were late registered smiley faced ones so if you have a late reg mk5 check the lez zone site to check your van before doing anything.
Also fitting a petrol engine makes them compliant even though they arent as economical as the diesel, but saying that with the difference in price between petrol and diesel it doesnt make that much of a difference.
Hopefully that all made sense.
The above is correct!! My mate sold his smiley faced recovery truck and bought a mk6 with a mk7 front end on it!! Its a Y plate and for a while it wasnt complient, then as above, they changed the rules!!

But a glitch in the system means smiley faced transits on a W or V plate are allowed!! We bought a smiley transit about 6 weeks ago for £200 fully specced with electric windows etc, its on a W plate and its complient!!

I keep me eye out for smiley fronts and take a note of the reg if there a W or V, so far everyone ive put in (about 15) have been complient!!

I heard that if your changing the engine, is has to be age related to the vehicle!! So if youve got a R reg smiley transit, you cant put a mk6 engine in!!
Old 16-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It's England, the foreigner can do whatever the fuck he wants
So true....
Old 16-11-2011, 07:10 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

But its not something they just bring out you know about it a long time in advance just like we already no what there planning for euro 6 which is a few years away yet!

Would it matter if they give you 6 months or 2 years....some people cant afford to buy new vehicles just because some cockhead decides to move the goalposts.

And when I queried how will they charge foreign drivers, it wasnt to do with their vehicle emissions. I'm sure there are thousands or maybe tens of thousands of foreign registered vehicles in London every day. How will they charge these people for being within the zone ?
Old 16-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Ade500
Fixing Fords

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So if the mk 6 transit is non compliant in 2015 what a fucking waste my recent upgrade was that 2005 transit won't be worth a wank in three years . Where the fuck do they think all this money is coming from ? Then what did they do they do on the mk 7 then, as I thought they where all the same as the mk 6 with only a face lift? A smiley front 24v cos powered transit should have been my upgrade real future proof
Old 16-11-2011, 09:00 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Seems a V8 van or V6 petrol running on LPG is the way forward.

Quick Reply: London Emission Zone